popularity: 1
blackwell387
popularity: 0
dropshotennis
G2Fan G2Fan

* G Forum Polls

• What new rumored feature would you MOST like to see in the LG G5?
  • Dot Accessory slot for added accessories/functions
  • 0 (0%)
  • Dot larger battery
  • 0 (0%)
  • Dot 4k display
  • 0 (0%)
  • Dot improved camera (dual cameras?)
  • 0 (0%)
  • Dot moving of buttons to side from back
  • 0 (0%)
  • Dot Aluminum/metal body
  • 0 (0%)
  • Dot other
  • 0 (0%)
  • Total Members Voted: 0
  • View Topic

Author Topic: charging phone  (Read 9882 times)

mafiaprincess

• popularity: 0
    • View Profile
charging phone
« on: February 10, 2014, 06:20:01 AM »
My battery was almost drained so I plugged it in to charge as usual. A minute or two later I noticed a new icon on notification bar. When I opened notifications there was message.
BATTERY IS CHARGING SLOWLY DUE TO LOW ELECTRIC CURRENT OF TA/USB CONNECTION.
Never seen this before. Using same cable & outlet I've always used. Also I have my cable plugged into
extension cord since orig is sooo short. Always had it like that if it matters.
Also cleared notifications. Just checked & it didn't come back.
?????

Klotar

• Global Moderator
  • popularity: 7
    • View Profile
Re: charging phone
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2014, 07:58:19 AM »
While I can't explain your notification not coming back after clearing it, except that it's a clearable notification; a bit of info in general regarding the G2 and the battery/charging:

The heart of the G2 is the Qualcomm Snapdragon 800 processor/chipset.  Technical details of this chipset aside, one of the features of the Snapdragon 800 is that it supports "Quick Charge 2.0".  This is a specification that allows the battery to be charged "75%" faster than normal.  While it may be questionable how that 75% is calculated, it's definitely faster than normal charging of devices without this specification.  In actual use, it charges almost 1% per minute, which is pretty darned fast; meaning it can charge from 10% to full in about 90 minutes to an hour.  On many other phones, charging from 10% to full would be an overnight job.

There are three components to the Quick Charge spec.  First, the phone must be compliant and have a Snapdragon 800 chipset (currently the only one that supports the spec but will support more chipsets in the future).  Second, the charger must be compliant and of sufficient current; the G2 charger is 1.8A (or 1,800 mA).  If a charger used does not have sufficient current, a "Slow Charging" notification will appear.  What exactly that threshold is, varies by carrier -- for example, Verizon's spec is being changed or has been changed recently to not give that slow notification as early as it used to.  Connecting the phone to the USB port of your computer generally will only charge at 500 mA (.5A), so charging that way is very slow and will give that notification.

Thirdly, the cable must be compliant or meet certain specifications and capable of carrying the current from the charger to the device.  Not all cables are the same even though they look the same and can carry data.  The wire has to be of sufficient "thickness" to carry the current and short enough to not lose current (the longer a cable is, the more electrical loss can occur).  If you extend your G2 cable, you are making the cable artificially longer which MAY have a detrimental effect on the charging rate, especially if the extender is of poorer quality (e.g. good cable + not so good cable = not so good longer cable).

I have greatly simplified the explanation and will probably make the technical people cringe; however, in a nutshell -- all 3 components (charger, phone and cable) need to meet certain specifications.  Substituting a different charger or cable MIGHT still work, but it might as easily not support the Quick Charge spec.  Extending the cable, as explained above, might work or it might not.

To find out if there is a problem with the charger, cable or G2, always try it stock (original charger + original cable + G2).  If it works without the Slow Charging message, you can then try a different charger or different cable or extend your cable and see what happens.  If you extend your cable and you get the Slow Charge message, you know that it's the extender.
Klotar -- Supervising Manager,
The Department of Redundancy Department
iPhone 7 | iOS 10.1.0 | Rogers Wireless

mafiaprincess

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2014, 10:43:11 AM »
While I'm about as technical as this chair I'm sitting in this makes complete sense. Guess it's got something to do with extension cord. Funny it just happened today after all this time but...
I just need to plug directly into outlet. And just let phone charge. And quit using it while it's charging.
After reading this think I need to replace ext cord anyway. Sometimes phone charges in 2-3 hours. Sometimes it takes all day.

