popularity: 1
blackwell387
popularity: 0
dropshotennis
G2Fan G2Fan

* G Forum Polls

• What new rumored feature would you MOST like to see in the LG G5?
  • Dot Accessory slot for added accessories/functions
  • 0 (0%)
  • Dot larger battery
  • 0 (0%)
  • Dot 4k display
  • 0 (0%)
  • Dot improved camera (dual cameras?)
  • 0 (0%)
  • Dot moving of buttons to side from back
  • 0 (0%)
  • Dot Aluminum/metal body
  • 0 (0%)
  • Dot other
  • 0 (0%)
  • Total Members Voted: 0
  • View Topic

Author Topic: charging  (Read 3570 times)

mafiaprincess

• popularity: 0
    • View Profile
charging
« on: August 29, 2014, 04:20:55 PM »
I really liked the g2 when I first got it. But think I'm gonna look for something else.
I don't get it. First of all it tastes an eternity to charge the phone. I've learned to live with that. But if I  use it while it's "charging" it doesn't just stop charging it discharges. Just doesn't make sense to me.

Klotar

• Global Moderator
  • popularity: 7
    • View Profile
Re: charging
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2014, 11:04:26 AM »
The LG G2 should charge from zero to 100% in 90 to 100 minutes (less than two hours).  It uses the Qualcomm QuickCharge 2.0 specification.

First, make sure you are using the original charger AND cable that came with the G2.  Next, plug it into a good outlet, then plug the USB cable into the G2.  Blow out the connector area on the G2 with compressed air (dustballs can impede connectivity).

The reason I mention a good outlet is that, especially in older buildings, some outlets are switched and/or are for lamps only (i.e. hit a wall switch and the light turns off).

Obviously, plugging the charger into a powerstrip that is plugged into a lamp outlet in the wall will not be charging the device with the wall switch off (I am only mentioning this as a possibility, no insult intended!).  And some outlets in older houses are not full 110/120 volt, 60Hz, and um, however many amps that is the spec in North America.

So, to test this out, take your charger and cable to work and try charging there.  If it charges up at about 1% per minute, you're golden and the G2, charger and cable are fine. 

And yes, the charger (if not the original G2 charger) can make a difference even it it's the same amperage, and so can the cable if it's not original.  USB cables look the same but they are not the same inside.  Also, if you use USB extension cables, try it without -- USB extension cables can also not be to spec, so joining a good USB cable with a non-spec USB extender will result in a non-spec connection.

Let us know how you make out.
Klotar -- Supervising Manager,
The Department of Redundancy Department
iPhone 7 | iOS 10.1.0 | Rogers Wireless

mafiaprincess

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2014, 05:48:09 AM »
90-100 minutes?! I don't think my phone's EVER charged that fast. Sometimes it doesn't even charge overnight. And whenever I plug it in I get message about slow charging. BATTERY IS CHARGING SLOWLY DUE TO LOW ELECTRIC CURRENT OF TA/USB CONNECTION. But from what I've read on here & other sites I'm not alone. Lots of other people get same message. I've learned to live with that. My question is shouldn't it keep charging if I use it while it's plugged into the charger? If I use it more than a few minutes it starts discharging.

Klotar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2014, 08:18:53 AM »
Well, if I either charge via the computer/laptop's USB port, or via wireless charger, I also get the slow charge message.  Computer USB ports are 500 mA (half of one amp), and my wireless charger coil is 650 mA (not much better than a computer USB port), and in these cases, it takes several hours or overnight to charge.

However, if I use the stock charger and stock USB cable, it will charge as fast as I say (1% per minute) and it can keep up with use during charging.  But when slow charging, it will not keep up and slowly discharge.

Please try another outlet (i.e. kitchen instead of bedroom, etc.) or at work -- just to see if the charger/cable/G2 combination is at fault somewhere.  If you do not get the slow charge message or slow charge indicator in the kitchen or at work, then you know that the hardware is good.  Again, when doing this test, you must be using the stock USB cable that came with the G2 and the charger that came with the G2.  Using any other charger or cable makes the test suspect.  Yes, you can use other chargers and cables (I do so myself) but you have to know what to buy.  Don't trust salesmen at the local phone store, they may not know the difference.  The cable has to be quickcharge 2.0 compliant (wire has to be thick enough to carry the current and don't go by the diameter of the cable necessarily) and the charger has to have high enough output (1.8A - 2.1A).

