popularity: 1
blackwell387
popularity: 0
dropshotennis
G2Fan G2Fan

* G Forum Polls

• What new rumored feature would you MOST like to see in the LG G5?
  • Dot Accessory slot for added accessories/functions
  • 0 (0%)
  • Dot larger battery
  • 0 (0%)
  • Dot 4k display
  • 0 (0%)
  • Dot improved camera (dual cameras?)
  • 0 (0%)
  • Dot moving of buttons to side from back
  • 0 (0%)
  • Dot Aluminum/metal body
  • 0 (0%)
  • Dot other
  • 0 (0%)
  • Total Members Voted: 0
  • View Topic

Author Topic: G2 SMS/Text Notification File Location  (Read 2683 times)

jT

• popularity: 0
    • View Profile
G2 SMS/Text Notification File Location
« on: March 07, 2014, 05:18:23 PM »
I'm trying add a custom text notification tone to my wife's G2, but am unable to find the Android file location. This would be the directory that contains tones like, 'Default sound (Crystal)', 'Acoustic Guitar', 'Bean', etc. I thought it would be:

home/sdcard/Notifications

But that was empty. I tried dropping a custom 'ringtone' into that directory and it does not show up as a selection in the text messaging settings, even after a restart.

Also tried a search for "crystal" and "acoustic" using 'Root File Browser', with no joy.

Where do you drop a custom ringtone for SMS?

Grazie!

jT

Klotar

• Global Moderator
  • popularity: 7
    • View Profile
Re: G2 SMS/Text Notification File Location
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2014, 03:34:16 PM »
Notification sound files should go into /storage/emulated/0/Notifications (or Internal Storage\Notifications).

The reason that you can't find the stock Notification sounds that come with the G2 is that some of them are .ogg files that you need a root explorer to find (which you said you have) but also that they are NOT individual sound files.  They "look like" sound files (e.g. the Vienna Choir stuff) to all the applications and the media player, but all of the LG ringtones and notifications are in a big system file 'somewhere else'.  This not only prevents accidental deletion but also prevent people from copying the sounds off the phone for use elsewhere.  Most phone manufacturers do this (LG, Samsung, BlackBerry, HTC for sure, don't know about others).

That said, dropping sound files into the Notifications folder SHOULD do the trick and allow it to be "seen" by other applications and the media player.  Once in a while, the indexing or whatnot gets behind or out of sync but a reboot will generally fix it.  Now, you said already that you rebooted and your SMS app can't see it.  What is the extension on the sound file (.mp3, .wav, etc.).  Can the file be seen and played from the Media/Music Player?  Is the file named funny or have leading spaces or special characters -- anything like that?  Does the Notifications folder have a file in there called ".nomedia" (this prevents the directory from being scanned by the media player service).
Klotar -- Supervising Manager,
The Department of Redundancy Department
iPhone 7 | iOS 10.1.0 | Rogers Wireless

jT

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2014, 08:39:23 AM »
Morning Klotar,

Thanks for the reply. I'm finding that either I obviously have NO understanding of the file structure in Android, or there is a lot of virtual storage for reasons known only to the developers.  I'm more confused than a baby in a topless bar!  ;D  Using 'Root Browser', here's what I'm running into . . .

I've dropped the following files in: /sdcard/Alarms
     Marimba.mp3
     nuclear_alarm.mp3

They show up in:
     /sdcard/Alarms
     /storage/emulated/0/Alarms
     /storage/emulated/legacy/Alarms
     /storage/sdcard0/Alarms
They show up in the Clock-Alarm app

I've dropped the following files in: /sdcard/Notifications
     bringout.mp3
     CarChirp.mp3
     DROID.mp3
     Goal.mp3
     Jackpot.mp3
     Goal.mp3
     Jackpot.mp3
     Knock, Knock, Knock.mp3
     Maxwell.mp3
     minions_text_message.mp3
     priceiswrong.mp3
     pst_pst_pst.mp3
     rimshot.mp3
     SadTrombone.mp3
     Sneeze.mp3
     sneezing_phone.mp3
     Stop.mp3
     whistle.mp3
     Wolf Whistle.mp3
     Youve Got Mail.mp3

They are visible in:
     /sdcard/Notifications
     /storage/emulated/0/Notifications
     /storage/emulated/legacy/Notifications
     /storage/sdcard0/Notifications
The only ones that seem to show up in either 'Messaging' or 'Google+ Hangouts' are:
     "Bring Out Your Dead", which I think is "bringout.mp3"
     "Knock"; unless this is a system file, I think it is "Knock, Knock, Knock.mp3"
     "Maxwell", which should be "Maxwell.mp3"
     "You've Got Mail" which should be "Youve Got Mail.mp3"
Those may be getting affected by the 'names' in the file properties. I'd have to look at details of the original files.

All of the mp3 files I've dropped into /sdcard/Ringtones show up in the same sub-folders,
     /sdcard/Ringtones
     /storage/emulated/0/Ringtones
     /storage/emulated/legacy/Ringtones
     /storage/sdcard0/Ringtones
AND as ringtones . . . and that is apparently duplicates of the files above as well as unique ringtones.

