August 16, 2017, 08:57:58 AM

collapse

* 'Like' And 'Follow' Us!

Ledger Wallet protects your bitcoins

Author Topic: Black screen with landscape camera  (Read 1799 times)

SFPete

• popularity: 0
    • View Profile
Black screen with landscape camera
« on: January 08, 2014, 01:31:58 PM »
I have recently discovered an interesting phenomenon. The reason my G2 camera sometimes goes blank is my sunglasses. The glasses and the camera app are both polarized and when the polarities are right I can't see the screen. Regular phone apps don't have this problem/feature.

Can anyone supply some more information on this? Is it specific to the G2? To any LG phone?

Thanks,
Pete

Klotar

• Global Moderator
  • popularity: 7
    • View Profile
Re: Black screen with landscape camera
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2014, 03:31:09 PM »
I found the same with my previous phone (Samsung Galaxy S3), was fine in portrait but would turn black in landscape.  This is the nature of polarized glass and I think of it in this way: if your sunglasses have thin vertical lines from top to bottom, that's how it cuts the light entering into your eyes.  The vertical lines are polar (north-south), hence polar.  Your phone has polarized glass also to help with glare, and in portrait mode, these lines also run vertical (top-bottom).  But because the lines are going in the same direction (up-down, top-bottom, north-south) on both your sunglasses and your phone, all is fine.  However, if you turn the phone into landscape, the polarization of the glass is now left-right (or east-west).  Now these thin lines intersect (cross-hatch) and you can't see through both pieces of glass (sunglasses + screen) to see what's on the phone's screen.

Many car windshields are also polarized (vertically).  If you are wearing sunglasses and turn your head sideways, you may find that the windshield goes black too.  (Note: not all car windshields are polarized, not all sunglasses are polarized and not all smartphone screens are polarized, but when they are -- this blackout can happen).  You can also test this out at the local store that sells sunglasses; take two pairs and turn ones' lens sideways and try to look through them.

Okay, I got carried away with my science lesson, sorry about that.  To answer your question, it's not the apps (e.g. camera) that are polarized, it is the glass used in the touchscreen/digitizer/display.
Klotar -- Supervising Manager,
The Department of Redundancy Department
iPhone 7 | iOS 10.1.0 | Rogers Wireless