popularity: 1
blackwell387
popularity: 0
dropshotennis
G2Fan G2Fan

* G Forum Polls

• What new rumored feature would you MOST like to see in the LG G5?
  • Dot Accessory slot for added accessories/functions
  • 0 (0%)
  • Dot larger battery
  • 0 (0%)
  • Dot 4k display
  • 0 (0%)
  • Dot improved camera (dual cameras?)
  • 0 (0%)
  • Dot moving of buttons to side from back
  • 0 (0%)
  • Dot Aluminum/metal body
  • 0 (0%)
  • Dot other
  • 0 (0%)
  • Total Members Voted: 0
  • View Topic

Author Topic: Lost data/USB cable  (Read 1783 times)

nickw

• popularity: 0
    • View Profile
Lost data/USB cable
« on: January 28, 2014, 02:33:16 PM »
I'm very happy with my LG G2 D802 smartphone in white, bought last October.  With the promotion pack folding case, it seems fairly cool.  My problem is really with LG in the UK, who cannot replace the data/USB cable that came with the pack, and that I recently lost.
The cable is special, in that a standard generic micro USB cable either fails to provide any charge from the travel adapter, or using a very short USB lead it takes 4 to 6 hours to charge to less than 100%.
LG sales have been very helpful, but it seems weird that such a high tech phone company can't even give me a replacement out of stock from somewhere inEurope, or even give me a part number so I can try overseas.
Any shared experiences or advice very welcome
regards to the forum

Klotar

• Global Moderator
  • popularity: 7
    • View Profile
Re: Lost data/USB cable
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2014, 04:30:39 PM »
Cables for the G2 that support Fast Charge are a point of contention.  People may recommend various cables on the forums that the posters possibly have not tried or have ordered but not received yet, but others may order based on that recommendation.

It is generally agreed upon that the gauge of the cable should be 24 AWG and less than 1 meter in length.

That said, I personally ordered two of this model of charger (it was a listing for a set of 2 chargers and 2 cables) :

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/ETA-U90JWE-OEM-Samsung-Galaxy-S-4-IV-i9500-Wall-Travel-Charger-USB-Data-Cable-/141028339048?pt=US_Cell_Phone_PDA_Chargers&hash=item20d5f1ad68

While they are listed as for being for the Samsung Galaxy S4, they are 2A chargers.  I do not get the Slow Charging notification.  The part number is ETA-U90JWE.  Whether they are counterfeit/knockoffs or genuine, I cannot confirm -- all I can tell you is that I ordered this model/part number and the charger + cable combo supports the Qualcomm Quick Charge 2.0 specification mode (+/- 1% per minute charge rate) on my G2.

My personal recommendation, based on the fact that OEM G2 chargers and cables seem to be hard to find, is to go to your local carrier's store and get a charger and cable combo for the Samsung Galaxy S4 (should be available everywhere).  You can either test it out on the spot if they let you, or tell the salesman that you need this charger/cable combo to support the Snapdragon 800's Quick Charge mode (open the pkg up in the store after purchase, if you get a Slow Charge message, ask for a refund on the spot).

In addition, you might install an app that estimates for you the current/charge rate.  I use "Battery Monitor Widget Pro" (non-Pro version available in the Play Store).  I look for a current of more than 1300 mA (along with, of course, no Slow Charge message). 

NOTE: the apps cannot measure current directly, apparently.  What they do is measure the battery level at two intervals and then calculate the difference based on time (something like that) to determine the current.  So it's not an exact science like using a multi-meter would be -- that's why I loosely say, look for 1300+.

Edit: if you really only want the cable and not the charger, take your charger with you to the store and use it to test the cable before walking out.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 04:32:17 PM by Klotar »
Klotar -- Supervising Manager,
The Department of Redundancy Department
iPhone 7 | iOS 10.1.0 | Rogers Wireless

nickw

• popularity: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2014, 03:34:28 AM »
Many thanks for your comprehensive and informed reply.  Very much appreciated, particularly the attention drawn to the 'fast charge' mode I was unaware of.
regards
NickW
 ;D

Klotar

• Global Moderator
  • popularity: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2014, 08:56:23 AM »
No problem, and let us know how it turned out (what you ended up with and if it met spec).

For those interested, here is an article regarding the Quick Charge spec and the Snapdragon 800 chip (which the G2's have) :

http://www.qualcomm.com/media/blog/2013/02/20/qualcomm-quick-charge-20-less-time-charging-more-time-doing

Klotar -- Supervising Manager,
The Department of Redundancy Department
iPhone 7 | iOS 10.1.0 | Rogers Wireless