popularity: 1
blackwell387
popularity: 0
dropshotennis
G2Fan G2Fan

* G Forum Polls

• What new rumored feature would you MOST like to see in the LG G5?
  • Dot Accessory slot for added accessories/functions
  • 0 (0%)
  • Dot larger battery
  • 0 (0%)
  • Dot 4k display
  • 0 (0%)
  • Dot improved camera (dual cameras?)
  • 0 (0%)
  • Dot moving of buttons to side from back
  • 0 (0%)
  • Dot Aluminum/metal body
  • 0 (0%)
  • Dot other
  • 0 (0%)
  • Total Members Voted: 0
  • View Topic

Author Topic: Music files not transferring with all correct data  (Read 2893 times)

spartricus

• popularity: 0
    • View Profile
Music files not transferring with all correct data
« on: December 04, 2013, 12:42:22 PM »
Hi, I'm new to the forum and seeking help!  I've had an EE (UK) LG G2 D802 for about 7 weeks now.  I think it's a great device except for one thing (well two, really), which has been a problem since I got it ....  When transferring music files to the device from my laptop the music gets there (i.e. it's stored and plays), but the first letter of the artist, album name, track titles are substituted with an Eastern (Korean, I think) symbol/letter, and a stock wallpaper goes where the album artwork should be!  The only music on there that's unaffected is the pre-loaded Vienna Boys' Choir album!
I've referred the matter back to LG on numerous occasions and they've even had it back in for a software reload, but it's made no difference at all.  I'm still a bit old fashioned and don't bother with downloads - LG suggested it might be to do with the servers it was stored on, but this is irrelevant as all the music is sourced from original, legitimate cd's bought on the high street, which have been copied to my laptop via Windows Media Player.  My laptop is just over a year old and has recently been upgraded from Windows 8 to 8.1, but hasn't worked on either version.  File transfer has been tried both wirelessly and via hard cable and sourced from the WMP library via sync and copy and paste in Windows.  I've also tried copying from Dropbox and a backup external harddrive, with the same result.
This has always been a simple 'copy and paste' operation on previous handsets (Samsung S3; HTC Sensation; HTC Touch Diamond 2 etc).
Any suggestions / solutions gratefully recieved 'cos the boys at LG Customer Service seem unable to help and keep going round in circles.  I've suggested that they simply replace the handset as it could be a rogue, but they are extremely resistant to the idea, and I'm at my wits end!  Help!

Klotar

• Global Moderator
  • popularity: 7
    • View Profile
Re: Music files not transferring with all correct data
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2013, 12:56:10 PM »
Sounds either like the Music Player is reading the tags incorrectly or they somehow got scrambled (not saying this is the case).

Here is an interesting article.  Besides some background preamble, there is a tip to reset the cache on the music player to force it to re-read the tags.

http://www.rosshemsley.co.uk/2011/09/android-id3-tag-woes-and-fix/

Let us know how you make out.
Klotar -- Supervising Manager,
The Department of Redundancy Department
iPhone 7 | iOS 10.1.0 | Rogers Wireless

spartricus

• popularity: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2013, 08:28:12 AM »
Thanks for the comments and pointing me towards the article.  Unfortunately, I'm no further forward.  I tried downloading a couple of tag app's which seemed promising, but would hold the information once loaded.  I then got onto LG again, but with the same results - a Level 1 advisor (I've got responses from 5 different ones so far), making the same suggestions that their colleagues had made previously, and then treating the complaint as "completed".  There's no continuity, and no means of replying directly to the e-mail from them.  Each time I get back to them, I have to effectively start afresh.  I finally managed to get a Level 2 advisor ("Pascal") to ring me.  After talking through the issues, and confirming that I'd already tried the "solutions" he was suggesting, and reminding him that if he checked the case history he'd find it had already been back in once for a software reboot, he said he'd go away and talk to R&D and get back to me later in the day.  That was yesterday and still nothing!  I'm loathe to ring them back because the helpdesk no. is a premium rate and it's already cost me nearly 20 with no benefit.  Like many big organsiations, it seems that LG's "Customer Services" are only interested if there's nothing wrong, or it's a common fault!  And it's a real shame because, other than a couple of minor niggles, like the limited memory (my network - EE - only had the 16GB version available) and no memory card slot, the G2 is, otherwise, a brilliant handset with a great battery life.
Anyway, any further suggestions about the music files issue would be gratefully received.

Klotar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2013, 12:02:36 PM »
At this point, the usual suggestion might be to reset to factory but I don't like saying it and no one likes hearing it because after all that, it may not solve the problem.

How about trying a 3rd party Music Player and see how that one does?  My suggestion would be VLC Media Player.  Not the most flashy one out there but very robust IMO (I don't run it on my G2 but do on my Nexus 7, so not sure how tags and playlists, etc. show up).  I've heard a lot of good things about Poweramp; a paid app but there is a trial version (15 days full functionality), the screenshots show tags and such -- we can see how that reads tags.  If it reads them incorrectly, then it's either the music files (somehow) or device or OS.  If not, then it's the stock app.  We'd barely be farther along than we are now but we'd be somewhere!  :)

Edit: here is a link to the trial version of Poweramp https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.maxmpz.audioplayer&hl=en
« Last Edit: December 10, 2013, 12:50:37 PM by Klotar »

Klotar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2013, 11:50:30 AM »
Read this on another forum, credit to poster kramerman342:

I may have a solution to your music management problem with the LG G2. (and I am new to forums, so I may be doing this wrong)
    I just got my LG G2 yesterday, but I found the same problem you did. I came up with a solution (That worked!)
    First, you'll need to take the music off your device and put it on a computer.
    You'll next want to go into the properties of the file (You can highlight all the files at once!) and look in the section labeled "Comments." This spot needs to be EMPTY in order to organize properly! Hope that helps!