popularity: 1
blackwell387
popularity: 0
dropshotennis
G2Fan G2Fan

* G Forum Polls

• What new rumored feature would you MOST like to see in the LG G5?
  • Dot Accessory slot for added accessories/functions
  • 0 (0%)
  • Dot larger battery
  • 0 (0%)
  • Dot 4k display
  • 0 (0%)
  • Dot improved camera (dual cameras?)
  • 0 (0%)
  • Dot moving of buttons to side from back
  • 0 (0%)
  • Dot Aluminum/metal body
  • 0 (0%)
  • Dot other
  • 0 (0%)
  • Total Members Voted: 0
  • View Topic

Author Topic: Question about LG G2 Durability and Does a protective case make a difference?  (Read 2473 times)

PhonesOfAllKind

• popularity: 0
    • View Profile
Hi. I'm new here. I currently have an iPhone 3GS that I may be upgrading soon. I'm very interested in an LG G2, and I see that they seem to get great reviews. However, they also get some negative reviews for being flimsy and not very durable. One reviewer mentioned how an LG G2 got broken just by putting it in his pocket! 

Based on this I'm not so sure about an LG G2 after all. However, I'd really like to hear from all of you LG G2 owners out there about their durability/flimsiness.

I'd also really like to know whether or not a protective case makes a difference and if so how much.  So, my questions are:

1.  How durable/flimsy is the LG G2?

2.  Does a protective case make a difference, and if so, how much?

Any and all help and input would be greatly appreciated.

Klotar

• Global Moderator
  • popularity: 7
    • View Profile
I haven't noticed any flimsyness, however, that's subjective.  As for breaking/cracking in the pocket, well -- putting a phone in one's pocket is (in my opinion) asking for it.  Physics says that putting a larger object in one's pocket is more likely to break than a smaller object (e.g. sitting on a 6 inch rectangle of glass versus a 4 inch rectangle of glass).  Edge to edge glass (thin bezels) will also mean an edge impact that will crack/break the glass is more likely than with a phone with larger bezels.  As phone screens get larger and bezels get smaller, we have to accept this to some extent.  A case of course, will always help but bulk and protection are the tradeoffs for slim looks.

There will always be stories of phones that break without even touching it, and conversely phones that are unscathed after a 4 foot drop onto concrete.

In my personal opinion, I don't feel the G2 is flimsy.  The back does not come off, so it adds to the feel of sturdiness.  All smartphones are fragile to some extent and luck can play a part depending on how a dropped phone lands.  Cases and screen protectors can help absorb shock.  Some are better than others, of course.

These days people do carry phones in their pocket (I'm a holdback and still use holsters for that borderline nerd look).  How tight one wears their jeans will make a difference on how much pressure is put on a phone when sitting or bending over, etc., and as I mentioned above, larger phones by nature are more susceptible just because, well -- they have a larger glass surface area.  An alloy back like on the HTC One may give it a sturdy look but if it's put in a back pocket glass side in, there will still be "bum pressure" on the screen.
Klotar -- Supervising Manager,
The Department of Redundancy Department
iPhone 7 | iOS 10.1.0 | Rogers Wireless

PhonesOfAllKind

• View Profile
Klotar,

Thanks for taking the time to respond--much appreciated.  How much of a difference would a case make?  D most LG G2 users get a case?  I've currently got an iPhone 3GS with an otterbox that ive had for 3.5 years, and it has taken multiple falls with no damage so that is kind of my reference point.

Klotar

• Global Moderator
  • popularity: 7
    • View Profile
A case makes a difference, but it's a matter of protection vs. slimness; as mentioned above.  At it's most basic, a phone with any protection at all is better than no case at all, all other things being equal.  Although there are exceptions, usually a thicker case provides more protection.  Some cases are dual layer, with shock absorbing foam/neoprene inside and a hard plastic/tpu shell outside.  These would provide more protection than say, just the hard shell or rubber case.

Otterbox Defenders and Commuters have been available for the G2, almost within a month or two of G2's release.  I had a Defender for a couple of my BlackBerry's in the past, but have only been using lighter duty cases for my Android devices.  I am a holster user, so my devices do not go in my pockets.

How much protection you need will depend on your usage.  Do you typically drop your phones?  Put them in your pocket/purse/backpack?  Do you let the phone rattle around in the cupholder in your car?  Do you work in a dusty environment?  Do you care about the looks of your phone?
Klotar -- Supervising Manager,
The Department of Redundancy Department
iPhone 7 | iOS 10.1.0 | Rogers Wireless

jaseman

• View Profile
I have the Verizon LG G2 and the Otterbox Defender = more $$$$ - is the only one available for the Verizon version. If your G2 is from another carrier you can get the cheaper Commuter case. I have the Defender and it works great. I hate it though because it adds so much bulk!  :-[

I have always gone without a case on all my Android phones in the past and I was using an Incipio Feather case on the G2 but to no avail. I dropped the phone while pulling it out of my pocket onto hard dirt...on the corner...and it cracked the glass.  :(  Glad I have insurance!!  ;)

So I got the Defender. I would not say the phone is any more fragile than any other phone but if you want, or need to keep it looking like new then an Otterbox cannot be beat.

One thing I have found is that with the case on the phone it is a little more difficult to pull it out of my pocket which causes me to grip it even harder which stops me from dropping it! So the case is helping in more ways than one.  :o
« Last Edit: March 15, 2014, 02:08:20 PM by jaseman »

superjoseph1982

• View Profile
It is a durable phone by today's standards. That being said,I use an Otter box defender case.(modified, I removed the screen protector and replaced with my own). Screens and digitizers are replaceable but a hassle.

IslandMoose

• View Profile
I have the Defender with holster for mine. I work in a building with wall-to-wall tile and drops happen whether in pocket or holster and the case has done its job!! I've seen phones dropped a foot or so onto dirt roads, bumped into while in someones pocket...little things, and shatter!! I love this phone so, no matter the bulk of the case - it stays in its Otter. Plus, living in Florida we have lots of rain and with the Otter I feel very comfortable knowing my phone is protected pretty much