popularity: 1
blackwell387
popularity: 0
dropshotennis
G2Fan G2Fan

* G Forum Polls

• What new rumored feature would you MOST like to see in the LG G5?
  • Dot Accessory slot for added accessories/functions
  • 0 (0%)
  • Dot larger battery
  • 0 (0%)
  • Dot 4k display
  • 0 (0%)
  • Dot improved camera (dual cameras?)
  • 0 (0%)
  • Dot moving of buttons to side from back
  • 0 (0%)
  • Dot Aluminum/metal body
  • 0 (0%)
  • Dot other
  • 0 (0%)
  • Total Members Voted: 0
  • View Topic

Author Topic: I Need help understanding signal strength  (Read 1231 times)

kcerica

• popularity: 0
    • View Profile
I Need help understanding signal strength
« on: February 14, 2014, 11:58:36 AM »
I'm afraid this sounds like a dumb question but I'm wondering if the signal bars are for data or just talk?
When looking at the signal info on the notification bar, I always assumed if it shows 3G (or lte, etc,) that the signal bars next to it shows you how good the 3G data signal is, but I'm starting to wonder if my assumption was wrong and the signal bars is only for talk and not data. I might have 4 bars but I often different no connection errors and terrible speeds even though the signal looks like it should pretty good.
Before I got this phone the phone's internet & talk performance always matched the signal bars.

Klotar

• Global Moderator
  • popularity: 7
    • View Profile
Re: I Need help understanding signal strength
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2014, 02:27:09 PM »
Good question.  It is my understanding that, on current generation smartphones, that the signal bars represent signal strength for voice only.

Generally, the signal strength / bars MAY give an indication of the relative strength for the data connection, but the bars themselves reflect the signal strength for voice calls.

Data and voice are handled by separate radios in smartphones.  To measure data signal strength, you pretty much need a 3rd party app or widget.

Complicating matters is that some "G" technologies do both voice and data (GSM, UTMS, HSPA) and others are data only (EDGE and LTE). 

What the bars represent MAY vary by carrier and manufacturer, but for LG devices, the signal bars represent voice signal strength.
Klotar -- Supervising Manager,
The Department of Redundancy Department
iPhone 7 | iOS 10.1.0 | Rogers Wireless

mafiaprincess

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2014, 02:00:03 AM »
Pretty sure I'll never learn about everything G2 has to offer in my lifetime but seems like in all my searches for different info I saw something in settings that measures data signal strength. Couldn't tell you where. Since I don't know much I'm probably imagining it. Or I saw something & THOUGHT that's what it was.

kcerica

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2014, 03:10:32 PM »
Ok thanks guys. The signal bars being for voice makes sense. I downloaded open signal from the app store and it shows separate signal indicators for voice and data. Another app I ended up downloading is signal check. It looks like I'll have to do more homework to figure everything that's in this one though. It looks like it gives a lot of info and it shows the ehrpd speeds (whatever that is) on my notification bar. It also has a help section that looks like it'll be helpful.

Sent from Sprint LG G2

Klotar

• Global Moderator
  • popularity: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2014, 07:49:15 AM »
Good choices, I use both Signal Check and OpenSignal.  Another nice one is Network Signal Info by KAIBITS Software.

Signal Check is nice as it allows you to reset your connection.  OpenSignal and Network Signal Info are both nice and I like their widgets.
Klotar -- Supervising Manager,
The Department of Redundancy Department
iPhone 7 | iOS 10.1.0 | Rogers Wireless