Please do the at home outlet test and let us know.  Try a few outlets, or outlet at a friend's place, etc.  When the charger, cable and phone are plugged in, you should not get a slow charge message if using genuine LG charger and cable.  Many of the people having charging problems that you read about on the net are not using the stock charger or cable or charging in the car with chargers/cables that do not meet specifications.

SFPete

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2014, 10:49:19 PM »
I have similar problems. With the issue cable and charger I get about 1600ma charging current, but elsewhere...  150ma from USB2, 300ma on USB3 and 500ma from a 2.1amp charger, all with the issue cable. Rates much the same with other cables. This 'use only our stuff' is a definite black mark for LG and the G2; any standard gear should work, that's what standards are for. 

Klotar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2014, 06:39:53 AM »
While I agree with you SFPete, it's not really LG (or Samsung or any other specific phone manufacturer), it's a Qualcomm Quick Charge 2.0 specification for their Snapdragon line of SOC's.

The spec calls for a compliant phone (G2 and almost any popular phone made in the last couple of years), compliant cable and compliant charger.  The problem is that the chargers usually don't indicate compliance on the wall unit, and neither do cables.  Cables are particularly frustrating because for the most part, they all look the same.  Any $2 dollar store USB cable will transfer data and charge up to 500 mA... but even outside cable thickness is not an indication of the gauge of the wires inside.  Add to that the "cool looking" cables out there like neon glow cables, retractable cables, etc. and it's disappointing to find that the $35 glow cable you got won't fast charge your phone, or that the 4 foot extension cable (because your charger won't reach the night table) prevents fast charge, etc.  And if you lose track of which cable came with the G2, you may be convinced you are using the correct cable but in fact are not.

Personally, I find that chargers/cables that work with the Samsung GS4/5 will work in Quick Charge mode with the G2 -- which makes sense because these also use the Qualcomm Snapdragon 600/800 family of SOC's.  I too have a drawer full of old chargers and cables that won't work with the G2.   EDIT: they work with the G2 but only in Slow Charge mode.

Those chargers and cables were "good enough" back then because the Qualcomm Quick Charge specification didn't exist when those chargers and cables were made.

Here is a link: https://www.qualcomm.com/products/snapdragon/quick-charge
« Last Edit: September 04, 2014, 06:34:08 AM by Klotar »

Klotar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2014, 06:37:29 AM »
So mafiaprincess, did you have a chance to test charging from another outlet or two?

I'd like to see this resolved for you, especially because the fast charging is one of the features of the G2 that I liked the most.  (Yes, I live with Slow Charge because I like wireless charging more than I like fast charging BUT when I need a fast charge, I can still hook up the cable).

mafiaprincess

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2014, 03:44:06 AM »
I really liked this phone at first. But I give up. From what I've read everybody with one of these phones has this problem. I have 2 other chargers that are different brand. But they fit & work on g2. Doesn't matter. I've tried tried multiple outlets. Doesn't matter. One day I turned my phone off to charge & it still took almost 5 hours! That's ridiculous! This is just a crappy phone. There's others out there with with features just as good or better. I'm getting one with a removable battery so I always have a backup. Think I'm going back to Samsung.

Klotar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2014, 05:29:03 AM »
Ah, sorry to see that it didn't get resolved.  I have been looking at other phones too but am leaning towards the G3.

Keep in mind that almost all new devices from major phone manufacturers (LG, Samsung, HTC, Motorola, etc.) all use the Qualcomm Quick Charge 2.0 specification as the SoC is a Qualcomm Snapdragon.  That is, the wall charger, cable and phone must meet the specification or it will slow charge.

mafiaprincess

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2014, 10:26:05 AM »
That's just it. I'm using the charger that came with my phone. It doesn't make any difference which charger or which outlet. It still sucks. Add to that the fact that it discharges if I use it while I'm charging and it's a pain. Hope I can find one I like that I like that has removable/replaceable battery so I'll always have one for backup.

