popularity: 1
blackwell387
popularity: 0
dropshotennis
G2Fan G2Fan

* G Forum Polls

• What new rumored feature would you MOST like to see in the LG G5?
  • Dot Accessory slot for added accessories/functions
  • 0 (0%)
  • Dot larger battery
  • 0 (0%)
  • Dot 4k display
  • 0 (0%)
  • Dot improved camera (dual cameras?)
  • 0 (0%)
  • Dot moving of buttons to side from back
  • 0 (0%)
  • Dot Aluminum/metal body
  • 0 (0%)
  • Dot other
  • 0 (0%)
  • Total Members Voted: 0
  • View Topic

Author Topic: Home Screen slowness issue  (Read 2478 times)

sxm078100

• popularity: 0
    • View Profile
Home Screen slowness issue
« on: December 10, 2013, 05:28:00 PM »
Hi guys, I have noticed that when I have an app open like browser or anything, pressing "home" button
brings home screen with delay of about 1-1.5 sec. this is not an issue, but if u have new phone with fastest processor and graphics, it shouldn't be.

I compared with Friend's Galaxy S4 , ( when he had abt  6 apps open, and using more RAM than mine), and S4 was faster.

Has anyone noticed this? is this phone issue or Android issue?
 I have about 20 apps on home screen. Does this leads to slowness?

thanks for any help

sedy

Klotar

• Global Moderator
  • popularity: 7
    • View Profile
Re: Home Screen slowness issue
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2013, 08:12:02 PM »
I was about to reply that the S4 has a hardware home key, which might explain a difference but then I pressed my G2's home key (from Firefox) and it was pretty much instant.

There were 14 apps running in Task Manager (not sure if ones that show there are really running in the background, suspended or just in cache but -- I just went and counted them.  I have 70 3rd party apps installed, 553 MB free RAM.  Apps on homescreen: 14 icons (including bottom row), 6 widgets.

When was your last reboot?

When you press the Home button, are you getting a sound right away and then later the graphics follow, or both are delayed?  Is the animation of the home button (i.e. looks like it "lights up" when you click it) fast or slow?
Klotar -- Supervising Manager,
The Department of Redundancy Department
iPhone 7 | iOS 10.1.0 | Rogers Wireless

sxm078100

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2013, 07:15:44 PM »
Hi Klotar,
Thank you for elaborate reply.

I too tried using "back button" on s4,(software key) and still , it was faster. so, i too initially thought of hardware key,but rejected that.

I did reboot today but no improvement.

When I press home button, sound comes right way(no lag), then the background and finally icons. I timed it, and from moment of pressing home button, background image /wallpaper appears in 1.1 sec and icons in 1.8 sec.

I removed all the apps from home screen, and then situation improved. But, this should not happen, as purpose of home screen is to keep most used apps there.

any other ideas?

sedy

Klotar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2013, 08:31:39 PM »
I wonder if it is your wallpaper (perhaps very high res or lots of colours).  Perhaps switch temporarily to a simpler wallpaper (I have one that is completely black), so then do some testing and if it's still the same, revert back to your original wallpaper.  If it is faster with a simpler wallpaper, we may have a start point.

Are you running a lot of apps?  Is Chrome your browser or are you using something else (tackling memory next) ?

sxm078100

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2013, 11:44:23 AM »
Hi,
I changed to different wallpaper and it is same.
 I am using Opera Mini for browser.

Now, I can do following things( depending upon what u reply)
1) factory reset the phone
2) return phone back( Wld it make difference as it looks to be android issue rather than hardware?)
3) I have avast antivirus installed. Can it cause slowness?
4) I installed "lightening launcher", and using that instead of phone default , causes "home", "back" buttons to respond much faster.
     So, the widget/ app for home and back buttons could be the cause? Is it ok to keep the "lightning" launcher?

sedy

Klotar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2013, 04:32:45 PM »
Before suggesting anything, I'd like to ask if the lag has always been there or has gotten worse after you installed a few apps/widgets.  If it's always been like that from day one (well, hour one I guess, one can install a lot of apps on the first day, LOL), then I'd suggest exchanging it.

If you are beyond your exchange period (you implied that you weren't but wanted to confirm) *AND* the lag has not always been there, then I would suggest trying a factory reset.  However, first turn off the automatic restore of apps from the Play Store and also turn off the automatic backup of settings to the Google servers.  Why?  If you are going to the trouble of doing factory reset to see if it solves an issue, and the issue is in an app setting somewhere or a system setting that is backed up; when you restore your device, I think it best to eliminate that possibility.  I know it will be a pain to reinstall apps one by one and set up your wifi and preferences all over again but I hate to see anyone waste time by doing a reset that does not solve the issue (or that it did solve the issue but you are unaware because a restored setting caused the issue again).  Once you've done your restore, install just minimal and essential apps at first and play with it for hours/days to see if you get any lag.  If not, continue restoring.

I use Nova Launcher myself but have only been running it for a couple days (I ran it for a year on my S3 but wanted to give the LG UI a shot -- but I needed those Unread Counters so I succumbed yesterday.

If you only have a day left as your exchange window, then don't do a factory reset and just exchange it.  But first, on the device you are returning, turn off the auto reinstall of apps and the backup of settings to Google servers.  Let's eliminate that from the equation.

sxm078100

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2013, 05:24:12 PM »
Hi Klotar,

I did factory reset  after turning off the things u told( except saving contacts to SIM). it is pretty fast now.
  i will play with it for some time, installing things one by one like antivirus, enabling autosync etc..and i might be able to find the culprit. I think the first time,
  after autosyncing Google, facebook etc,, those contacts too got added to ATT address book, creating multiple entries etc for same names, and that might could have added to this issue,
  though not sure about it.

will monitor for a day or so, and then reply back.
    Thanks
Sedy

Klotar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2013, 06:40:35 PM »
OK, good to hear that a factory reset starts you off with a responsive desktop.

I did forget to mention that turning off the auto app updates and auto backup of settings does not affect the syncing of contacts and calendar with gmail.  You can turn both those settings back on now if you want (only apps that update after you turn it back on will do so automatically) but you may also wish to leave that off too while you do your one by one re-installs.  To clarify, turning it back on after the reset won't suddenly cause a flood of previously installed apps to install themselves again, only ones that are reinstalled already and are updated would auto update (but if we didn't turn those off before the reset, they would have all reinstalled themselves).  Just mentioning this part for others' benefit.

As for antivirus, I forgot to reply earlier.  I did have Avast! installed but switched later to Lookout Mobile.  No particular reason (not lag).

sxm078100

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2013, 06:05:11 PM »
Hi Klotar,
 Its been one day and I do not see any lag issues. infact, I have about 12 apps, 4 folders( with 4 apps each) installed
on home screen, and both "back" and "home" buttons respond very fast.

however, i have not enabled automatic backup, auto-sync of google and facebook, as i can do without it.
 i did use LG backup to save settings to memory. also, ATT address book would open up every time i opened "contacts" from "phone, as i was trying to sync "address book" over WIFI, while it needed to be done OTA using "data" connection, which i learnt now.

So, apart from these settings and antivirus, I do not know the culprit, which could be something else too. anyways, I am good now.

Thanks for taking time and replying. On a positive note, I know my phone much better now.

Sedy