popularity: 1
blackwell387
popularity: 0
dropshotennis
G2Fan G2Fan

* G Forum Polls

• What new rumored feature would you MOST like to see in the LG G5?
  • Dot Accessory slot for added accessories/functions
  • 0 (0%)
  • Dot larger battery
  • 0 (0%)
  • Dot 4k display
  • 0 (0%)
  • Dot improved camera (dual cameras?)
  • 0 (0%)
  • Dot moving of buttons to side from back
  • 0 (0%)
  • Dot Aluminum/metal body
  • 0 (0%)
  • Dot other
  • 0 (0%)
  • Total Members Voted: 0
  • View Topic

Author Topic: Sync laptop email with G2 email  (Read 847 times)

PGreenlie

• popularity: 0
    • View Profile
Sync laptop email with G2 email
« on: February 22, 2014, 07:19:23 PM »
I would like to sync my email - using Mozilla Thunderbird on a Win7 laptop.  I have Verizon email and Verizon is my wireless carrier.  Is there an email app that will allow this?  Seems ridiculous that I have a Verizon phone and Verizon email and I cannot sync my email with the phone.

Thanks

Klotar

• Global Moderator
  • popularity: 7
    • View Profile
Re: Sync laptop email with G2 email
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2014, 11:30:11 AM »
I see that no one has replied yet.  I am not familiar with Thunderbird's email client, nor am I familiar with Verizon email, so let's see if I understand correctly.

Is your Thunderbird email client set to download (and delete) emails from your Verizon email server?  Is Verizon email a POP3 account?

Keeping in mind that I don't use Thunderbird client nor have Verizon email service, a couple things:

On typical POP3 email accounts, the email settings on the client side can be set to EITHER keep mail on the server, or delete email after it's been downloaded.  If the client is set to delete email after it's been retrieved (i.e. by your Thunderbird client, or Outlook/OutlookExpress), then your email cannot be sync'd properly with your smartphone.  If the Verizon email is set up within Thunderbird to keep email messages on the server regardless if it's been downloaded or not, then sync is possible with the G2.

Let's start there.  One way to tell is if you have "webmail access" to your Verizon email account.  After you have retrieved your email using Thunderbird, try to check email using a web browser, log into your Verizon email account and see if there is any email there.  If there is no email or only new email since the time you checked using Thunderbird, then it is likely that email is being deleted from the server after it's been downloaded.  If this is the case, there is nothing
to sync with your G2.  If you happen to sync with the G2 before the email has been checked with Thunderbird, you might get some email on your phone, but later if you check using Thunderbird (which may download and delete the emails) and later on sync with your G2, then the emails will also be deleted from your device (it is syncing with the server and there is nothing on the server, so after the sync there would be nothing on your phone either.

Anyway, as mentioned, let's start here.  There are settings on the G2 to delete or not delete emails from the server also (but the default is to never delete) but we should check your Thunderbird settings first to see if it's set to delete emails or not.  Here is an article on how to check and set these settings:

http://www.gn.apc.org/support/how-setup-thunderbird-leave-messages-server

Good luck and let us know if it's worked out.
Klotar -- Supervising Manager,
The Department of Redundancy Department
iPhone 7 | iOS 10.1.0 | Rogers Wireless