popularity: 1
blackwell387
popularity: 0
dropshotennis
G2Fan G2Fan

* G Forum Polls

• What new rumored feature would you MOST like to see in the LG G5?
  • Dot Accessory slot for added accessories/functions
  • 0 (0%)
  • Dot larger battery
  • 0 (0%)
  • Dot 4k display
  • 0 (0%)
  • Dot improved camera (dual cameras?)
  • 0 (0%)
  • Dot moving of buttons to side from back
  • 0 (0%)
  • Dot Aluminum/metal body
  • 0 (0%)
  • Dot other
  • 0 (0%)
  • Total Members Voted: 0
  • View Topic

Author Topic: Sound Profile Settings  (Read 4364 times)

Andybb

• popularity: 0
    • View Profile
Sound Profile Settings
« on: March 07, 2014, 09:33:01 AM »
Hi All
I'm trying to set some sort of sound profile up on the G2 but I just can't get it to work so was wondering if anyone can help.

I have tried different apps and they all look good in what they do, none of them seem to change the settings in the phone.

Couple of profiles I want is

A Normal/Work setting were all is set to Full but Notifications are low.

A Bedtime setting were all sound and vibrate is off EXCEPT the ring is low.

A meeting one would be good too.

Any ideas or can't it be done.

Thanks
Andy

Klotar

• Global Moderator
  • popularity: 7
    • View Profile
Re: Sound Profile Settings
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2014, 11:32:38 AM »
Wow, what timing!  I just posted about a profile scheduler app yesterday:

http://lgg2forum.com/g2-apps/klotar%27s-korner-profile-scheduler/

It does have calendar trigger capabilities (which I did not mention in the review, as I haven't tried it but am trying it out now for completeness) for meetings.

Have a look and if there are any questions, post here or in that thread.

Update: Meeting mode works but needs a keyword to trigger.  More details in the review post.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2014, 11:46:31 AM by Klotar »
Klotar -- Supervising Manager,
The Department of Redundancy Department
iPhone 7 | iOS 10.1.0 | Rogers Wireless

Andybb

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2014, 01:16:11 PM »
Thanks Klotar

I had already seen your post and downloaded the app to try it, but it did not work correctly.

I changed and saved the settings in the app but it didn't do what it said it should do. This was just the same as all the other apps I had tried and deleted.

Klotar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2014, 01:33:52 PM »
Oh.  Well, if you are willing to describe your settings (Profiles/Schedules), we can try to get ONE working and take it from there?

e.g. Create a profile called Test Silent, and have all the sounds turned down, then set one schedule for sometime in the future where you call up that Test Silent profile.  Assign Test Silent a unique icon.  Then at the scheduled time, see if the icon changes in the Notification Bar.  If it does change, then the app is working, it's then just a matter of adjusting the settings.

Andybb

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2014, 03:19:32 PM »
Ive not done the timed part of the app, I'm manually switching the profiles and it is saying that it is changing.

I have just added Bedtime setting, turned All audio OFF and as I touch the screen I hear nothing, I have then just put the ringtone up 1 notch and all the sounds come back as they were.

Klotar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2014, 03:47:52 PM »
Okay, to clarify.  To change profiles, you are now opening up the Profile Scheduler app, and selecting Bedtime (there is a radio button next to it), correct?

You no longer change profiles by using the "Sound" shortcut on the G2.  Well, you can use the sound shortcut but that would act as an "over ride".  This isn't as cumbersome as it sounds, once you get it working, you would use the widget shortcut instead to change profiles.

Basically, to get this working, and to test it out, you have to have two profiles (I know I said one earlier but I didn't know how you were going to test it until you told me).

One new profile called Bedtime (set your sliders low).

One new profile called Quiet (set your sliders where you want, perhaps up one notch from the lowest).

You should now have two profiles visible when you exit the Profile Scheduler app and go back in.  One of them should have a radio button next to it to indicate which one is active (or not, and if that's the case, select Bedtime).  If all is working okay (no notification sounds), then go back in to Profile Scheduler and select Quiet.  Test that, and you should hear just quiet sounds.  If both of those work (one with no sound and one with very low volume sounds), then it works.

Don't use the "Sounds" icon in the pulldown to change profiles any more.  If you do, what you are doing is "over riding" both the Bedtime profile and the Quiet profile.  It is quite all right to use the Sounds icon to over ride your Bedtime and Normal profiles, as long as you realize that this is what you are doing.

To get around this, set up a "Normal" profile with the sliders up high.  Then you will have a silent one (Bedtime), a quiet one (Quiet) and a Normal one (one that you use when it's not night time and while not at work, for example.  Switch between those three using the Profile Scheduler application.  Tweek the volumes for each profile as you deem necessary (sometimes the quiet sounds are too quiet, for example).

Once you are happy with that, then you can tackle timed Schedules and Meetings.

