popularity: 1
blackwell387
popularity: 0
dropshotennis
G2Fan G2Fan

* G Forum Polls

• What new rumored feature would you MOST like to see in the LG G5?
  • Dot Accessory slot for added accessories/functions
  • 0 (0%)
  • Dot larger battery
  • 0 (0%)
  • Dot 4k display
  • 0 (0%)
  • Dot improved camera (dual cameras?)
  • 0 (0%)
  • Dot moving of buttons to side from back
  • 0 (0%)
  • Dot Aluminum/metal body
  • 0 (0%)
  • Dot other
  • 0 (0%)
  • Total Members Voted: 0
  • View Topic

Author Topic: A couple of questions involving International LG G2  (Read 3374 times)

msam8

• popularity: 0
    • View Profile
A couple of questions involving International LG G2
« on: January 28, 2014, 03:30:19 AM »
Hi
I upgraded my phone from Samsung Ace Plus (running android 2.x) to LG G2 running Android 4.2.2 (JellyBean) and I'm pretty much content with the new powerful hardware leap I got with LG. I just have a few minor issues that I need to understand:

1) On my old Samsung, I setup my phone to have it save any new contact, by default, to my Google account (NOT on the phone memory) but I'm unable to find a similar option on LG because whenever I save a new contact, I have to switch the store location from phone to my gmail account manually which is kinda a hassle. Is there any way to have ALL my future contacts I create saved by default on Google account?

2) Whatsapp used to have that "water splash" like sound when I receive any message and that sound was non-intrusive and still audible for me but I don't have it anymore when I switched to LG G2 and I don't know why since LG is dominating with their intrusive notification sounds that almost none of them interests me. How can I get the default Whatsapp notification sounds?

3) I also used to have unread/missed notifications, after I unlock my Samsung phone, as "numbers" showing up as badges on e.g. the default SMS messaging app, Facebook...etc but I don't have these kind of badges anymore on LG G2 new OS. Is there anyway to have these badges back?

Many Thanks in advance

Klotar

• Global Moderator
  • popularity: 7
    • View Profile
Re: A couple of questions involving International LG G2
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2014, 08:24:25 AM »
Hello,

My default has been google contacts for my last couple of devices (Samsung Galaxy S3 and LG G2) , which was initiated by an export to google contacts from my BlackBerry.  Because my contacts and calendar are the first things I sync when I get a new device, I have not actually had a "phone" contact; other than the default contact (myself) which I did not save/alter until after my google contacts had sync'd over.
Now, I think I have a work around.  First, are there any contacts in your G2 that are still in "Phone" contacts?  If so, set them up as google contacts and delete them from phone contacts.  Next, close Contacts and re-open it.  Click the menu bar and select Settings.  Click "Contacts to Display" and then select your gmail/google account (or main one, if you have more than one).  If it was previously set to "All Contacts", I think that is what causes Phone contacts to be the default.  Setting this to your gmail/google contacts account SHOULD set it as default, so that a new contact is not saved to the phone, in addition to only displaying your google contacts.  Let us know if that works.

Next, I do not remember offhand if/what WhatsApp's default notification sound was.  On the assumption that you've gone through them all and have not found it, it is possible that it was a notification sound that was on your Ace Plus but not on the G2.  If you could remember the name of it (I know that you said you remember what it sounded like but not the name of it), someone has probably extracted it either from WhatsApp or the Ace Plus and it's probably out there on the 'net for downloading.  Not a terribly helpful answer, I know -- but from what I've been able to glean in googling around, WhatsApp will use the system's default notification tone when installed.  One way to test/check that: temporarily change the tone to something you will recognize.  Uninstall WhatsApp but first reset it's cache and settings (go to Settings, Apps, and select WhatsApp), click Clear Cache, then Clear Data, and then Uninstall.  Then go to the Play Store and download/install WhatsApp again.  You will have to re-input your number and account info again, as we cleared the data.  After the install, go to WhatsApp's Settings and see what the notification sound is set to: is it set to what you changed it to before we uninstalled?  Or is it set to something else?  If something else, I believe that this is the default.  Let us know what that default is (is it WhatsApp specific or one of the notification tones that came with the G2?).

