popularity: 1
blackwell387
popularity: 0
dropshotennis
G2Fan G2Fan

* G Forum Polls

• What new rumored feature would you MOST like to see in the LG G5?
  • Dot Accessory slot for added accessories/functions
  • 0 (0%)
  • Dot larger battery
  • 0 (0%)
  • Dot 4k display
  • 0 (0%)
  • Dot improved camera (dual cameras?)
  • 0 (0%)
  • Dot moving of buttons to side from back
  • 0 (0%)
  • Dot Aluminum/metal body
  • 0 (0%)
  • Dot other
  • 0 (0%)
  • Total Members Voted: 0
  • View Topic

Author Topic: printing from my g2  (Read 14085 times)

mafiaprincess

• popularity: 0
    • View Profile
printing from my g2
« on: January 22, 2014, 09:30:02 AM »
I've had my g2 about 6 weeks now & i LOVE it. A lot more than my s3. It's got some very cool features.  I'd like to be able to print but I have no idea where to start. I don't even have a printer. Have no idea what to get. I'm not gonna be printing any huge files or anything. Just a web page or picture here & there. Maybe an email. DEFINITELY info on phone. At least til somebody comes out with real physical guide like I found for my s3. I don't have wi-fi. Will I have to get it in order to print? Could use some guidance. So i don't waste a lot of my money. And time. Mine and somebody else's

Klotar

• Global Moderator
  • popularity: 7
    • View Profile
Re: printing from my g2
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2014, 10:25:23 AM »
Hello,

If you tell us what model G2 you have (or your carrier), I can PM you the manual in PDF format.  You can check your G2 model by going to Settings, About Phone (way at the bottom), and Hardware Information.  If it's a D-803 (Canada), D-800 (ATT), D-801 (T-Mo), D-802 (International), LS-980 (Sprint) or VS-980 (Verizon), I have the manual.

As for printing, I have to admit I haven't had the need to print yet from my G2.  If email or web page, I usually forward the link to my PC and print from there.  However, there are ways:

Basically, you install a printer driver/app such as Google Cloud Print.  Next, you connect your computer (ahead of time) that has the printer attached, to an extension in the Google Chrome browser.  You don't have to USE Chrome as your daily default browser (you can still use IE or FF) but Chrome has to be installed and Google Cloud Print extension enabled.  Then, from your email or web page on your G2, you click the Share icon but there will be a new option there to share with Google Cloud Print.  Select that, and your document will print, even if you are out of town, it will print on your home printer.  Cool eh?

Here is an article with an overview and setup walk-through (where to get the app, etc.).

http://www.howtogeek.com/165778/everything-you-need-to-know-about-printing-from-your-android-phone-or-tablet/

You mentioned that you don't have a printer yet.  It doesn't have to be a wireless printer, it CAN be be wireless but doesn't have to be, it just has to be connected to your computer and the computer has to be on (I leave mine on 24/7) but the print job will queue up if it's not on.  Your computer has to be connected to the internet but doesn't have to be on a network.

Basically, the G2 connects to Google Cloud Print (via the app), print job from G2 goes to Google.  Google then sends the print job to your computer (via the internet, to the Chrome browser extension), which in turn sends it to your printer.  As mentioned above, if the computer is off, Google will queue up the print job until the next time your computer is on.  If the computer is on but the printer is off, your computer will queue up the job until the next time the printer is on.  That's it!

The article is a bit more complex than it might be for the scenario I described above because it goes into detail about printing to PDF and printing using wireless printers and printing on the network.  You should be able to disregard those parts and just install the app to your phone (search for Cloud Print in the play store, choose the one by Google Inc., not any other ones), installing Chrome on your computer (click the link within the article which will show you how) and activate the Cloud Print extension (same article will show you how), and then finally, installing your printer when you get one (consult the manual that comes with it).

Good Luck!  (PS - I think Tony likes me now)
Klotar -- Supervising Manager,
The Department of Redundancy Department
iPhone 7 | iOS 10.1.0 | Rogers Wireless

mafiaprincess

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2014, 02:13:58 AM »
I'm pretty electronically challenged but sounds easy enough. Only problem. No computer. I was hoping
I didn't need one. I would probably have a different phone if i had home computer. I thought maybe all i had to do was get printer. Install app. & voila! I'm in business.

mafiaprincess

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2014, 02:18:11 AM »
BTW 

IT'S LS980

Klotar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2014, 08:16:05 AM »
Manual sent.

While there are printers that exist that do not need a computer and are wireless, internet connectivity of some sort is still required.  But, these types of printers would not be cost effective and would cost more than say, a decent laptop + printer.

