popularity: 1
blackwell387
popularity: 0
dropshotennis
G2Fan G2Fan

* G Forum Polls

• What new rumored feature would you MOST like to see in the LG G5?
  • Dot Accessory slot for added accessories/functions
  • 0 (0%)
  • Dot larger battery
  • 0 (0%)
  • Dot 4k display
  • 0 (0%)
  • Dot improved camera (dual cameras?)
  • 0 (0%)
  • Dot moving of buttons to side from back
  • 0 (0%)
  • Dot Aluminum/metal body
  • 0 (0%)
  • Dot other
  • 0 (0%)
  • Total Members Voted: 0
  • View Topic

Author Topic: New user questions (LED notifications, Add Widgets screen)  (Read 5725 times)

LGTilley

• popularity: 0
    • View Profile
New user questions (LED notifications, Add Widgets screen)
« on: January 01, 2014, 07:36:25 PM »
Hi, bought myself a G2 just before Christmas, having had a Galaxy S (1) for a couple of years.  I loved my S, but it was just getting slower and slower and more and more crashy with each software upgrade.  Quite impressed with the G2, but still getting used to it.  Annoyances are mostly things being in different places now, but I expect this new devil will soon become an "old devil you know."

Here's a couple.  I'll figure out where the correct section to post these to is if they're not easy to answer here:

1) The LED notification illumination light is interesting.  I have figured out how to kill it, and prob may do when I get tired of it suddenly lighting up my bedroom like a disco in the middle of the night.  But before I do:  What is the significance of the different colours?  I'm guessing it's one for an SMS, and something else for a Facebook message or something, but where is the key?

2) Sometimes when I wake the phone - it seems to be at critical fumbling moments like when I am in the garden in the pitch black trying to activate the phone to use my Flashlight app - instead of getting the swipe screen or the home screen, I get a really annoying screen with a large + sign and the invitation "Swipe to add widgets".  (I'm usually one handed at this point struggling not to drop my house keys in the mud.)  I only get out of this screen by random fiddling or switching off and on again.  How am I getting to this screen by accident?  How do I get out of it?  Can I disable it?

Thanks in anticipation.

Klotar

• Global Moderator
  • popularity: 7
    • View Profile
Re: New user questions (LED notifications, Add Widgets screen)
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2014, 08:29:26 AM »
Hello LGTilley, and welcome to the board!

LED: The LG G2 out of the box supports LED notification for only "native applications" (that come with the phone), being E-mail, GMail, Messaging (Text Messaging), Alarm Clock, Incoming Calls, Missed Calls, Calendar Appointments, Battery Charging / Battery Charged, and so on.  Unfortunately, you are stuck with the LED colors that LG has assigned to each application, there isn't a way to change these.  You can toggle the LED notification for each type individually or globally (i.e. all off or all on) by going to Settings, Display, Notification LED: here you can toggle it off/on globally, or touch to Notification LED line to go to the individual settings.

Now, as for non-native (3rd party) applications: there are mixed reports whether or not the LED notifications work for third party applications such as WhatsApp, Facebook, BBM, etc.  The reason I don't know first-hand is that I installed Light Flow (more on this below).  Each 3rd party app should have settings within that app that determine if the LED should blink; there may be limited color choices that can be made, along with selectable notification tones, etc.  There are also reports/posts from users saying that although the native apps' LED's work, none of the 3rd party apps' LED's work (this sounds like your situation).  Please check each app's Settings to see if this is something that can be turned on (e.g. in Facebook), and see if it starts working.

There are various 3rd party applications out there also that control your LED; Light Manager, Light Flow are two examples (I use Light Flow).  Basically, I disable all of the native LED settings on the G2 and then use Light Flow to control each type (native and non-native applications).  The advantage is that I can fully control the color of each application (e.g. E-Mail = Yellow, SMS = Purple, BBM = Blue, Charging = Orange, Charged = Green, etc) so that I can tell at a glance what it is when the screen is off).  Many new users are understandably reluctant to install 3rd party utility applications such as this; however, depending on how important the LED is to the user will usually determine whether to try it or not.  There is a free version of Light Flow in addition to a fuller featured pay version.