Klotar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2014, 12:10:58 PM »
And the original, OEM LG cable also, right?  Only asking because you mention the charger and phone but not the cable.  Cables look the same but must also meet spec.  I know you mentioned several posts up that you tried several cables but I've also got a drawer full of cables but only some of them meet spec.  Sure, all the cables will transfer data and charge the phone but only Qualcomm Quick Charge 2.0 spec cables will charge fast.

As mentioned above, I'm looking at the G3, as it has removable battery, and SD storage (up to 128 GB).  However, due to it's high resolution (and QuadHD resolution is not yet popular until the Samsung Note 4 is released), some apps may not work on it that currently work on the G2.  It's a tough choice these days, I think the Note 4 would be my second choice.

Best of luck, hope you get the phone that meets all your needs (how about those new iPhones?).

mafiaprincess

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2014, 05:43:33 AM »
Using charger/cable that came with phone. MCS-Q4WR2.
Also. What about wallpapers? I was always under the impression that the more color you use the bigger the drain on the battery. My lock screen is b&w photo. Home screen is almost all blue ocean w/shark fin showing.

Klotar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2014, 06:30:12 AM »
Theoretically, you are right, the more colours used, the more pixels have to fire.  The lighter the colours, the more power is used too.  A completely black wallpaper (or no wallpaper) would be the lowest power, as all pixels would be "off".  For white, all pixels would be "on" (red + green + blue = white).  However, in the big scheme of things, I don't think it makes a big difference (the biggest difference would be all-white vs. all-black).

That said, "Live Wallpapers" are a different story.  Not only does the pixel thing above apply, but also live wallpapers use GPU power (since these wallpapers move and have animation).  But I use a live wallpaper anyway, hehe.

mafiaprincess

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2014, 09:48:19 AM »
New question. I used to let battery run down pretty low - 20% or less - before charging. Sometimes I'd let it run all the way down til it turned off. I've been plugging in to charger when battery gets to 40%-50% because it charges 3 or 4 times faster. Consequently I'm charging more often. Sometimes more than once a day. Sometimes I turn it off but it doesn't seem to make a lot of difference. I just wondered what - if anything - this is doing to my phone? Charging more often but for a shorter period?
Also - and this is probably my imagination- but it seems like phone charges faster at some times of the day than others.

Klotar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2014, 03:40:56 PM »
Wellllll... charging often (top ups) and charging only when low, etc. have a lot of opinions on the internet.  It's hard to say who is right and who isn't and there's still a lot of old untruths out there that don't apply to modern lithium batteries of this day and age.

They say that charging often will shorten battery life, and it is measureable.  HOWEVER, that is a total of 10 to 20% reduction over a three year period.  I usually replace my phone far before that.  That is an attraction for a device with a replaceable battery because if that's true, just replace the battery with a new one and carry on charging as often as you wish.

Almost all agree that letting the battery discharge until the phone shuts off is not good.  Even though many battery manufacturers say to go through 1 - 3 cycles of charge discharge; often that is for the calibration of the battery to the device's operating system (plus most modern batteries have chipsets/circuits in the batteries) but does not help the life of the battery itself by going through extreme cycles.

Doubtless, the truth lies somewhere in between.  Avoid full cycles, but don't charge too often. Some say to try to keep the phone battery charged between 25 to 80%, which is kind of hard to do while working or sleeping to yank the phone off the charger when it hit's 80%!

As I stated above, personally I charge whenever I feel like it, or if I expect to use it a lot in the evening I'll try to charge it (top it up) in the afternoon.  Otherwise, I leave it and it gets me through the day -- and it always fully charges overnight.  The G2 has the longest battery life and the fastest charge time of any smart/cell phone I have ever had... but I'd always had removable batteries before and the G2 is the first that does not.

That your phone charges 3 to 4 times faster when above 50% than below still worries me that something is wrong (building wiring?).  Most charging circuits are designed to allow faster charging at the beginning and then slow down the rate as it approaches full.  However, if the charger wall unit is not receiving full power from the outlet at all times, the results might be unpredictable.