Klotar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2014, 11:02:31 AM »
Okay, one more thing then, perhaps: while the outlet and/or electrical extension cord shouldn't affect the charging speed (perhaps I mistook your extension to mean power extension and not usb charging cable extension).

A couple of gotchas worth mentioning maybe -- there has been more than one user who has used a switched outlet.  That is, the outlet is connected to a wall switch -- don't laugh!  Another thing, harder to spot, is that the usb port on the G2 might have gathered some dustballs and so the connection between the cable and the socket isn't so good as it could be.  Blow out the port with compressed air if you can.  Also, some cases don't allow the plug to be inserted all the way in any more like it can without the case on.  This means that the connector may be making intermittent contact -- enough to charge but not charge at full speed.  I have one cable where the connector 'head' is thick; and while it does go into the socket, it's sort of loose... yet it still charges.  But if I knock the table, it sometimes stops charging or charges slower.

I also have a wireless charging 'kit', where I bought a coil that goes inside my case/cover and a couple of wireless charging pads.  One of my chargers didn't seem to be charging as well as the rest (btw, all wireless chargers will charge slower than using a cable), and after watching it for a few minutes, found out that this one charger would start out charging but stop after a few minutes.  Turned out that it wasn't plugged in all the way (the charging plug into the pad itself).  If that was so, why did it charge at all in the first place?!  No idea but it actually would charge for a few minutes (albiet slow charge) but then stop after a few minutes; but once I figured out what the problem is, it now charges consistently.  While this post isn't about wireless charging, thought I'd mention it because a loose connection might be the cause.  If the cord and socket aren't making solid contact, it might still be charging but not at full speed because of the poor conductivity of dustballs.  Possibly also, when you see the Slow Charge message, try disconnecting and reconnecting and holding the plug in firmly and see if the slow charge message persists.

I have read elsewhere, on other forums, that the first few seconds of connectivity determine how fast it will charge (physical connection issues aside).  If, after the first few seconds, the G2 decides that you do not have a full speed charging connection, it may "step down" into slow charging mode even though you have a good connection.  I do not know if there is any truth behind that, but something to keep in mind.  Try to disconnect and reconnect.  And check for dustballs/lint.  :)

mafiaprincess

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2014, 06:23:25 AM »
Actually phone IS on SWITCHED OUTLET. But it's on. Made that mistake once or twice in the past. Also tried on different outlet. Same results. Would new/different charger make a difference? There's a couple places near me where I could get one.

Klotar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2014, 08:54:14 AM »
Well, if you are using the stock charger that came with the phone, with the stock cable that came with the phone, you should not be getting the Slow Charging message; if you are using no power extension cords (or power strips) and no usb extension cables.  If all is fine with the stock equipment, we can troubleshoot from there (i.e. effect of extension cables, power strips, switched outlets, usb extenders, etc.).

If you are getting Slow Charge message under the stock circumstances, then something may be wrong.  BTW, it's easy to mix up the cables with others around the house from older devices, etc. -- trust me.  :)

mafiaprincess

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2014, 03:55:16 AM »
Using stock charger. Took it out of box. Put together. Used ever since. Don't think I ever even took apart again. Something I noticed yesterday & I know I should probably know this. But like I've said before I'm REAL technically challenged. The conection on the phone looks like it's got a protective cover. Thin plastic around it. Started to remove but...Think I'll just go up to Walgreen's & get new/different charger. Maybe one that's all one piece? Instead of one that has to be 'assembled'.
Another weird thing - but I think it just has to do with network - this morning I'm getting lightning responses. First time in? Weeks? Months? Pretty sure it's temporary.

