popularity: 1
blackwell387
popularity: 0
dropshotennis
G2Fan G2Fan

* G Forum Polls

• What new rumored feature would you MOST like to see in the LG G5?
  • Dot Accessory slot for added accessories/functions
  • 0 (0%)
  • Dot larger battery
  • 0 (0%)
  • Dot 4k display
  • 0 (0%)
  • Dot improved camera (dual cameras?)
  • 0 (0%)
  • Dot moving of buttons to side from back
  • 0 (0%)
  • Dot Aluminum/metal body
  • 0 (0%)
  • Dot other
  • 0 (0%)
  • Total Members Voted: 0
  • View Topic

Author Topic: smart screen?  (Read 2781 times)

mafiaprincess

• popularity: 0
    • View Profile
smart screen?
« on: March 04, 2014, 05:07:10 AM »
Sometimes I see icon in upper left of screen that has eyeball inside box. Assume it has to do with SMART SCREEN but I can't figure out purpose of SMART SCREEN or how it works. I have it turned on but my screen still times out while I'm using it.  I have screen timeout set for 2 min - need to change that - and it goes off after 2 min with SMART SCREEN turned on. After it shows eyeball icon. The only thing the online guide does is tell how to turn it on & off.

Klotar

• Global Moderator
  • popularity: 7
    • View Profile
Re: smart screen?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2014, 08:09:57 AM »
As far as I know, there are two smart-somethings:

- Smart Screen -- keeps the screen on when the front camera checks to see if your face is in view; and

- Smart Video -- pauses the screen during videos if the front camera does not see your face.

I haven't used these features on my G2 but on my GS3, I found that Smart Screen (I think Samsung called it Smart Stay) would check just before screen timeout (e.g. if screen timeout is set to 30 seconds, Smart Stay would check every 30 seconds).  If, right at the moment it checks, your face is not in front of the device, the screen will time out.  Smart Video is supposed to work similarly, except instead of the screen timing out, it will pause the video.  Videos, when playing, normally do not time out when using the stock video player (wouldn't that be annoying, eh?).

Now, for face detection to actually work, your face has to be more or less facing the G2.  Not exactly facing it or anything but generally in front of the device.  You can check the arc by playing around with the front facing camera in the Camera app to get an idea, or another way to estimate is to see if you can see your reflection on the screen (while the phone is off). 

So if the G2 is sitting on your desk pointing up, yes -- you can still read email or watch videos at that angle but the Smart stuff won't work that well.
Klotar -- Supervising Manager,
The Department of Redundancy Department
iPhone 7 | iOS 10.1.0 | Rogers Wireless

mafiaprincess

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2014, 11:33:57 PM »
Just now i checked Settings. Smart Screen is checked on. So i changed screen timeout to 30 seconds & screen went off while i was looking straight at phone.
Reading what i just wrote before i posted it.
I'll just change timeout back to 2 minutes. I usually turn it off manually anyway. It's just annoying. But i guess i can live with it.

Klotar

• Global Moderator
  • popularity: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2014, 06:33:43 AM »
To be honest, I haven't found much use for either one.  I mean, yes -- the both sound kinda neat and all but I am either watching videos or ... well, I'm not. 

And most times if I am looking at the screen, I am not staring at it for 30 seconds without at least scrolling.  That said, yes -- there are some  times that the screen turning off is annoying (e.g. when using my password keeper app to look up a password so I can type it into my laptop and then when I look back, the screen has timed out.  Soooo, I have to unlock the phone, typing in the password for the password keeper and then see what my password was).  Other than that, I'm fine.  Really.  Maybe I will increase my timeout too...
Klotar -- Supervising Manager,
The Department of Redundancy Department
iPhone 7 | iOS 10.1.0 | Rogers Wireless

jT

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2014, 09:07:48 AM »
Smart Screen is handy when I'm playing 'Words' and get stumped tring to come up with a word. I read that it does not work well when the camera cannot see your face clearly, i.e, when you're backlit, in shadows, etc.

Cheers!

John

robshr

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2014, 07:20:52 PM »
I have smart screen and smart video both turned on and they work great except when I put on my reading glasses I don't know if you wear glasses but if you do that's probably the reason why it's not working also like stayed above in certain lighting situations that it won't recognize your face to well also depending on how close the phone is to your face and the angle of the phone are all variables that will make it detect or not

mafiaprincess

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2014, 07:38:18 AM »
Yeah. I do wear glasses most of the time.  Never even occurred to me wearing them would affect this but I'm sure you're right. I'll have to try to keep track & see if that's it. Something else I just thought of.  I use my phone in landscape a lot. Maybe I'm blocking camera.