Klotar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2014, 03:54:31 PM »
When you say that you put the ringtone up one notch, where exactly are you doing that?  In the Sounds settings, or in Profile Scheduler, long-press on Bedtime, selecting the "pencil icon", clicking Volume, and then moving the slider for ringtone up one notch, and then clicking OK?  This is the way to put the ringtone up one notch.  If you had instead being using the Sounds icon, that is disregarding all the settings in the Bedtime profile.

Maybe the best way would be a walkthrough from scratch.  I don't mind deleting all my profiles (I just backed them up) and going step by step through it if you wish -- just give the word.

Andybb

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2014, 09:13:15 AM »
Hi
I'm doing it in the right place withing the app.

Things have changed a bit now, the ringtone level now seems to be working correctly, I removed all the profiles and started again.

But I still have the problem if an email or text comes in on the bedtime setting I still hear the sound at low level, also when I tap on the screen I hear that sound too but this is high.

All I have on is Ringtone set to 1 all the other are on 0, If a text or email comes in it sounds very quiet. I have turned up just ringtone to 5 and the text/email volume also goes up.

It's like the ringtone seems to be controlling it all.

Klotar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2014, 03:57:24 PM »
Sorry for the delayed reply, I took a break from board reading this weekend.  ;)

Okay, so your Bedtime profiles' Sound / Volume section looks something like: Ringtone=5, Notification=1, Alarm=1,Media=1,System=1,Voice=1 (these are just examples, mainly to show that the ringtone is higher than the rest)?

Also, just to confirm: the LG's regular Sounds sliders, you don't use these any more while testing, right?  I mean, of course it's okay to use them knowing that they override your custom profiles but just wanted to be sure. 

It could very well be that a feature(?) of the LG G2 is to increase the sound level on incoming calls if the Sounds is set to Normal (not Vibrate and not Silent) and that is overriding all the other sound volumes for the Bedtime custom profile.  I''ll have to test that, I don't get many (hardly any) calls so I must admit I never noticed.  *Update: I just tried it, I set my profile to Night (Ringtone=5,Notification=1) and called myself; then sent myself an email -- all seemed to be as expected (barely audible).

Oh, in the Settings for Profile Scheduler, there is a checkbox that says "Volume Control -- Always use profile settings for ringer, notification and system volumes."  For whatever reason, I have that not checked although it sounds like I SHOULD have that checked.  So just curious if yours is checked or unchecked?  Possibly try toggling that to see if it affects whether the volumes stay low on your Bedtime profile even after a phone call or after adjusting the ringtone slider.

Andybb

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2014, 01:42:03 AM »
Hi, I have done all of the above, the bed time setting is ring 2 all the others 0, the ringer is play lower now but any notifications still play out.

To stop these I can only do it in the LG settings.

What do you have your phone ringtone set to in the phone, looking at help file on app it says this makes a difference.
I don't have the check box checked as how I read that it should nor be checked like yours.

It seems the ring tone is controlling all

Sent from my LG-D802 using Tapatalk

Klotar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2014, 06:32:05 AM »
My ringtone Volume on the G2's Sounds applet doesn't have a numerical value -- it looks like about 1/3 of the way.  In Profile Scheduler+, in the Weekly Daytime Profile (as it is a weekday and I am at work right now), it shows as 2 out of 7... which I suppose is 1/3 of the way.

I've just now changed my Profile Scheduler+ profile manually to Normal (my usual after work profile), and now when I go to look at the G2's Sounds applet, the slider has moved over to about 2/3 of the way across.  So Profile Scheduler+ is controlling/altering my master volume levels on the G2 -- but it sounds like it's not doing this for you?

Now the one thing I haven't done yet is set everything to 0 except ringtone to 2 (I'll make a "Test" profile and send myself an email (which should be making no noise) to see what it does.

Klotar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2014, 07:28:48 AM »
You are right! The notifications are linked to the ringer.  I did a series of tests with multiple profiles, including one that SHOULD have been completely silent for everything but phone calls (your main example) and you are correct, a notification that should be silent has sounds.

Giving this some thought, I know exactly why I have never noticed before.  Since my BlackBerry days, and including my previous device (Samsung Galaxy S3), the first two apps I downloaded and installed were: 1) a profile scheduler, and 2) an LED notification app.

The profile scheduler we've discussed already but my LED notification app (Light Flow) has a scheduled override (which coincidentally is at night) where I specify that I do not want to see or hear notifications other than the ringer between certain times (which also happened to coincide to the same times as my Night profile), and it silences everything except the ringer.  Basically this means that the only time I should really notice is in the weekday daytime EXCEPT I happened to have the notification volumes low and not entirely off -- so I did not notice since it was doing what I wanted.

So you have my apologies for doubting you!

Now all this said, let's see if we can resolve the problem with a different app.  I just finished scouring the apps in the Play Store and as you surmise, most are the same.  HOWEVER, one seems to stand out from the rest in that the description states it as an app that "unlinks the ringer and the notifications".  This sounds promising.