Klotar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2014, 07:47:13 AM »
I hear you in that you'd like to try a new charger or have a spare, etc.  I'd like to caution you a bit though because to me, nothing is worse than going out to buy a new charger and/or cable because of the slow charging message, only to find when you get home that it also has the slow charging message.

I posted a reply in the G2 Accessories forum to someone else, but it might be worth a read:

http://lgg2forum.com/g2-accessories/lost-datausb-cable/msg476/#msg476

Note however, for anyone that might be reading this, that Slow Charging is NOT the end of the world.  As a non-Verizon G2 owner, I do not have native wireless charging.  So I went out and got a charging coil and a charging pad and made mine into a DIY wireless charging G2.  Wireless charging, as it stands currently, will ALWAYS slow charge -- that is the nature of the beast.  I charge my phone overnight and even when it goes down to 10% - 15% during the day, it will always be at 100% by morning, even with slow charge.  However, if you absolutely must have, need, gotta charge fast (10% to 100% in 90 to 100 minutes), then you need Quick Charge (e.g. if you are a businessperson constantly on the go, for example), and you may be disappointed if you don't have a Quick Charge compliant setup.

In a nutshell, get a charger that is 1.8A or better -- but that is no guarantee that you will get Quick Charge, as it needs all 3 pieces (charger, cable, phone) to meet specs.

mafiaprincess

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2014, 10:27:55 AM »
You're right. As usual. There's no guarantee new charger would change anything. Think I'll forget that. I think it might be a network problem anyway. Crappy Sprint. I'm not getting message constantly like I was. Makes me think it's Sprint. I've thought of switching but probably wouldn't matter. Now if I could figure out Chrome. I used it for a while but decided I like stock better. Now i'm trying to get bookmarks out & over to IE. Now that I can print I have instructions but...What's BOOKMARK ORGANIZER? When I go to Chrome I get bookmark page. Who knows how I did that? I can't find anything about organizing.
Think I'll just go to Speedway & get some stuff before it starts snowing.

mafiaprincess

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2014, 05:09:03 AM »
Think I might have my problem figured out. It's the charger. Never noticed before. Probably because I didn't have light on. Just now I plugged in my phone to charge & plug end of cable seemed too heavy for outlet. Like it wasn't going all the way in & making full contact. If I had an outlet that I could plug into vertically instead of horizontally problem might go away. Apts I live in are pretty old(25+ ?). Older outlets not made for newer equipment?

Klotar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2014, 08:28:39 AM »
In this case, I might suggest a power strip; plug the power strip into your outlet and then your charger into the power strip.  However, there is no guarantee that your power strip plug will fit any better into the outlet than your charger currently does ("currently", get it?  Haha!) now.

If you have any other power strips in your apt, possibly you can test the outlet in question with that power strip, and then get another power strip to replace the original (no need for a fancy one, probably a $5 will do).

mafiaprincess

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2014, 02:43:57 AM »
Haven't seen message since Sun. Had charger from another phone that fit & was a little smaller & lighter. I could tell the difference as soon as I plugged it in. But still got message. First time. Since then no message. Guess it was charger. I also wouldn't be surprised if it was network. If message comes back I'll be convinced it's network.
Something that just occured to me. I use my phone a lot while it's charging. Also I don't always unplug when battery hits 100%. I don't think this has anything to do with message but is it bad for phone or charger?

Klotar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2014, 06:51:23 AM »
Smartphone batteries these days are smart batteries, in that they have chips in them that along with the phone, prevent overcharging.  When the G2 is fully charged, it stops charging for a while, and then later after the battery goes down a bit, starts charging again... sort of like a trickle charger for a car.

In short, there should be no worries of overcharging nor should there be any concerns using the phone while plugged in.

Sent from my LG-D803 using Tapatalk

mafiaprincess

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2014, 03:04:48 PM »
Thanks for all the info on this. Now I'll go look for my next issue.