August 16, 2017, 09:01:36 AM

collapse

* 'Like' And 'Follow' Us!

Ledger Wallet protects your bitcoins

Author Topic: Need Help with phone  (Read 3051 times)

imagesbybarbara

• popularity: 0
    • View Profile
Need Help with phone
« on: January 08, 2014, 11:56:18 AM »
Hello yesterday I finally made my first smart phone purchase and bought the LG G2, I have one question so far... I noticed when I was in a Dr. office today I could not log into the web, I had to go through their server, I have my phone through Verizon and not sure if I set something incorrectly.  I thought all you need is the Verizon towers?

Any help would be appreciated. :)

Klotar

• Global Moderator
  • popularity: 7
    • View Profile
Re: Need Help with phone
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2014, 01:05:16 PM »
Hello,

When you were at the doctor's office, were you connected to Wi-Fi?

Sometimes, you can be connected to a Wi-Fi Network but not have internet connectivity.  As unintuitive as that sounds, many open and free networks (such as at local coffee shops, malls, etc.) allow you to connect but you are not granted full internet access until you either agree to some terms and conditions, or you are asked to pay for network access.  Before we take that any further, let's confirm if you were connected to Wi-Fi.

If you were not connected to Wi-Fi, it may be that you didn't have data coverage at the doctor's office.  Depending on where the office is situated, signal may have difficulty penetrating walls, elevators, etc.  In any event, we probably need a bit more information.

May I ask also what you meant by "had to go through their server"?
Klotar -- Supervising Manager,
The Department of Redundancy Department
iPhone 7 | iOS 10.1.0 | Rogers Wireless

imagesbybarbara

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2014, 01:18:40 PM »
Yes, it is set to wifii I set it up yesterday that way.  Should it be set differently, I am ignorant when it comes to computers etc. :)

Klotar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2014, 03:20:04 PM »
Well, basically Wi-Fi is used for one of two reasons; to save/reduce the data used by using data over Wi-Fi instead of data over the wireless network.  When you have a data cap (e.g. 2 GB per month, for example), using Wi-Fi instead of wireless network (Verizon) when able can keep the monthly wireless usage down.  The second reason for using Wi-Fi is to get data access where wireless network coverage is poor, such as in a home basement or in the middle of an office building where signal is non-existent or poor.

If data usage is not an issue (unlimited data) and coverage is generally very good everywhere you go, perhaps at this time, I might suggest not using Wi-Fi and sticking with wireless all the time. 

After a couple months of using your smartphone, you will know how much data you may typically use (is it more than your monthly allowance?) and whether or not coverage is bad at work BUT you have Wi-Fi, OR if you have poor signal in your basement but you have a home wireless Wi-Fi network.  If you are using more data than your monthly allotment or have poor Verizon coverage in the basement or at work, then we might work on getting you set up for Wi-Fi at home/work and where free networks are available.  This is just a suggestion based on what's been discussed so far and I only suggest it because, for example, if using free (unsecured) Wi-Fi networks at the local coffee shop or mall; there are security issues that you should at least be aware of.

imagesbybarbara

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2014, 04:25:40 PM »
I guess my last message did not go through.  :-[  I want to thank you very much Kiotar for your knowledge on smartphones, I just automatically assumed that I was to connect it to Wi Fi and now I know all I need is to turn it off when going outside of my house and when wanting to save usage time to turn it back on, that is very good to know!  Thank you so much for your help, the salesperson I bought the phone from could not answer a lot of my questions I had.

If you don't mind one more questions about a case for the phone, I purchased yesterday the Otter Defender case but when I looked further online today I saw it had quite a few bad reviews.  Is that particular case a good one to have on the phone or are there any better out there?

Again thank you so very much.

Barbara

Klotar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2014, 09:06:41 AM »
If you primarily use Wi-Fi at home, there are apps out there that will turn off Wi-Fi automatically when you leave home and turn it back on when you return.  I use one called "Wi-Fi Matic" (free in the Play Store).

It wasn't my intent to scare you off of using free Wi-Fi Hotspots when available.  It's just that many of them have agreements to acknowledge (not an issue) or want you to pay a monthly fee; and are not that secure because they do not use passwords; meaning anyone else can also access the network and potentially your data you are sending/receiving which in itself isn't a big deal but you don't want to be doing onlne banking or buying goods online.  Okay, I probably did scare you off, didn't I?  Sorry!

imagesbybarbara

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2014, 11:15:59 AM »
No you did not scare me at all.  ;)

imagesbybarbara

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2014, 12:00:36 PM »
Now I am trying to figure out how to get music from a cd onto the phone, my stupidity drove me to return my ipod many years ago, I could never figure it out. lol  Looks like I still can't figure it out.

Klotar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2014, 09:49:45 PM »
Perhaps someone else can help with that part.  I know that iTunes allows one to rip from CD and transfer to iDevice in one step, I think but generally on all my past and present devices I just use Windows Media Player, and then copy the music files to the device.

So in my case, I hook up the G2 to my computer via USB cable.  If prompted to charge only or act as a media device, I choose media device.  The G2 should then show up in Windows explorer like a USB camera would.  I then just drag and drop my music files from the computer over to the "Music" folder.  After I disconnect the G2 from the computer, the music then shows up in the device player.

I think LG PC Suite is similar to iTunes, where you can back up, sync music/videos, etc but I have never used this application.  You can download LG PC Suite at the link below, along with instructions, FAQ's, etc.  Again, I am not sure if it directly rips from CD and transfers to devices in one step like iTunes did.

http://www.lg.com/ca_en/support/pc-suite

imagesbybarbara

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2014, 03:03:35 PM »
I finally figured it out.  Took some time but got my first CD transferred.

Andaleeb

• View Profile
Need Help with phone
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2014, 08:01:01 AM »
Check your WiFi setting i hope issue your mobile WiFi setting...