popularity: 1
blackwell387
popularity: 0
dropshotennis
G2Fan G2Fan

* G Forum Polls

• What new rumored feature would you MOST like to see in the LG G5?
  • Dot Accessory slot for added accessories/functions
  • 0 (0%)
  • Dot larger battery
  • 0 (0%)
  • Dot 4k display
  • 0 (0%)
  • Dot improved camera (dual cameras?)
  • 0 (0%)
  • Dot moving of buttons to side from back
  • 0 (0%)
  • Dot Aluminum/metal body
  • 0 (0%)
  • Dot other
  • 0 (0%)
  • Total Members Voted: 0
  • View Topic

Author Topic: New comer to the forum with a problem  (Read 774 times)

Ice

• popularity: 0
    • View Profile
New comer to the forum with a problem
« on: January 13, 2014, 04:07:19 PM »
Hello to all. I hope Iím able to find out some information on a disappointing problem that has come up on my new LG G2. I have recently switched over from BB and choose the LG G2 for the amazing Specs and after trying the demo in the Store.

Iíve been using my new phone for about 3 weeks now and in the last week the Knock on feature has started to act up, ever since I have started using a protective cover for the phone. Itís no the Smart cover from LG but a regular phone case, that I bought in the Phone Store.

I have rebooted the phone various times and even did a factory reset but the problem still exist.  The problem is that after a reboot the Knock on feature works fine for awhile but after the phone sits idle for a while it doesnít respond to the double tap.

I have tried different combination of configuration in case the blocked screen influence in the reaction to the tapping. Iíve tried all the tricks I have seen on other android forums ectÖ But the Problem persists.

Is there a Solution or do I have to send my phone on for repair?

Klotar

• Global Moderator
  • popularity: 7
    • View Profile
Re: New comer to the forum with a problem
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2014, 06:53:16 PM »
Hello Ice, welcome to these forums.

Depending on what you mean by protective cover (phone skin or screen protector, or both?), you may inadvertently be blocking the proximity sensor.

On the  top of your G2, to the left of the earpiece grille, are the front camera, proximity and light sensor and the LED indicator.  Some screen protectors cover the proximity and light sensor; other screen protectors have cutouts over this area so that the main screen is covered except for the camera/sensor/LED.  The screen protector that came with my G2 (D-803) has cutouts so that this area isn't covered.

Knock On and Knock Off have an issue if the proximity/light sensors are covered with a screen protector and/or with phone covers that have a large overlap/edge that may come close to these sensors.  In addition, knocking with your hand close to this sensor can also prevent knock on/off from working properly.  This is actually a feature, to prevent the phone from turning on in your pocket, backpack, case, etc.  You can easily test this by deliberately covering the proximity/light sensor with your thumb and trying to knock on the phone.  It will not turn on.

While I wouldn't want to suggest to you to peel off your screen protector (either to test or to make cut outs but will let you decide), I just want to pass on to you what the proximity/light sensor does, and trying to Knock On your device with your hand too close to that sensor.  Or if you have a case with a lot of 'overhang', you can temporarily remove the case to see if the situation improves.

I find it best to knock either in the middle of the screen or near the bottom quarter.  And to tap at just the right cadence.  I realize that it worked fine for you for weeks but another suggestion I have read is to knock 3 times to increase the success rate, just in case the first tap is missed while the device is in a deeper sleep mode after a longer period of inactivity.
Klotar -- Supervising Manager,
The Department of Redundancy Department
iPhone 7 | iOS 10.1.0 | Rogers Wireless

mafiaprincess

• popularity: 0
    • View Profile
Re: New comer to the forum with a problem
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2014, 02:41:14 AM »
The knockon feature on my phone doesn't work as good as it did when I bought phone a few weeks ago. Knockoff works just fine. I just turned mine off. Small price for all the other great features on G2. Besides. I love the buttons being on the back so I just use them.