popularity: 1
blackwell387
popularity: 0
dropshotennis
G2Fan G2Fan

* G Forum Polls

• What new rumored feature would you MOST like to see in the LG G5?
  • Dot Accessory slot for added accessories/functions
  • 0 (0%)
  • Dot larger battery
  • 0 (0%)
  • Dot 4k display
  • 0 (0%)
  • Dot improved camera (dual cameras?)
  • 0 (0%)
  • Dot moving of buttons to side from back
  • 0 (0%)
  • Dot Aluminum/metal body
  • 0 (0%)
  • Dot other
  • 0 (0%)
  • Total Members Voted: 0
  • View Topic

Author Topic: Klotar's Korner -- Profile Scheduler+  (Read 1314 times)

Klotar

• Global Moderator
  • popularity: 7
    • View Profile
Klotar's Korner -- Profile Scheduler+
« on: March 05, 2014, 09:38:39 AM »
Klotar's Korner -- Profile Scheduler+

Profile Scheduler+ is what it sounds like, an app that schedules profile changes on your device.

On most Android phones, there are 3 profile states:

Normal - normal notification/ringer/alarm/media/voice volumes, each one is configurable.  Vibration is configurable also.

Vibrate -- sounds are silenced, so notifications will vibrate the phone.

Silent -- sounds are silenced but phone does not vibrate.

The basic premise of a profile scheduler is that the application will switch profiles according to a schedule that you set, so that for example, you can turn off notification sounds at night while you sleep, and turn them back on automatically in the morning.  There are a number of apps in the Google Play Store that can do this.  To some extent, the LG G2 has this function built-in, it's called Quiet Mode; however, while it is useful to silence sounds at night, it's not very configurable other than the single schedule that you set for it.

Profile Scheduler+, by Wetpalm (link below) was the app I chose mainly because not only is it very configurable/customizable in it's scheduling abilities but also allows you to create "custom" profiles other than the usual Normal/Vibrate/Silent.  For example, I created a custom profile called "Quiet".  This new Quiet profile differs from Vibrate or Silent in that it still makes notification and ringer sounds like Normal does, except just not as loud (and it vibrates too).  Basically, Quiet has the notification sounds at about half the volume of Normal's notification sounds and about three-quarter the volume of Normal's ringer sound.  I also made a custom "Night" profile which is very similar to the stock Silent mode.  And then I made a Default (a custom Normal Mode) mode.  The reason I made a custom Normal mode instead of just using the stock Normal mode is that, if one day I am at a busy/noisy place and I have to turn the ringer and notification sounds up to max, then the next day (or whenever Normal might kick in), it's not going to still be at that MAX'd out volume -- instead it will be at the pre-configured volume levels that I set my custom Normal to be at.

So basically I now have three custom profiles: Default (custom Normal), Quiet (still makes sounds but not as loud as Normal), and Night (sort of a custom Silent mode).  Now, my typical schedule on weekdays is that I get up at 6:00 AM, am at work by 7:00 AM, work until 5:00 PM and then go to sleep by 12:00 AM.  But on weekdays, I don't work.  So to go along with those three custom Profiles, I set a schedule like this:

"Daily Nighttime" -- invokes my Night Profile (no sound or vibrate EXCEPT ringer, from 12:00 AM to 6:00 AM, every day (MTWTFSS).

"Weekday Daytime" -- invokes my Quiet Profile (lower sound levels plus vibrate), from 7:00 AM to 5:00 PM, weekdays only (MTWTF--).

"Default" -- invokes my custom Normal Profile (normal sound levels plus vibrate), all other times OTHER THAN when Night or Quiet is on.

This means that when I wake up in the morning, my profile switches from Night to Normal, by the time I get to work, it switches from Normal to Quiet, when I go home in the afternoon, it switches from Quiet to Normal, and then when I go to sleep, it switches from Normal to Night.  On weekends, when I wake up it's on Normal and stays that way until I go to sleep at night.

At any time, I can manually override these settings, either by changing profiles within the app or using the supplied widget, or override it with the stock Android Vibrate/Silent modes (e.g. if I go to the movies in the evening when normally the profile is set to Normal).

