popularity: 1
blackwell387
popularity: 0
dropshotennis
G2Fan G2Fan

* G Forum Polls

• What new rumored feature would you MOST like to see in the LG G5?
  • Dot Accessory slot for added accessories/functions
  • 0 (0%)
  • Dot larger battery
  • 0 (0%)
  • Dot 4k display
  • 0 (0%)
  • Dot improved camera (dual cameras?)
  • 0 (0%)
  • Dot moving of buttons to side from back
  • 0 (0%)
  • Dot Aluminum/metal body
  • 0 (0%)
  • Dot other
  • 0 (0%)
  • Total Members Voted: 0
  • View Topic

Author Topic: Swype Keyboard Issues  (Read 5128 times)

Skyphyre

• popularity: 0
    • View Profile
Swype Keyboard Issues
« on: January 13, 2014, 11:26:14 AM »
I have noticed that seemingly randomly the Swype keyboard will stop responding.
I have tried closing the messaging app and switching keyboards to the LG keyboard.
Neither seems to have any effect on the Swype keyboard responsiveness.
Also, when this happens, after I close the messaging app and re-open it and tap in the message area to bring up the keyboard, nothing happens. I then have to use the pull down menu to change input keyboard type.

Has anyone else experienced this?
Any thoughts on a resolution?

:-X  >:(

Klotar

• Global Moderator
  • popularity: 7
    • View Profile
Re: Swype Keyboard Issues
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2014, 12:40:27 PM »
Hmmm... I am using Swiftkey and am also trying out another, called Smart Keyboard.  Admittedly I have not tried Swype, nor tried Swiftkey in "Swype Mode".

You've described the problem well.  If you were to use the LG Keyboard [only], does the problem arise where the input becomes non-responsive also?  Just asking to determine if it's a keyboard issue specific to Swype, or keyboard issue in general, or an Android issue.  I know you mentioned that once Swype becomes non-responsive, that you try to switch to the LG keyboard, but wondering if the problem comes up at all if not using Swype.

Possibly if you like that Swype style of input, you might try one of the other keyboards that feature Swype mode.  I'd imagine you've already paid for Swype so trying out or buying other keyboards isn't on the top of your list but many do have a trial mode and may help isolate the problem.
Klotar -- Supervising Manager,
The Department of Redundancy Department
iPhone 7 | iOS 10.1.0 | Rogers Wireless

Skyphyre

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2014, 11:57:54 PM »
I haven't noticed any response issues with the lg keyboard, it seems to just be swype.
I'm using the Swype that came stock on the phone..
Do you have any suggestions on keyboard modes/styles that have the Swype feature?

Thanks for the quick response :)

Klotar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2014, 08:00:14 AM »
Here is a link to the original Swype keyboard in the Play Store:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.nuance.swype.trial&hl=en

Here is Swiftkey, which has a Swype mode (they call it Flow):

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.touchtype.swiftkey.phone.trial&hl=en

I have linked the trial versions, both have a paid version with more features, etc.

Tigers Mom

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2014, 08:59:12 PM »
Thanks for asking this question...i have been searching for the answer. Yes the issue is with Swype. When I changed the keyboard from swype the keyboard reappeared. Normally I have to just wait it out. Thanks a bunch for your response.....

Klotar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2014, 09:37:16 AM »
While not related to the Swype issue posted here, I thought this might be of interest:

There is a free, resource-tiny app that I use called "Keyboard Switcher" that... you guessed it, switches the keyboard.  Currently if you want to switch keyboards, you have to go to Settings, Language & Input, select your default keyboard that you want to use, then press escape a few times to get back to the main desktop, then you have to go into the app you were in and then continue typing.

Keyboard Switcher is unobtrusive (does not show in the notification area) when you are not actively using the keyboard.  However, if you are in any app where the keyboard is up, a small notification icon is in the notification area (it automatically disappears when you are no longer using the keyboard).  Anyways, say right in the middle of a text message you are replying to, you decide you want to change keyboards!  Well, all you do is swipe down the notification shade and select "Choose Input Method", and a popup window with all the keyboards you have enabled will pop up.  Just tap on the keyboard you want to switch to and it will immediately return you to your text message screen.

There are no settings to configure.  You don't even "run" the app, you just install it from the Play Store and that's it!  It changes your default keyboard without having to go through menus and without needing to interrupt/finish/abandon what you are doing.

In my case, it's a must have.  Certain applications, fortunately not many of them, do not like 3rd party keyboards, PERIOD.  Co-Pilot GPS is one of them.  It used to be a pain to remember to switch to a stock keyboard before using the GPS app, but now it's no biggie, I can just switch from within the app and hardly skip a beat, instead of exiting the GPS app, going to Settings... yadda yadda.

Here is a link to the application in the Play Store:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.jaredshack.keyboardswitcher