popularity: 1
blackwell387
popularity: 0
dropshotennis
G2Fan G2Fan

* G Forum Polls

• What new rumored feature would you MOST like to see in the LG G5?
  • Dot Accessory slot for added accessories/functions
  • 0 (0%)
  • Dot larger battery
  • 0 (0%)
  • Dot 4k display
  • 0 (0%)
  • Dot improved camera (dual cameras?)
  • 0 (0%)
  • Dot moving of buttons to side from back
  • 0 (0%)
  • Dot Aluminum/metal body
  • 0 (0%)
  • Dot other
  • 0 (0%)
  • Total Members Voted: 0
  • View Topic

Author Topic: G2 Charging Sync Cable  (Read 3177 times)

SFPete

• popularity: 0
    • View Profile
G2 Charging Sync Cable
« on: November 05, 2014, 04:46:00 PM »
I want to get a spare cable for syncing my G2 with my PC, since the issue cable is mostly dedicated to charging from the issue wall wart. Google tells me that there are extra pins in the G2 connector, so not any cable will work. Is this specific to LG, Qualcom or do other phones use the same connector. AT&T wants $15, which isn't a great deal, but there are much less expensive cables on Amazon, if I could tell which ones work.

Thanks,
Pete 

Klotar

• Global Moderator
  • popularity: 7
    • View Profile
Re: G2 Charging Sync Cable
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2014, 08:49:31 AM »
I don't believe there are any extra pins in the G2 sync cable, the micro usb spec calls for 5 pins.  However, you are correct to be wary and use/buy the 'correct' cable.

Any old micro usb cable (from the dollar store clearance bin, to gold-plated monster cables) will sync your data and charge your phone; otherwise it is not permitted to be advertised/sold as USB or carry the USB logos.

HOWEVER, not all cables are the same.  What is of most interest to smartphone users is the rate at which the phone charges.  Most modern smartphones sold within the last two years use a Qualcomm SoC (600/800/801/805).  These recent Qualcomm SoC's support Qualcomm's own "Quick Charge 2.0" specification.  The specification calls for THREE components, all of which must meet spec in order to quick charge: 1) the phone (with a Qualcomm SoC), the charger (wall charger, car charger) and the cable.

The good news is that most recent phones released in the last two years by LG, Samsung, Sony, Motorola, etc. use Qualcomm SoC's and good cables are more available than a year ago.  So you can get lucky and buy a cable for a Samsung Galaxy S4 and it will work and quick charge the G2.  But you must be cautious/wary because all cables look the same.  Because they meet USB spec (not necessarily Quick Charge spec), they are allowed to be sold even though they don't quick charge your phone.  Pins 1 and 5 on a micro usb connector are the pins that carry the power, rated to carry 1.8A at 5V DC.  To meet USB spec (prior to USB 2.0), they only had to be rated at 0.5A (500 mA) at 5V DC.

There really isn't a way to eyeball a cable to know which meets Quick Charge spec and which doesn't.  Thicker gauge wire usually is an indicator but not necessarily, as the wires may just have thick insulation on it and the wire itself may be thin.  Note also that "USB Extender cables" may transform a quick charge compatible cable into a non-quick charge cable set; what I mean by that is: good cable + bad extender = bad cable plus extender.  Longer cables mean loss of impedance (no, I may have the terminology incorrect but...) and that is why most cables are two feet or three feet and you don't see many long ones.  To make up for the loss of impedance in a longer cable, the maker must use either thicker gauge wire or better materials (better conducting wire), which costs money.

Woops, I guess I am rambling.  Personally, I have had good luck buying Samsung Note3/4 & GS4/5 chargers and cables, which are more widely available than LG stuff.  The charger should be at least 1.5A (1.8A is better) and all of the cables that came with them (I got them on eBay as a set) have worked great for me (no Slow Charging message).  Good luck!
Klotar -- Supervising Manager,
The Department of Redundancy Department
iPhone 7 | iOS 10.1.0 | Rogers Wireless

SFPete

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2014, 02:41:48 PM »
According to a post on the XDA-Developers.com site, 'Proprietary LG G2 USB 3.0' the working cable is USB 3.0 rated with 11 pins. I don't know whether this is standard for USB 3.0, they din't say. If this really the case (LG only), are we stuck with ISP's cables?

Pete

Klotar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2014, 05:38:11 PM »
Yeah, there is some confusion (likely on my part too!) -- USB 3.0 (the spec) has higher transmission speeds, can carry more current, etc. but can be on a USB 2.0 cable, meaning it is compatible with USB 2.0 but capable of USB 3.0 performance.  However, USB 3.0 (earlier standard) had entirely different connectors; but now the Type A connector is designed to be interoperable between 2.0 and 3.0.  Two of the elven pins are only used in Type B connectors and one seems to be a redundant ground. Six other pins (3.0) are "paired" down to three pins (2.0).

Theoretically, if you can be assured of getting a USB 3.0 cable, it sure sounds like it should support Quick Charge.

brianferguson1959

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2015, 08:37:28 PM »
Get yourself a cable for a Nexus 7 and use AC adapter with it or any cable for that matter or any phone charger which fits.

Klotar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2015, 09:39:52 AM »
Get yourself a cable for a Nexus 7 and use AC adapter with it or any cable for that matter or any phone charger which fits.

Yes; however -- the Nexus 7 (2012) charger is rated at 5.0V 2.0A, whereas the Nexus 7 (2013) charger is rated at 5.2V 1.35A.

While I might venture that the cables are the same, the wall units (chargers) are not, so I would say that the Nexus 7 (2013) charger would not be as suitable for QuickCharge at 1.35A output.

brianferguson1959

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2015, 11:09:29 AM »
Not true as the phone will accept up to a limit and if too high thermal shutdown occurs however unless you use eqipment that NASA uses you are very safe.

Klotar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2015, 01:32:54 PM »
Not true as the phone will accept up to a limit and if too high thermal shutdown occurs however unless you use eqipment that NASA uses you are very safe.

Oh, I was not speaking from a safety standpoint.  Almost any 5V charger and USB cable will work then, even old chargers from 5 years ago (e.g. 650 MA).

What I was speaking of are cables/chargers that meet the Qualcomm Quickcharge 2.0 spec.  That is, if you want your G3 to charge from 10% to 100% in a little over 90 minutes, the phone, charger and cable has to meet that spec -- and the Nexus 7 (2013) charger does not cut it (1.35A is too low).

brianferguson1959

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2015, 09:44:21 PM »
I'm able to fully charge under 90 minutes using my 2012 Nexus 7 cable and AC adapter so I'm not sure there is any diference in pin out respect between Qualcom specs and available quality cables. I can go from around 15 % to full charge in about 75 minutes.

Klotar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2015, 05:27:30 PM »
As I had mentioned, the Nexus 7 (2012) charger is fine since it is 2.0A, it is the Nexus 7 (2013) charger that is 1.35A.  I have both.