popularity: 1
blackwell387
popularity: 0
dropshotennis
G2Fan G2Fan

* G Forum Polls

• What new rumored feature would you MOST like to see in the LG G5?
  • Dot Accessory slot for added accessories/functions
  • 0 (0%)
  • Dot larger battery
  • 0 (0%)
  • Dot 4k display
  • 0 (0%)
  • Dot improved camera (dual cameras?)
  • 0 (0%)
  • Dot moving of buttons to side from back
  • 0 (0%)
  • Dot Aluminum/metal body
  • 0 (0%)
  • Dot other
  • 0 (0%)
  • Total Members Voted: 0
  • View Topic

Author Topic: chrome  (Read 1820 times)

mafiaprincess

• popularity: 0
    • View Profile
chrome
« on: February 16, 2014, 04:49:24 AM »
When i go to IE my homepage, which i just changed to CNN, comes up. If i go to settings➡general i have several options for changing/setting my homepage. Can i do that in chrome? All i get is my bookmarks when i go to chrome. Don't know how i got to this point. Since i decided i like IE better & use that i pretty much forgot about chrome. I might try chrome again later but right now I really just want to export bookmarks from chrome. I have instructions but I can't find anything that says BOOKMARK MANAGER or ORGANIZE. Nothing in SETTINGS. Just updated chrome a few minutes ago. After update finished opened app. Signed in. Since i just updated app took tour but wasn't that interested since I'm going back to IE. There might not be a lot i want to export but i still want to know how.

Klotar

• Global Moderator
  • popularity: 7
    • View Profile
Re: chrome
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2014, 08:18:18 AM »
The Android version of Chrome currently does not allow you to set the homepage like you can with the other browsers.  However, I do set a bookmark for my homepage (in my case, I use www.google.ca).  At the bottom of the Chrome browser, left to right - there is the Chrome logo, an icon that looks like six squares, a star icon [bookmarks] and a folder icon with arrows [sync with desktop Chrome].

If, when you open up Chrome, you press the "six squares" icon, I am taken, in my case, to google.ca. I usually periodically keep that clean by long-pressing the pages and deleting them.

Conversely, I just save my desired homepage in my mobile bookmarks and click that when I want to go there.

All that said, I have found myself using the Google Search bar widget more often lately.  If no one is around, I use the voice search but if I am unable, I use the search bar and type in my text.

For reading the news (e.g. CNN), I use a news reader app so I hadn't considered setting my home page (well, if I could) to anything other than google.

Klotar -- Supervising Manager,
The Department of Redundancy Department
iPhone 7 | iOS 10.1.0 | Rogers Wireless

mafiaprincess

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2014, 02:06:51 AM »
I'm sorry. I'm totally clueless. (Imagine that) I'm trying to use/like chrome but I guess I just don't get it. When I go to APPS & click Chrome all I get is my bookmarks. No menus.  No wrenches. Zip. I can get new tab but it's same as one I'm looking at. I can get options menu - HISTORY, SHARE, SETTINGS...   Is this because I'm not signed in? How do I sign in? I've seen demos of Chrome w/pics of menu after menu. Where are they?

Klotar

• Global Moderator
  • popularity: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2014, 09:59:32 AM »
Hi mafiaprincess,

I guess I have to ask what you typically want to use Chrome (or any other browser) for.  For example, for myself, typically when I open Chrome, I just want to go to Google so I can search for something -- admittedly I don't use it for much else.

In my case, I click on the Chrome icon and it goes to Mobile bookmarks.  From there I either press the icon for Google (which I have bookmarked) OR click the "six squares" icon at the bottom and most times* it will open to where I was last.  If it seems to hang there (which, it can sometimes), you can long-press and select Open in a New Tab, then the bookmarked location will open (in my case, Google).  So, if you have CNN bookmarked in your mobile bookmarks, then when starting Chrome, you can long press on the CNN bookmark, select Open in a New Tab and it should go right to CNN.  Is this not happening for you?

I do not use Chrome on my desktop, so signing in (to sync to my desktop bookmarks) doesn't do anything for me.  But if you want to sign in, you can -- by clicking the Menu button and selecting Settings.  At the bottom is a grey bar that says "Sign in to Chrome".  A popup should appear and your gmail account should default there.  Click the OK button and your gmail account should show under BASICS on the Settings screen.

If at any point (e.g. when you first start Chrome), Chrome seems to "hang" (not do anything), just click the Refresh icon in the url window (looks like a semi-circle with an arrow), and then click your mobile bookmark.  Also, if you are not concerned with data usage, you can speed things up a bit by turning off Reduce Data Usage under Bandwidth Management in Settings.

You mention that all you get is your bookmarks when you launch Chrome.  May I ask what you expect to see when you start Chrome?

You might also consider adding Chrome to your dock shortcuts (at the bottom along with your Dialer, Contacts, etc.) so that you don't have to click the Apps button and have to go hunting for Chrome.  Or add a shortcut to one of your desktops.  Let us know if you don't know how to do either of those but are interested.
Klotar -- Supervising Manager,
The Department of Redundancy Department
iPhone 7 | iOS 10.1.0 | Rogers Wireless

nash211

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2014, 05:58:38 PM »
  I just use the browser work very well