popularity: 1
blackwell387
popularity: 0
dropshotennis
G2Fan G2Fan

* G Forum Polls

• What new rumored feature would you MOST like to see in the LG G5?
  • Dot Accessory slot for added accessories/functions
  • 0 (0%)
  • Dot larger battery
  • 0 (0%)
  • Dot 4k display
  • 0 (0%)
  • Dot improved camera (dual cameras?)
  • 0 (0%)
  • Dot moving of buttons to side from back
  • 0 (0%)
  • Dot Aluminum/metal body
  • 0 (0%)
  • Dot other
  • 0 (0%)
  • Total Members Voted: 0
  • View Topic

Author Topic: Auto Rotating when it shouldn't  (Read 3669 times)

monstermack

• popularity: 0
    • View Profile
Auto Rotating when it shouldn't
« on: December 11, 2013, 02:09:55 PM »
I've been having a problem that the phone will auto rotate to landscape when selecting certain apps like email or browser even if I'm holding the phone in portrait mode.
If I turn off the auto rotate it goes back to portrait, but the moment I turn it back on it goes back to auto rotating when I don't want it to.

Klotar

• Global Moderator
  • popularity: 7
    • View Profile
Re: Auto Rotating when it shouldn't
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2013, 02:43:10 PM »
Sometimes my device will switch to landscape if I inadvertently tilt a certain way but it always goes back to portrait if I tilt it back; including browser and email.

However, it does not return to portrait if you are tilting the device forward.  For example, if I am laying on my bed and reading with the phone over my head and it turns to landscape (for whatever reason), I cannot return it to portrait mode unless I also tilt the phone backwards.  Kinda hard to explain, so here's a diagram:

/              <-- will not return to portrait
L---------o

\                 <-- returns to portrait
L---------o

Certain applications run only in landscape no matter what (mostly games) but most run both (some exceptions: BBM, the LG lockscreen, Voxer -- these only run in portrait).

In my diagram above, I personally consider it to be in portrait when I am holding the phone vertically (long side up) but in order to rotate the phone from landscape to portrait, it must not only be held vertically but also tilted back far enough to be at least straight up, but tilting further back gets faster/better results.

So when you say it rotates to landscape when you don't want it to, how are you using the phone (or what are you doing at the time) that might cause it to go landscape?
Klotar -- Supervising Manager,
The Department of Redundancy Department
iPhone 7 | iOS 10.1.0 | Rogers Wireless

monstermack

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2013, 10:44:33 AM »
it doesn't matter at what viewing angle I hold the phone at. The moment I press the email icon the screen flips to landscape. No matter how I turn or flip the phone it won't go back to portrait.
Shutting down and restarting the phone seems to have fixed the problem for the moment..

In thinking about it, I've noticed this happens after I play a certain game on the phone that is a landscape game.

Klotar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2013, 01:12:23 PM »
Ah okay.  My next suggestion would have been to recalibrate the gyro / motion-sensor but sounds like you have determined a possible cause.  Possibly that game was written to not return the portrait/landscape mode/toggle to the previous state.

As you might suspect (and since I don't have that game), if it's in portrait and I start email, it will be in portrait still.  There are apps on the Play Store that will force rotate the screen that might be an option, since restarting the phone after exiting the game would be a pain (alternative is to report the bug to the game author).

This one sounds promising (set the game to landscape and see if when you exit, it returns to normal) https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.spydiko.rotationmanager&hl=en

This one looks promising, with two widgets to force orientation (after exiting the game) https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=nl.fameit.rotate&hl=en

Good luck and let us know how you made out.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2013, 01:18:18 PM by Klotar »

Klotar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2013, 04:19:41 PM »
Update: found a nice app on the Play Store, called Ultimate Rotation Control.  It was so awesome, I bought it after trying the 15-day trial version ($2.59 US).  No root required.

The G2 lock screen, a video app, Voxer, BBM (mentioned above in an earlier post) -- these all now go into landscape mode whereas they used to be "Portrait Only" apps.

While I wouldn't presume to suggest that someone else pay $2.59 US on my word, give the trial version a try (fully functional for two weeks).  I would guess that your rotation woes will be over (I am running in "Forced Rotation Mode").  Admittedly some apps and screens look wonky/squished in landscape mode BUT those already supported landscape mode before I installed this app.  Each of the apps I listed above that were portrait only look great in landscape!  As a bonus, in the car I use a phone holder in landscape mode and it admittedly irked me that the lockscreen would not rotate -- now it does!

PS - thanks for posting your question or I wouldn't have gone looking for an answer for you and stumbling onto this app.  :D

monstermack

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2013, 11:19:51 AM »
I think for the G2 I'll just stop playing that game...no big loss there.

But thanks for finding this rotation app...I can use that on my old phone that I'm using as a media player now...the phone always sits in landscape mode but didn't have the rotation option...this app fixed that.