Light Flow also has (not sure about Light Manager or other apps) settings where you can designate a time block where you don't want to hear notification sounds or see the LED blinking.  For example, I have mine set to not blink between midnight and 6:00 AM.

I'll reply on the lockscreen part shortly if someone else hadn't yet.

Klotar -- Supervising Manager,
The Department of Redundancy Department
iPhone 7 | iOS 10.1.0 | Rogers Wireless

Klotar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2014, 08:54:23 AM »
Lockscreen.  It is a 'feature' of Android 4.2.2+ that you can have multiple lockscreens.

Most users, myself included, only use one lockscreen.  Normally, when you unlock your device from the lockscreen, you swipe an empty section of the lockscreen, this takes you to your main desktop (or where you last left it).

However, if you swipe on the clock area up top or swipe that area slowly, you get the option to set a second lockscreen (and add widgets).  You can swipe back to your original lockscreen by sliding the opposite way that you did to get to the one with the + Tap to Add Widgets; however, you may be stuck in a state where you can't unlock from there any more.  You can either press the little gear icon on the original lockscreen and then press the Escape/Back key, or re-lock it with the hardware key and unlock it again.

Basically, if you avoid swiping the clock area and instead swipe an empty area, you shouldn't get that + Tap to Add Widgets screen.  This may not be the easiest while one-handing it during gardening but at least you now know what causes it.

Let us know if any questions.  You can also get apps that replace your lockscreen and give more customisability (I used one called Widget Locker in the past but this time have stuck with the native G2 unlock screen, this may change if I get bored later).

LGTilley

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2014, 06:24:15 PM »
Thanks both.  I'll have to experiment to see what incoming stuff makes which colour then.  That extra lock screen thing is HORRIBLE.  But at least I know what it is now.

At the moment incoming Facebook messages seem to make a blue notification flash... but only sometimes.   ::)

mafiaprincess

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2014, 02:43:11 AM »
I know how you feel. I get that screen a lot too. I've been TRYING to get in the habit of swiping up instead of across. BUT then you have to avoid app shortcuts at bottom. Trade-off?

Klotar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2014, 09:05:47 AM »
As handy as the app shortcuts on the lockscreen are, I recently removed all mine.  I only had Camera, Browser and Phone on there.

If found that if I wanted to use any of those apps, I had already swiped and unlocked the screen before I even realized it, due to habit; and I have those apps in my "dock area" at the bottom of my home pages anyway.  So I removed them from the lockscreen and the upside is that I never hit those icons accidentally now when unlocking.  The second lockscreen is another story however...

mafiaprincess

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2014, 01:42:42 AM »
I had 5 shortcuts on my lockscreen & never thought about removing any of them til I read your post. What a good idea! I took 2 off & it makes a world of difference. Might go back & remove others. I'll have to experiment. Just now decided to remove phone. That'll leave me with 2. Thanks for suggestion.

mafiaprincess

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2014, 04:13:10 AM »
Now that I'm down to only 2 shortcuts on my lockscreen I have a question. Can they be moved/re-arranged? Right now they're in the second & fourth position(from the left). It'd be great if I could put them both on the left side(first & second) but I couldn't figure out how to do it. In Settings it looks like they're on the left but when I go to screen they're not.

Klotar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2014, 06:30:23 AM »
You can't move them per se, but you can remove them from where you don't want the shortcut, and then add it back where you do want it with the little + sign.  Or at least, that's how I did it when I wanted three in positions 1, 3 and 5.  :)

LGTilley

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2014, 07:40:25 AM »
Interesting.  I wonder if I could remove the icons from the lock screen and put the flashlight app there...  Now have something to fiddle about with when I'm in the dentist's waiting room this afternoon.  Ah the arcane mysteries of the G2!  :o

Klotar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2014, 08:42:47 AM »
I can't see why not, and that's a pretty good idea, might do that myself! ;)

mafiaprincess

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2014, 04:03:43 AM »
I get that ADD WIDGETS lockscreen sometimes. Not sure why. Mine has an arrow at the bottom also. I just swipe up instead of sideways. WIDGET screen goes away & I'm back to regular lockscreen where I can start over.