popularity: 1
blackwell387
popularity: 0
dropshotennis
G2Fan G2Fan

* G Forum Polls

• What new rumored feature would you MOST like to see in the LG G5?
  • Dot Accessory slot for added accessories/functions
  • 0 (0%)
  • Dot larger battery
  • 0 (0%)
  • Dot 4k display
  • 0 (0%)
  • Dot improved camera (dual cameras?)
  • 0 (0%)
  • Dot moving of buttons to side from back
  • 0 (0%)
  • Dot Aluminum/metal body
  • 0 (0%)
  • Dot other
  • 0 (0%)
  • Total Members Voted: 0
  • View Topic

Author Topic: KnockOn not working  (Read 12582 times)

G2Mags88

• popularity: 0
    • View Profile
KnockOn not working
« on: September 25, 2013, 12:29:57 PM »
maybe someone can help me but when i try to use the knockon feature it doesnt work. knockoff works fine with no issues but when i try to knock to turn on the screen i get nothing. after getting no response from the knockon i try to unlock by pressing the unlock button and the screen turns on and when i go to swipe to unlock the screen shuts preventing me from unlocking the phone....very frustrating to say the least...oh and the phones less then a week old...any help is appreciated as ive looked everywhere i can think of and cant find any help....anyone else having this issue?

Babyfacemagee

• Administrator
  • popularity: 5
    • View Profile
Re: KnockOn not working
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2013, 02:29:32 AM »
I think i've heard of a similar issue from other owners.  Basically, it's something that will probably be fixed in a future OTA update issues by LG.  Let us know if you find out more about the issue...

Use this link to get $10 in FREE BITCOIN at Coinbase, the world's most popular and trusted cryptocurrency account.

jdroid

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2013, 11:15:33 PM »
You might have gotten a lemon unit, i read it before so when i bought my unit, all the issues i read was tested. I dont know if i miss any but im in the process of looking into it.

Sent from my LG-D802 using Tapatalk

Anarchaos

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2013, 06:03:18 AM »
I have the exact same issue, only difference is I had to get my touch screen replaced.
Everything worked as it should before the screen was shattered, after the replacement, knock off works but not the knock on.

Thinking of trying a factory reset and see if that fixes the issue, if not I may be returning it to the dealer under warranty.

Klotar

• Global Moderator
  • popularity: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2013, 07:36:08 AM »
Personally, I have found Knock On to work best if I double tap near the middle or bottom of the screen. 

Do I get a 100% success rate?  No, the time interval/spacing of the two knocks is important (not too close together nor too far apart) along with where you knock.  I have read that Knock On near the top of the screen can have mixed results because of the proximity sensor.

Also, some people through no fault of their own, don't "trigger" the touchscreens as well as others.  Like you know those back bus doors that have a "touch to open' bar?  Some people try to touch, press, slide -- everything and the door won't open; yet the next person just touches it and it opens -- something like that.
Klotar -- Supervising Manager,
The Department of Redundancy Department
iPhone 7 | iOS 10.1.0 | Rogers Wireless

SFPete

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2013, 01:41:52 PM »
Also, it's pretty sensitive to battery state. A really low battery hardly responds to anything but the charger.

mafiaprincess

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2014, 06:36:43 AM »
Same here. I just turned knockon off. Also when I use back power button to turn off/on I was having same problem of screen going dark after swipe. I think it's because my camera icon is in bottom right corner & sometimes I was hitting that when I swiped. I just stay away from that corner.

mafiaprincess

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2014, 01:58:28 AM »
Wrong. It wasn't anything to do with camera. It just closes. I press rear power button & screen comes on. Then goes right back off. Just now it took 4 tries. I REALLY like this phone. Hope I don't have to take it back.

Klotar

• Global Moderator
  • popularity: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2014, 08:25:18 AM »
Sometimes, the cause of the "turn on and it turns off right away" syndrome is that the Proximity and Light Sensor is covered or partially covered.  In addition, screen protectors and cases with overly large overhang over the screen can cause unexpected problems too.

One of the features of the G2 is that, to prevent accidental device turn ons in pocket, purse or backpack, if the Proximity / Light Sensor is covered, the device won't turn on or will turn off immediately.  This is not only a power saving feature but also is designed to prevent pocket dial, pocket pictures, pocket emails, etc.  On the top left side of the G2, are your Front Camera, Proximity and Light Sensor and Notification LED.  If the Proximity and Light Sensor is covered or obstructed with a screen protector, your hand, etc., the device will either not turn on or turn off immediately.  In the case of the screen protector, it depends on the angle of the light shining on the device.  The protector that comes with some models of the G2 have specific cutouts over the camera, proximity sensor and LED area.  However, some screen protectors that are sold cover the entire screen, including the proximity sensor area.

You can test this out by covering the sensor with your thumb and trying to turn the device on (using power button, knock on, or even the volume down shortcut to the camera app).  The device should not turn on.  Uncover the sensor with your thumb and it should then turn on normally.

In addition, the proximity sensor is used in conjunction with the motion sensor for the "answer a call by holding it up to your ear" feature.  When this feature is enabled (it's in the Gestures section of your settings), if the motion sensor detects that your G2 is moving upwards and the proximity/light sensor detects that there is a reduction in light levels because it's now next to your face, the display turns off to save power and to prevent accidental button presses by your cheek.

The motion sensor may also need to be re-calibrated, this can be done by going to Settings, Gestures, Motion Sensor Calibration.
Klotar -- Supervising Manager,
The Department of Redundancy Department
iPhone 7 | iOS 10.1.0 | Rogers Wireless

mafiaprincess

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2014, 03:20:18 AM »
Pretty sure it was the sensor. I usually hold my phone in landscape mode. So i was reaching over sensor to tap screen. When i read about it here i started avoiding sensor & it works great.