In addition to just changing the profile on schedule as I described above, Profile Scheduler+ can also control some functions on your device, such as turning on Wi-Fi,launch apps, turn off mobile data, turn on Bluetooth, change wallpaper, change brightness, etc.  So, for example, if you only use Wi-Fi at home (and not at work), you could have the app turn on Wi-Fi as part of your Normal profile and turn it off as part of the Quiet profile.  You could also create a custom profile that has nothing to do with the sounds or notifications that only control when to turn on and off your Wi-Fi.  Personally, I use a different app to turn my Wi-Fi on and off based on my location (perhaps I will cover this in another post in the future), so I don't use Profile Scheduler+ for Wi-Fi toggling, but it can do it.  And of course, you can override these settings at any time, as all this app does is turn Wi-Fi on when you specify in your schedule -- and if it's on already, then no change (but you can also set it to do so based on location).  So if you go to the local coffee shop on a weekday afternoon (when Wi-Fi is normally off), you can just toggle Wi-Fi on.  Tomorrow when the Weekday Daytime schedule kicks in and turns the profile to Quiet, Wi-Fi will be off as you specified in the schedule.

I'm going to stop at this point, otherwise it may become confusing.  At it's most basic, Profile Scheduler+ will change sound profiles for you based on schedules you create.  But it can do much more than that if you want it to do so.

Profile Scheduler (without the "+") is free at the Play Store.  The only MAIN limitation of the free version is that you are limited to three (3) custom profiles, which is all I use myself anyways.  However, I bought the full version, which was $3.49 CAD (~$3.15 USD or so).

Free version: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.wetpalm.ProfileScheduler

Paid version: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.wetpalm.ProfileSchedulerPlus

You can backup and restore schedules and profiles.  I bought this on my S3 and use it now on my G2.  I haven't touched the schedules or profiles in over a year -- this is truly one of those "Set 'n Forget" apps for me.  If you have any questions, feel free to post and I will try to answer if able.

Edit/Add: a post in the G2 Help forum reminded me to check if Calendar Appointments (Meetings) are supported.  I didn't mention it as I really didn't use this function but I have now tested it out and it works -- with a caveat. 

First, I decided to set up a new Profile (I copied my Night profile and named it Meetings).  Next, I set a new Rule for meetings.  Unlike my previous rules, which were all TIME-based, this rule was triggered by Calendar notifications.  You can include and exclude calendars if you have multiple calendars (e.g. the Holiday Calendar or Birthday Calendar).  I set up a test appointment to see if it worked... and it didn't!  But upon examining my new meeting rule, I found that the calendar based rules need a KEYWORD (or trigger word).  This is both good and bad: Bad -- because I have to remember to set a consistent keyword (e.g. MTG or Appt), and Good - because I may not want to silence EVERY meeting that I have... I may just want to silence certain ones.

S, the test: I modified my Rule to look for keyword "MTG" and made a test meeting called "MTG: Test" for 5 minutes away, and sure enough, when the time came, my phone switched to the Meeting profile (mostly silent but not completely silent) and after the test meeting was over, it reverted to the profile that was active previously (in my case, Daytime Weekly).  So the changing of profiles based on the Calendar seems to work well.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2014, 12:06:26 PM by Klotar »

Klotar -- Supervising Manager,
The Department of Redundancy Department
iPhone 7 | iOS 10.1.0 | Rogers Wireless

Klotar

• Global Moderator
  • popularity: 7
    • View Profile
Re: Klotar's Korner -- Profile Scheduler+
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2014, 11:33:18 AM »
Update/Ammendum:

Apparently introduced by Google/Android in ICS (Android 4.0), the ringer sounds and notification sounds are linked (however, some carriers have modified their versions of the OS to unlink them).  Most profile changer apps do not compensate for the linked sounds.

To clarify, if the sliders for a given profile are all set to silent except the ringtone, we would expect all sounds except the ringtone to be silent.  Under ICS/JB, this apparently is not true; an email notification may still make a notification sound when intuitively it should not if the notification sound slider is set to zero.  This should be kept in mind when evaluating Profile Scheduler+ or any other profile application.
Klotar -- Supervising Manager,
The Department of Redundancy Department
iPhone 7 | iOS 10.1.0 | Rogers Wireless