The app is called "Smart Sound Profiles" by Alexander Tartar.  There is a trial version and a paid version ($3.80).

Trial Version : https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tartar.soundprofilesfree

Full Version: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tartar.soundprofiles

I'm going to give it a try now myself.  I don't know what the limitations of the trial version are (a certain number of days or reduced features/functionality).  Update: the trial version is fully functional for 10 days.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2014, 09:11:21 AM by Klotar »

Klotar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2014, 08:49:32 AM »
Okay, I've installed Smart Sound Profiles (full version) and it seems to work as we'd expect (I mean, as we REALLY expect now!).

After re-creating my profiles and schedules, I also created a new Test profile where everything is off except the ringer.  I sent some IM's and emails to myself and the notifications are completely silent now.  And then I called myself and I can hear the low volume ring.

I think this should do as you want now.

This new app (I'm going to call Profile Scheduler+ the old app, and Smart Sound Profiles the new app) is basically the same as the old app, but there are some differences.  The new app has coloured icons that go in the notification bar which helps at a glance to know what profile you are currently set at (although you can set symbolic icons, the colour helps even more).  The new app does a lot less 'fancy stuff' (like launch apps, etc.) but seems to do the basic functions better.  It does still allow you to turn wi-fi off and on via the schedule but I use a different app for that anyways.

One small thing I haven't tested yet is to see if the app momentarily jumps to the foreground when the schedule and profile change activates (the old app didn't use to do that but does now), which is marginally annoying when you are in the middle of doing something else (no harm, just annoying).  If the new app doesn't do that (a toast notification would be fine), that'd be even better.

Another small thing I haven't tested yet is overriding the current profile.  For example, if it is evening (when my Normal profile would be active), I may want to override it if I am at the movies.  I think the widget may do this but would have to play with it.

Update: I put the phone on Silent (the G2's NATIVE Silent, not the app's Silent), which means the phone is on Silent (e.g. for the movies) but the active profile was still Normal).  The G2's Silent took priority over my active Normal profile (GOOD).  However, I manually switched the profile (the new app's profile) to Normal (e.g. the movie ended) and it ALSO turned off the G2's native Silent (now that is really cool, the old app didn't do that).  This means that when the movie is over (my example), I don't have to remember to change the app profile back to Normal *AND* remember to also take it off G2's Silent mode.  I like that! 

POSSIBLY the only time this might be an issue is if I am at the movies during a weekday daytime (active app profile is Quiet), I override it with G2's Silent mode, and then partway through the movie (at 5:00 PM), my app's Normal schedule kicks in (turning on my Normal profile) which would also presumably also turn off my G2 Silent Mode.  Those instances are going to be few and far between (as if I'm going to go to the movies on a weekday afternoon!) but could be a problem for some users unless they remember to disable the scheduler also.  That said, there is also a priority mode that I didn't bother setting or playing with yet that might solve this rare scenario.  All that said, using the G2's quickly accessible Sounds icon to toggle between Sound/Vibrate/Silent is a lot quicker than fumbling with the profiles for those "one-off" situations like my movie example.  The new app also has a specific setting for creating these "one-off" custom profiles, likely specifically for situations like this movie example -- which I haven't played with yet.

Personally, I will probably just stick to my usual profiles (Normal, Quiet, Silent) and two schedules (Weekday Daytime = Quiet, Daily Nighttime = Silent [all other times will use Normal]) as just Set-'n-Forget; and for those one-off situations, just use the G2 Silent mode to override the current scheduled profile.  I don't think the new app handles meetings but I didn't really use the old app for that, so no loss.  There are other apps that specifically take care of meetings so if the need arises in the future, I think I'll just install one of those.

Edit: there is also a timer mode that can be used for those one-offs (e.g. turn phone silent for the next two hours).  Also, you can access the profiles from the notification dropdown, so no need to have the widget handy or the hunt for the app icon for a manual profile change.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2014, 08:56:09 AM by Klotar »

Andybb

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2014, 03:44:18 AM »
That is just the app I was looking for, thank you for taking the time for very detailed reply and hunting down this product.

All the best to you.
Cheers
Andy

Sent from my LG-D802 using Tapatalk

Klotar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2014, 08:52:57 AM »
I'm glad it's working for you.  I've switched over myself (I guess I should update my Profile Scheduler+ review to indicate that), and mention the linking of ringtones and notifications.

I did notice one small thing though with the new Smart Sound Profiles app.  This one does not seem to control the System Sounds in it's profiles.  System sounds are the click sounds when you tap on an app to launch it, or the lockscreen sound, tap noise on the keyboard, etc.  I used to have these sounds louder when on a loud profile and quieter on a quiet profile although this does not affect the notification or ringer sounds in any way.  To me, this is minor compared to the positives of having unlinked ringer/notifications but the exclusion of system sounds in a profile MIGHT annoy some.