Again, using 'Root Browser' I've done a search for "Vienna", "ogg", ".ogg" and "*.ogg" with No Joy. Apparently they are in protected storage, not accessible to 'Root Browser' - note, this is an unrooted phone, so 'Root Browser' may not have full access to that 'big system file somewhere else'. Not important, I just want to see my files.

I've not put any music on the G2 yet, so the only files showing up in the 'Music' app are the 'Vienna Boys Choir' stuff.

The stock 'File Manager' shows 757 files under music (bunch of audiobooks padding that out) and shows my /Alarms, /Notifications and /Ringtones folders/files in /storage/emulated/o/*. I can apparently send any of the .mp3 files in those folders to 'Music' or 'Google Play Music', but they still don't show up in 'Music' after a manual send/play.

So . . .
  • Still waiting to see if indexing will possible catch up.
    Most of the files are .mp3 . . . hmmmm, I MAY have dropped a couple of .ogg in there. I'll have to look and see
    They can't be SEEN from the 'Music' app, but can be SENT to the 'Music' app and played.
    Some of the files DO have funny file names, commas, spaces, special characters. Maybe I'll try some renaming. But again, ALL of them dropped into /Ringtones show up.
    I don't see a .nomedia file in any of the folders.

Klotar

• Global Moderator
  • popularity: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2014, 09:50:23 AM »
Okay.  With your detailed reply, I think I know what part of the issue is (some notifications not visible to apps), I have run into this before to some extent.

The issue has to do with mp3 tags, which can differ for each file depending on how the file was created, by what app, etc.  Some applications read just the filename of the file ("mytune.mp3"), but other apps read one or more of the tags inside the file ("This is my tune"), and if it can't read the tag, THEN it defaults to reading the filename.  Simple ripper files will have no tags at all in it, other apps that rip .mp3's or extract then from other media player apps, etc. will have all sorts of tags in them, such as Title (which may not be the name of the file), Album, Artist, Track, Composer, Year, Genre and so forth.  Ever wondered why a file that you painstakingly named properly as "This Is My Favorite Song" shows up in say, Windows Media Player as "this is my fave song - the joe blow movie soundtrack - 2014"?  This drove me crazy, hehe.  Okay, we will come back to this and what we can do about it.

Some apps (Android or otherwise) will read the song title in the tag, and if there isn't one, default to the filename.  Other apps will try to read the song title in the tag and if it can't find one, completely ignores the file.  And yet other apps only read the filename and ignore the song title tag.  The second scenario COULD be what is happening.

To cut a long story short, in my case because I had this issue and a VERY messy music collection from all sources (some from iTunes, some I ripped myself, some downloaded from some webpage, others by... ah, other means.  So, some had title tags, some didn't, some had title tags but they were sloppy, some had blank album names, no album art, you name it.  I decided to bite the bullet and take on the unenviable task of editing my tags.

I had two choices, I could edit them on my PC using available freeware tools and then re-copy them over to my G2, or I could edit them "on device" with an app.  In the end I chose an app called PlayerPro which not only is a very nice (IMO) player in it's own right but had the ability to edit the tags.  So that's what I did, one by one but fortunately I only had several dozen songs and not hundreds/thousands.

Okay, that was songs.  For Notifications, I took the easy way out.  Sure, I could have edited all the tags (ugh!) but instead I chose to convert all of the notification files from .mp3 to .wav (which strips out ALL the tags, since .wav files don't have this info), then deleted the original .mp3's (okay, I moved them elsewhere) and converted all the .wav back to .mp3.  I didn't mind losing the tag info because well, they were just notification tones.  There are freeware apps out there that do batch conversions (I think the one I used was called something like SwitchSound Converter) and all my files were converted and back literally in seconds.

I also, since now was a good a time as any, I then ran an "mp3 Normalizer app" on all the files (again, I just did them in a batch, so we are talking seconds here, to make them all roughly the same db volume level).  It's not perfect but helps keep the sounds consistent.

So then I deleted all the mp3 files in my G2's Notification folder, dropped the new mp3's in and everything worked fine from there.  In hindsight, I was going to instead just drop the .wav files in there (instead of converting them back to .mp3) but then I would have had to remember to normalize them first, which I admittedly didn't.

As for where the stock system notification, ringtones, alarms are stored, I've since read that there are indeed individual files (depending on mfr, android version, etc.), but they are in a subdirectory under /system which definitely requires root (plus root explorer) to see.
Klotar -- Supervising Manager,
The Department of Redundancy Department
iPhone 7 | iOS 10.1.0 | Rogers Wireless

jT

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2014, 08:07:21 AM »
Brilliant Klotar! I've gone through ALL of my Alarm, Notification and Ringtone files on the PC and edited both the file names, i.e., from "Wolf Whistle.mp3" to "WolfWhistle.mp3", gotten rid of underscores, commas and dashes and edited the properties to add a descriptive title to each. I've got all kinds of choices showing up now!

Thanks!

jT