August 16, 2017, 09:10:30 AM

collapse

* 'Like' And 'Follow' Us!

Ledger Wallet protects your bitcoins

Author Topic: Slow Charging Message  (Read 21554 times)

SFPete

• popularity: 0
    • View Profile
Slow Charging Message
« on: October 05, 2013, 07:17:17 PM »
Why do I get a message that charging could be faster when I plug into the 2 amp port on my Unitek USB 3.0 hub? Is there a switch hidden away in the system? Or might the port not be supplying the advertised power? How can I tell?  Nice new G2 from AT&T.

Thanks for any help,
SFPete

Klotar

• Global Moderator
  • popularity: 7
    • View Profile
Re: Slow Charging Message
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2013, 09:06:57 AM »
It is my [limited] understanding that the USB 3.0 spec has a maximum draw of 1.5A in Charging Mode (with two other lower charge states -- 150 mA and 900 mA).  USB 3.1 spec has a 2.0A Charging Mode.

Still, since you mention that your hub is 2.0A capable, the next question is, are you using the stock cable that came with the LG G2?  If not, can you give it a try?  The USB 3.1 Charging Spec requires a cable capable of 5A even if you are drawing only 2A but I do not know if the G2 can "detect" if the cable is 5A capable.

Anyways, let us know if you are using the stock cable.  Also, there are a few apps/widgets out there that tell you exactly what the current draw is on your device.  One that I use is called "Battery Monitor Widget Pro" and is available in the Play Store (I believe there is a free version too).  That said, I do not have a G2 yet so the app may not be available for the G2.

The Qualcomm Snapdragon 800 Quick Charge 2.0 specification mentions that both the device (phone) and charger must be compatible; which sounds like (to me at least) that there is more to it than just the milliAmp/Amp output.  I'm not an electronics guru, just an ordinary joe -- but that's my take on possibilities as to why you aren't getting Quick Charge mode.  When I do get my G2, hopefully this month, I too get to see what chargers and cables that I have accumulated over the last few years will and will not work in Quick Charge mode (most, I suspect won't).  More importantly, if I order new chargers/cables, I'll be very disappointed if the new one(s) I order won't be Quick Charge capable -- so I am reading up as much as I can on it.  :)
« Last Edit: October 07, 2013, 09:08:57 AM by Klotar »
Klotar -- Supervising Manager,
The Department of Redundancy Department
iPhone 7 | iOS 10.1.0 | Rogers Wireless

SFPete

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2013, 04:30:45 PM »
Yes, it's the standard issue LG cable. I'm told that there are no USB 3.0 cables with the mini (or is it micro?) end. Please suggest the widgets/apps that measure the current. Maybe I'm missing something.

SFPete

Klotar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2013, 06:59:07 AM »
Hi SFPete,

Here is the app I use on my Galaxy S3.  I am hoping it will work on the G2 when I get it:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=ccc71.bmw&hl=en

I like it because I set up a widget that tells me how many mA is be drawn while charging and used while discharging.  The information on the widget (what it shows, where it shows, and what colours) is completely configurable.

Let's see if I can figure out how to upload...
« Last Edit: October 09, 2013, 07:18:39 AM by Klotar »

SFPete

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2013, 05:00:25 PM »
Well, it's something mysterious in the G2. Plugged in to the LG wall adapter, the charging rate is pretty good. There seem to be charging only cables on Amazon. I may get one of them, since I'd rather not have to crawl around on the floor.

SFPete

Klotar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2013, 09:41:12 AM »
I read on another board that the Slow Charge message threshold is set by each carrier.  In the case of Verizon, it apparently will come up if the current is under 1500 mA.  I am skeptical of that because of other users saying that they are using 1A chargers and not getting that message; however, I did not take note of the carrier in those cases.

With respect to Verizon, they say that they are changing the threshold from 1500 mA to 500 mA in a future software upgrade.  TBH, I wish they didn't because now it will be hard to distinguish Quick Charge from other charging speeds above [standard] USB speeds.

I'm still curious though, what the current draw is on your USB 3.0 hub, in that it triggers the slow charge message.  Did you install the app I linked?

SFPete

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2013, 01:10:09 PM »
Using CurrentWidget I get the following readings:

from the wall 1500-1600 mA (looks like the widget works)
   from Powered USB 3.0 hub
          both data and charging ports show 100-160 mA with rapid changes 

Information on the G2 is still very sparse; I have hopes for more info from somewhere. 

Klotar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2013, 05:13:39 PM »
Wow, very odd.

Just before throwing in the towel, have you installed LG's USB Drivers?  Typically, USB Drivers are for data transfer, media transfer etc., but maybe it will "kick something in" and somehow invoke faster charging than 100 - 160 mA.

http://g2-lg.com/download-lg-g2-android-usb-drivers-ver-3-10/

Worth a shot unless you've already done so or installed LG's PC Suite (or whatever that's called).

Klo

SMR561

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2013, 11:45:53 AM »
How can I get a new stock cable?  I like to have one for the wall and one for my computer.  The verizon cables don't work.

mugenpower_marketing

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2013, 03:51:04 AM »
Verizon G2 is a very special phone,  during we R&D the Battery Case of Verizon G2, I test many original USB cables and Chargers, we defined which condition will make Verizon G2 “slow charging” and “normal charging” and I want to share, actually no much theory on it:
If the Verizon G2 battery over around 70%, many 1A chargers or cables going to charge no “slow charging” will happen. Under 70%, many chargers or cables, plug-in will have “slow charging”, because the battery inside Verizon G2 is too dry. I think many G2 users have this experience too.
By my testing, here some cables and chargers combination will not happen “slow charging” even the battery inside is dry(0%):

Any 1.5A Brandname charger or over + Nokia CA-1010 cable
Any 1.5A Brandname charger or over + Nokia CA-179 cable(LONG CABLE)
Any 1.5A Brandname charger or over + SonyEricsson EC300 cable
Any 1.5A Brandname charger or over + BlackBerry Original short USB cable(0.3m)
Samsung ETA-U90UWE 2A Charger + it’s original cable

I hope my info can help any Verizon G2 users confusing about that