Practically speaking, if you COULD have a computer/printer/router/wired internet/wi-fi/etc., you would probably have them already.  So let's assume that for one reason or another (physical space, finances, non-techie), that you can't.  If so, then short of using the public library to print, or print at a friend/relative's place -- I can't think of a practical solution for you.

While printing at work might something to consider, often work computers have an IT policy that does not allow users to install applications such as browsers, printer drivers, etc.; so that's probably out.

IDEA: I think you can do it, via BLUETOOTH.  You can get an inkjet printer with Bluetooth capability for about $70 USD.  You can then connect (pair) your G2 to your printer using Bluetooth and print that way.  You still need an app of some sort on your G2 so that the option to print when you share will be there, but that should be it.  Disclaimer: I don't have a Bluetooth printer so I don't have firsthand experience but I can't think of any reason why it would not work -- perhaps one of the other forum members can chime in?

There is a free BT app in the Play Store called "Bluetooth Smart Printing" that should do the trick on the G2 side.

mafiaprincess

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2014, 02:52:38 AM »
Thanks for all the info. Bluetooth sounds like option.   Something just occured to me. Could computer belong to somebody else & be offsite? My sister would probably let me use hers.

Klotar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2014, 06:44:29 AM »
Yes, it can be set up and done on someone else's computer. I had not mentioned that because of privacy.

Also, if you have periodic access to someone else's computer, you could also just print emails, web pages, pics, etc. right from it instead of the G2.

Sent from my LG-D803 using Tapatalk

mafiaprincess

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2014, 02:25:34 AM »
Was out with nephew yesterday. He was looking for new home phone & we started looking at printers. He knows A LOT about computers. Bought Epson XP410. Does everything but fax. THINK I'll be able to set it up. How hard can it be? If I have trouble I'll just ask you. And he can help me. Only thing is. I forgot to buy paper! Hope I have some around here somewhere.

Klotar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2014, 08:33:52 AM »
I just googled that printer, looks like a good choice!  I think you just need to install Epson iPrint from the Play Store (or whatever they recommend), and also supports the Google Cloud Print that we discussed earlier -- can't go wrong IMO (two different ways to get it to work).

mafiaprincess

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2014, 12:08:19 PM »
SUCCESS!!!! I think. I printed a page! But I also keep getting message that says
DIRECT 92A844CE is no response from internet.
Guessing that's my crappy connection from crappy Sprint. I guess I'll have to wait til 3AM when I want to print something. Not that it makes a LOT of difference. Probably still won't work.
 Will message go away? Just turn off Wi-Fi?

Klotar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2014, 01:55:14 PM »
Sounds like you are in "Wi-Fi Direct Mode", where the printer sort of acts as a router.  What app are you using on the G2?  Epson Connect?  Google Cloud Print?  Is that error message on the printer or the G2?  If it's one of the Epson apps, it should have an indicator in the G2's notification bar, you should be able to shut the app off by opening the app and exiting it until you want to print something.

mafiaprincess

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2014, 10:19:32 PM »
From what I read on the Epson site since it's just my phone & the printer Wi-Fi Direct was the way to go. And since I don't have compter I used Wi-Fi DIRECT ROUTERLESS SET-UP. Other options that came up on LCD screen on printer were
Wi-Fi Set-Up Wizard
Push Button Set-Up (WPS)
Pincode Set-Up (WPS)
Wi-Fi Auto Connect
Should I use one of the others?
I have the Epson iPrint app on my phone. The error message is on my phone. Don't remember seeing it on printer.

Klotar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2014, 08:03:04 AM »
You should be fine in direct mode.  What I was getting at is that there is probably no need to have the app running all the time except when you need to print.  I think that it's notifying you that it cannot communicate with the printer when you move out of range or leave your home (which is "duh!" and you don't really need to be told you are out of range).

Obviously, I am guessing, as I don't have the printer nor have the printer app installed.

The app might be an "always on" type of app, or it might be one that you can exit when you aren't using it, hopefully.  See if there is a way to exit the app, so that it's not running all the time.  You can always start it up when you need to print.

mafiaprincess

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2014, 05:54:10 AM »
Unbelieveable! This airhead FINALLY figured it out! Printing! Still getting message about internet.
'DIRECT 92A844CE is no response from internet'.  Don't know what it means but WHO CARES?! I can print! Now I'm probably low on ink - at least black - from all my testing. This'll come in handy when the snow gets here this afternoon.
Thanks for all your help on this. Now I'll go find something else to torment you with.

mafiaprincess

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2014, 06:04:03 AM »
Just looked at pages (4) I printed & they're BEAUTIFUL! I feel like I discovered penicillin or something!