Next, as for Unread Counts (unread badges); I believe that natively and on the stock LG UI, it only shows notification badges for Gmail, Missed Calls and SMS.  By your post, I take it that it's not working (at all)?  That aside for a moment, it sort of irked me that "only" Gmail, Missed Calls and SMS had notification badges -- what about 3rd party apps?  While I like the LG UI, I decided, amongst other reasons to go back to using a 3rd party launcher (in my case Nova Launcher) as I did on my S3.  Using a launcher that supports unread badges is a way to get Unread Counts/badges, depending on what 'service' app is used.  In my case the service app is called "Missed It!".  I am not sure if this is TMI (too much info) at this point, especially if this does not interest you; but for me, the combination of Nova Launcher (to replace the LG Home Launcher) and Missed It! as my service provider (not ISP, hehe) meant that I could have unread counts/badges on ANY 3rd party app (BBM, Kik, WhatsApp, Voxer, Hangouts, Skype, Textra, etc.) along with the native apps (Missed Calls, Messages, Gmail) and is somewhat future proof as it supports any app that puts a notification in the notification bar -- even if the app hasn't been written yet.  If this interests you, we can continue but if not, we can look further as to why your native counts/badges don't seem to be working.
Klotar -- Supervising Manager,
The Department of Redundancy Department
iPhone 7 | iOS 10.1.0 | Rogers Wireless

msam8

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2014, 07:02:11 AM »
Hi
I truly appreciate a lot your wonderful details answers   :D. Thanks a lot for your time

Regarding Whatsapp, you are right. I checked my old Samsung phone and it turns out that this notification sound is something that is related to the OS (gingerbread in this case) notification tones and it's called "Bubbles". In fact I like most of these ringtones/notification sounds that existed on my old Samsung since they are non-intrusive and short in length as opposed to LG's which are long in length and noisy for just a notification!!. I just don't know how to extract these from my old phone as they are part of the OS :(. If you know of any way, then please let me know :)

For the badges, yes I don't have them AT ALL and I don't know why. I'm not too much frantic about them but at least I'd be satisfied by badges on the apps which are supposed to have them like the phone, messaging, & facebook the same way my old phone did. Now I missed them for some reason on Android 4.2.2 with LG's skin

Regarding saving my contacts to google as default, I wasn't able to achieve any success. I followed your advice in the sense that I set the option to show contacts ONLY from my gmail account (PS I don't have any contacts saved on phone), then quit the app and restarted it. Now tried to create a new contact but still it defaults to phone :( I changed the default location from phone to Google thinking that it will "remember" by settings on future contacts but trying to create another contact still shows me the "phone" option by default!
I hope I won't have this issue when I get the KitKat version so I'm waiting impatiently and wished if there's something I can do about this issue now rather than wait for some weeks till Kitkat arrives

Many thanks to your time!

Klotar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2014, 07:24:45 AM »
Hi again,

I'm going to reply in stages, the notification tones part first.  I found a site that has hosted a file with extracted notification tones from a Samsung Galaxy S3.  I know that an S3 isn't an Ace Plus but they do have a file in there named "Bubbles" (and since both devices are Samsung devices, what are the odds the notification name would be the same for two different Samsung devices?).

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B78PXSShu-RkUTI5NlVwTnhkSmM/edit?pli=1

I downloaded Bubbles just to test (you can download the whole set or just individual tones), and although I was a bit worried about .ogg files, it plays just fine on my G2, so you should be able to copy it and any other ones over to your Notifications folder.  I don't know if it's the "right" Bubbles that you are looking for but it sounds unobtrusive.

I'll reply about the badges and default contacts when I get a chance.

Edit: thanks for giving me the motivation to get around to looking for and downloading Bug's Story, it's now my default ringtone again.  :)
« Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 07:41:43 AM by Klotar »

msam8

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2014, 08:12:06 AM »
Yes, it's the same sound I used to have my old phone and I like it for being clear and non-intrusive. I just hope these sounds are genuine ports of the original files!

Thanks a lot!

Klotar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2014, 08:39:40 AM »
Okay, next up is Contacts.

Disclaimer: not sure if this will work, as according to my settings, I have no defaults set.

