popularity: 1
blackwell387
popularity: 0
dropshotennis
G2Fan G2Fan

* G Forum Polls

• What new rumored feature would you MOST like to see in the LG G5?
  • Dot Accessory slot for added accessories/functions
  • 0 (0%)
  • Dot larger battery
  • 0 (0%)
  • Dot 4k display
  • 0 (0%)
  • Dot improved camera (dual cameras?)
  • 0 (0%)
  • Dot moving of buttons to side from back
  • 0 (0%)
  • Dot Aluminum/metal body
  • 0 (0%)
  • Dot other
  • 0 (0%)
  • Total Members Voted: 0
  • View Topic

Author Topic: People can't hear me  (Read 15042 times)

margol1

• popularity: 0
    • View Profile
People can't hear me
« on: March 15, 2014, 04:14:59 PM »
I have D801 for three months. About a month ago, without any visible reason people stopped hearing me during a phone call. I was advised to make a factory reset. I did it and the problem has been solved that time. However, yesterday I got this problem again  >:(. I don't like the idea to make a factory reset every month. Is anybody else encountering such problem ? What could be the solution?

nash211

• View Profile
Re: People can't hear me
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2014, 12:44:51 PM »
  Do you have any battery saver or internet booster etc apps installed if so un install and try again

margol1

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2014, 03:01:52 PM »
To the best of my knowledge, not. Moreover, I definitely installed nothing before it happened last time. By the way, people can hear me, if I use speaker. There are many identical complaints in the net, but I did not succeed a reasonable solution. And LG, as usual, keeps silence  >:(.

Klotar

• Global Moderator
  • popularity: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2014, 09:13:43 AM »
I haven't run into this yet myself.

To eliminate fully a microphone hardware issue (I know you said that the mic works on speakerphone), have you tested Voice Mate, or voice search on Google Search, or recording a voice memo -- basically anything that uses the microphone -- to rule out the microphone from the equation?

If the microphone is working in all the above tests, then it may be the phone app that is the issue although I must admit that I am baffled that if that were the case, that your factory reset did not fix that.

Do you periodically "reboot" the phone (shut down and restart)?  A phone reboot (apologies if you know this already) is like rebooting your computer -- and just like home computers, doing so every once in a while fixes mysterious issues that can't always be explained (like the X-Files!).  I know that some users may feel that rebooting phones shouldn't be necessary, and I agree; but smartphones these days are not far off from computers.

I also agree that doing a factory reset every month would not be a solution.  But let us know if you do periodic reboots (I don't mean every day or even every few days but I think weekly would be reasonable).
Klotar -- Supervising Manager,
The Department of Redundancy Department
iPhone 7 | iOS 10.1.0 | Rogers Wireless

margol1

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2014, 03:20:58 PM »
I haven't run into this yet myself.

To eliminate fully a microphone hardware issue (I know you said that the mic works on speakerphone), have you tested Voice Mate, or voice search on Google Search, or recording a voice memo -- basically anything that uses the microphone -- to rule out the microphone from the equation?

If the microphone is working in all the above tests, then it may be the phone app that is the issue although I must admit that I am baffled that if that were the case, that your factory reset did not fix that.

Do you periodically "reboot" the phone (shut down and restart)?  A phone reboot (apologies if you know this already) is like rebooting your computer -- and just like home computers, doing so every once in a while fixes mysterious issues that can't always be explained (like the X-Files!).  I know that some users may feel that rebooting phones shouldn't be necessary, and I agree; but smartphones these days are not far off from computers.

I also agree that doing a factory reset every month would not be a solution.  But let us know if you do periodic reboots (I don't mean every day or even every few days but I think weekly would be reasonable).

You saved my life  :), thank you so much! Your advice to reboot the phone solved the problem. Fairly saying, I did not know such option exists for phones in general. I am routinely using it in my computers, but I did not know how to do it in LG G2. Fortunately, it's not a problem to find out in Google:
How To Force Restart/Reboot - LG G2
Thank you again so much !

margol1

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2014, 08:53:25 AM »
It came back again !!!  >:( >:( >:(
Unfortunately, it was only a one time solution. After about a week, the problem came back. But this time rebooting does not help anymore. I am getting crazy :'( :-[

Klotar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2014, 09:43:31 AM »
Okay, bummer that the problem came back.

I assume that since you have a D801, that you are on T-Mo and that the G2 is T-Mo branded?  Have you upgraded to 4.4.2 Kitkat?  You mentioned that you did a factory reset, was that reset done after the Kitkat upgrade? (Of course, that answer depends on if you upgraded or not).

Next, do you have a case on the phone?  The reason I ask is that certain variants of the G2 have a secondary "noise cancelling microphone" on the device, in addition to the main microphone, which is on the bottom left of the G2.  Some G2's have the secondary noise cancelling microphone on the top right of the phone.  Other G2's have the secondary noise cancelling microphone on the back of the phone somewhere, above the flash I think (sorry, I do not know which models have the holes for these noise cancelling mic's where). 

Some cases or covers, while they do fit the G2, do not have the holes in the right places.  In general, everyone is aware that physically, the Verizon G2 differs from all the other variants, but not as many people are aware that the other variants may have the secondary mic holes in different places.  Some cases have the hole in both places, some in only one of the two places, and other cases might not have any hole at all.  Yeah, it's a long shot, but if you do have a case, take a look and see if/where the holes are.

Other than that, you didn't answer my earlier question (probably because we thought the issue was solved by the reboot) as to whether your voice recorder or google search using voice still works, by testing these right after you run into the issue with the other party not being able to hear you.  If they can't hear you, yet the microphone works for voice memos or voice searches, it would likely indicate that the hardware is okay and it's a software issue.

