popularity: 1
blackwell387
popularity: 0
dropshotennis
G2Fan G2Fan

* G Forum Polls

• What new rumored feature would you MOST like to see in the LG G5?
  • Dot Accessory slot for added accessories/functions
  • 0 (0%)
  • Dot larger battery
  • 0 (0%)
  • Dot 4k display
  • 0 (0%)
  • Dot improved camera (dual cameras?)
  • 0 (0%)
  • Dot moving of buttons to side from back
  • 0 (0%)
  • Dot Aluminum/metal body
  • 0 (0%)
  • Dot other
  • 0 (0%)
  • Total Members Voted: 0
  • View Topic

Author Topic: Sound won't work for notifications..........  (Read 5268 times)

mertso

• popularity: 0
    • View Profile
Sound won't work for notifications..........
« on: December 26, 2013, 12:46:27 PM »
The sound for Notifications and Touch, feedback & system doesn't work.  Ringtone and Music, video game and other media, works fine.  On the Volumes screen all sounds are set at the highest level.  I've had this phone about one week and the sound for e-mail and text alerts worked fine at first then I notice a few days ago they didn't work at all.  Anyone else have a problem with this or did I accidentally turn something off I don't know about. 

Thanks

Klotar

• Global Moderator
  • popularity: 7
    • View Profile
Re: Sound won't work for notifications..........
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2013, 08:06:45 AM »
I see that by the wording of your question/post, that you know where to look for these settings; since you described the settings' names.

Did you somehow activate "Quiet Mode" (Settings, Sounds, Quiet Mode) or set a schedule for Quiet Mode that covers a wide span of time?  Probably unlikely as you would have noticed a cyan colored moon-shaped icon in the notification area / status bar, but thought I'd ask anyways.

Are individual notification settings for each application where it is not working (i.e. E-Mail, Messages), enabled?  If so, are the notification sounds set to use internal sounds (notification tones provided with the G2) or custom ones (mp3's that you have transferred to your phone) for each individual e-mail account?  And is the checkbox for Notifications ticked?  Sometimes, external sound files get clipped (i.e. a 3 second sound file only plays for half a second or doesn't play at all, as if it doesn't get read into memory correctly).  Perhaps, for testing purposes only (you can switch it back later), change the notification sounds for each email account and for text messaging to a stock sound (like Bean or Bike or Bubble, etc.).  If your notification sounds start working, then we know it might be somehow related to the sound files.

Are you using any 3rd party utilities or apps that may handle sounds or notifications?  For example, an app that controls your sound profiles based on a time schedule (I use one called Profile Scheduler+ that changes my volume levels on specific days of the week and times).  Or do you use a 3rd party app for LED notifications?  I use Light Flow, which, in addition to controlling the LED, also controls my notification sounds.

That's all I can think of for now.  If you can check some of these settings or confirm a couple of the questions, we can proceed from there with other things to check or try.  Good luck!
Klotar -- Supervising Manager,
The Department of Redundancy Department
iPhone 7 | iOS 10.1.0 | Rogers Wireless

18_1

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2014, 11:34:01 AM »
Hello,

I found this post while searching google for a solution to this exact problem. My sound notification for emails and texts randomly stopped after a few days of purchasing a new LG G2, and I could not figure out why. I have not had time to figure it out over the past few weeks, but it has become a very large nuisance so I just today looked into it.

I have not downloaded any apps that would interfere with LED notifications or sound notifications. I have been always using a basic internal sound that came with the G2. All of the volume options were set to max, in both the sound settings and message settings. Nothing would fix this, and there are no solutions that I found by browsing google for a long time.

I still cannot figure out a solution to the email notifications, but I figured out that disabling the voice notifications for Messages has made my text notifications work again. Settings > Sound > Voice Notifications > unchecking message. This is a shame, because it worked for the first few days I owned the phone, and I loved this feature on my previous phone, but I would rather have a sound notification than none at all by having this feature "enabled". Hopefully this will work for others that are experiencing this problem.
*Please note that voice notifications are not enabled by default. If you have not specifically enabled this feature for message notifications, I don't think this will help you.

Still looking for help on the email notifications, though. Hopefully someone has an answer!

Klotar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2014, 06:43:06 AM »
Hmm... because I use Light Flow to handle my App and led notifications, I have never noticed this.

Each email account has it's own notification set (rather than one notification for all emails), have you looked at each one?  Have you tried changing the sound to something else?  I have noticed that sometimes longer sound files can become clipped.

Sent from my LG-D803 using Tapatalk

nbobys

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2014, 09:47:59 AM »
To make email notifications work if they have stopped, do what I did an you will be all set.

1.  I enabled my gmail account as the default account in the email app on the phone and made sure that notifications were turned on and the volume was all the way up.

2.  Next, I set up a separate gmail web access icon on my phone so that I could use the direct gmail program that I use on my computer, again making sure that notifications were turned on and the volume was all the way up.

3.  I waited for an email to come through and checked that it had come through on both accounts.

4.  I then changed the user name for gmail in the email app that comes with the phone so that when it tries to access gmail it fails.

5.  I made no changes to the web access account as that is the one that I want to use.

I haven't missed a notification in my gmail web access account since as the phone is perfectly happy thinking that its own internal email app is functioning fine, and thus does not interfere with my web access account that I set up and that I use.

This is really helpful now that the gmail notifier on my computer no longer functions since google disabled that app.

Klotar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2014, 10:08:29 AM »
Great tip, nbobys!

Just to throw one more suggestion out there, as it wasn't mentioned in this thread; sometimes a restart/reboot will fix mysterious issues.  Like a computer, an Android device such as the G2 may benefit from a reboot to clear cache, etc. (long press the power button until the shut down / shut down & restart / airplane mode menu comes up).