Go to Settings, Apps, swipe over to the ALL tab, scroll down to Contacts.  In there are 3 sections: Storage, Cache and Defaults, with a clear button in each.  There is also a Contacts Storage app listed in addition to Contacts.  I think that clearing one or more of those in either or both apps may do it.  Yes, my wording there was not very re-assuring -- honestly, I do not know.

While the prospect of losing all your contacts is worrisome (who wouldn't be?), fear not: your google contacts and calendar's state are saved on the Google servers.  Let's say we end up deleting all our contacts on the G2, this in turn syncs back to gmail/google and now you have no contacts on your device or in gmail.  Your contacts can be restored, anywhere from 10 minutes ago to 30 days ago or anywhere in between, e.g. yesterday.  I have tested this myself (not on the G2 but on my S3), it works.  After the restore, the contacts will sync back to the device. 

In the event of disaster: just go over to gmail on your PC (not on the G2) and click the Contacts dropdown (where it currently shows Gmail) and it should switch over to the Contact Manager.  Click the "More" dropdown and select Restore Contacts.  From here, decide how far back to restore from.  This can be repeated to go back farther if say, your first restore didn't go back far enough.

I am not 100% confident that this whole thing will work (resetting the default, I mean) because any posts I have found regarding this issue (where phone contacts is default for saving new contacts) has anyone posted that this got resolved.  There are two sets of G2 users: one set has the default location set to google (myself included) and the other set has it set to Phone and cannot change the default to google. 

The only other solution is a RTF (Reset To Factory), but that would be a last resort.  While this has a high probability of working, it is drastic as basically you are setting up everything and reinstalling apps from scratch.

As a sidebar: google makes it easy and convenient to change devices by backing up settings and app data to google servers, so that when you retire an Android device and switch to a new Android device, google restores many of your settings (such as saved Wi-Fi networks and many preferences) onto your new device.  HOWEVER, it seems to cause issues elsewhere that seemingly cannot be solved by conventional means.  I had to reset my G2 to solve an issue.  But first, I disabled the automatic save and restore of my settings so that after I did a Reset to Factory on my G2, that my problem(s) did not immediately come back.  Note: disabling automatic save / restore does not affect contacts or calendar.  Then I reinstalled all apps (not automatically, but one by one) and did all my preferences, etc. again.  My issue was that my LED would not work with a 3rd party app called Light Flow and to me, this was an essential app that I had to get working.  This auto restore thing may also somehow be the cause of the unread badges not working.

Anyways, the last thing I want to do is scare a G2 user, sorry if I did that or if I rambled on too long and made things seem more complex than it is.  So let me summarize:

1)  try resetting the cache and data in Contacts and Contact Storage.
2) if that didn't work and you ended up losing your contacts altogether, go to Gmail on your PC and restore your contacts.
3) consider the option of doing a factory reset to fix default contacts storage location and possibly unread count badges.  However, if you do decide to go that route, disable the backup/restore in two places: the Play Store (disable auto update apps) and in Settings -> Backup and Reset (disable back up my data, and automatic restore).  That is also where you do your Reset to Factory, btw.

Update: apparently this is not G2 specific, it also occurs on other Android phones.  Clearing the cache and clearing the data in Contacts (not Contact Storage), should clear this up.  Reboot after exiting settings.  Good luck.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 03:57:25 PM by Klotar »

Klotar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2014, 10:07:43 AM »
Unread counts: I don't have a fix for you but...

There is an app in the Play Store, (if you don't want to go the replacement Launcher and count service provider route I described above), which is free and apparently works on SMS, emails and missed calls:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.kanokgems.smswidget&feature=search_result

I have searched around and don't see much on the topic that would be helpful.

msam8

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2014, 05:13:25 PM »
I wasn't able to have any success with the contacts problem. I don't know why but may be I'm dumb or something's wrong somewhere. Anyway I'll wait for the upgrade hoping that it will fix this issue + the badges issue since I'm not interested to d/l an application just for something that should have been there already!

What teases me is that my old Samsung phone which I still have access to has an option in the settings of the contacts tab called "Save new contacts to" and the options are:
Always ask
phone
sim
google

but for some reason I can't see that option in 4.2.2!