So, summary: have you upgraded to T-Mo 4.4.2 Kitkat, do you use a case for your G2, and does voice memo or voice search still work when you encounter the issue?

A few more random things: do you have any bluetooth devices that you are paired with nearby when this may happen (headset, car, etc.)?  Do you have Voice Enhancement on or off (Phone, Settings, Voice Enhancement)?

Is your proximity sensor working, where the screen shuts off when you have the phone up to your ear?  If it's not shutting off, possibly part of your face has touched the Mute button (worth a shot)?
« Last Edit: March 24, 2014, 10:24:10 AM by Klotar »

margol1

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2014, 03:50:40 AM »
I assume that since you have a D801, that you are on T-Mo and that the G2 is T-Mo branded?  Have you upgraded to 4.4.2 Kitkat?  You mentioned that you did a factory reset, was that reset done after the Kitkat upgrade? (Of course, that answer depends on if you upgraded or not).

Not exactly. I have the so called Claro version from Puerto Rico I guess. I read in some forums that it is more similar to D803 for some reason. It runs on 4.2.2, kernel 3.4.0, software: D80110a-AMX-XXX.

Next, do you have a case on the phone?  The reason I ask is that certain variants of the G2 have a secondary "noise cancelling microphone" on the device, in addition to the main microphone, which is on the bottom left of the G2.  Some G2's have the secondary noise cancelling microphone on the top right of the phone.  Other G2's have the secondary noise cancelling microphone on the back of the phone somewhere, above the flash I think (sorry, I do not know which models have the holes for these noise cancelling mic's where). 

Some cases or covers, while they do fit the G2, do not have the holes in the right places.  In general, everyone is aware that physically, the Verizon G2 differs from all the other variants, but not as many people are aware that the other variants may have the secondary mic holes in different places.  Some cases have the hole in both places, some in only one of the two places, and other cases might not have any hole at all.  Yeah, it's a long shot, but if you do have a case, take a look and see if/where the holes are.

The other microphone is located on top right and it is not covered by the case. My case covers only the back and the sides.

Other than that, you didn't answer my earlier question (probably because we thought the issue was solved by the reboot) as to whether your voice recorder or google search using voice still works, by testing these right after you run into the issue with the other party not being able to hear you.  If they can't hear you, yet the microphone works for voice memos or voice searches, it would likely indicate that the hardware is okay and it's a software issue.

No, my voice recorder does not work as well. So the problem is with a mic (one of them). But I don't think it is a standard hardware problem. I've made a factory reset again and now it works again. People can hear me and the voice recorder works fine. What kind of hardware problem could it be, which can be settled by a factory reset ?

A few more random things: do you have any bluetooth devices that you are paired with nearby when this may happen (headset, car, etc.)?  Do you have Voice Enhancement on or off (Phone, Settings, Voice Enhancement)?

Is your proximity sensor working, where the screen shuts off when you have the phone up to your ear?  If it's not shutting off, possibly part of your face has touched the Mute button (worth a shot)?
All these are off.
Thank you so much for your detailed comments. I have contacted LG and they suggested me to send the unit to Texas. I am located oversea, so for me it is not a good solution.
If the problem will come back again, I will be using the speaker or will be looking for some external BT microphone or something.

Klotar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2014, 09:18:42 AM »
I saw that Claro had a D805 variant (touted as latin americas model) but now that you mentioned your D801 from Claro, I see that this is indeed a Puerto Rico specific model.  Confusing!

I can't think of anything more to suggest.  I did scour other forums and while this same problem isn't unheard of, it's not common (which makes it hard to find out any info on it).

I hesitated to suggest rooting and roms earlier; partly because I wasn't sure of your technical level, partly because I haven't rooted mine and didn't want to suggest something I hadn't done myself, and also partly because just in case you were going to exchange it or send it back, it'd be best not to mess with it in case there was difficulty unrooting it (especially because it wasn't a "mainstream" variant -- e.g. AT&T, Verizon, etc.).

Now from the preliminary reading/searching at XDA, there are some posters that say use D803 roms, and others that suggest D801 Wind Mobile roms.  I'm afraid I'm not knowledgeable enough to offer any advice or suggestions (you're probably more advanced than me there).

But please keep us informed as to your progress/resolution/etc. as time permits.

margol1

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2014, 01:36:23 AM »
I decided to keep it as it is. I did not find clear and reliable instructions for rooting and flashing my specific model. In addition, there is absolutely no guarantee that it will solve my specific problem. And, above all, I like to change phones at least once a year, so I have to "suffer" just a few months more. By the way, besides the very unpleasant feeling that the problem will come back in the most unsuitable moment, I enjoy my LG G2 very very much. Much more than all my previous Galaxies.

jay

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2014, 08:13:40 AM »
I have the same problem in LG-LS 980 Sprint model.  It's an unlocked phone.  It's the exact same problem as mentioned above.  At times, people can't hear me.  They can only make out that someone is talking but in a very very faint sound.  After about a minute or so, they are able to hear the normal voice.  This keeps happening several times during a call.  Has anyone found any solution to this problem?  Please help

Ceefax

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2014, 06:33:29 AM »
I think I've found the reason this has been happening to me and it made me want to slap myself in the forehead.

Hold your phone to your ear the way you do when you make a call.  Now look at the phone in your hand.  The two 'speakers' on the bottom of the phone aren't actually both speakers, although they look the same.  The one on the right is a speaker, the one on the left is the mic.  Is your little finger covering it?  I keep my little finger under the phone when holding it so it doesn't slip out of my hand, and I think I've been covering the mic when trying to speak to people.