popularity: 1
blackwell387
popularity: 0
dropshotennis
G2Fan G2Fan

* G Forum Polls

• What new rumored feature would you MOST like to see in the LG G5?
  • Dot Accessory slot for added accessories/functions
  • 0 (0%)
  • Dot larger battery
  • 0 (0%)
  • Dot 4k display
  • 0 (0%)
  • Dot improved camera (dual cameras?)
  • 0 (0%)
  • Dot moving of buttons to side from back
  • 0 (0%)
  • Dot Aluminum/metal body
  • 0 (0%)
  • Dot other
  • 0 (0%)
  • Total Members Voted: 0
  • View Topic

Author Topic: G2 On Screen App Notifications Circle/Number  (Read 7220 times)

jT

• popularity: 0
    • View Profile
G2 On Screen App Notifications Circle/Number
« on: March 07, 2014, 06:12:57 PM »

In the picture above, there is an orange circle with '23' inside, indicating I have 23 emails waiting in the stock email app. On my SG S3, I had these notifications for most apps. Let me know with a glance at the screen, what I might have pending. These notifications seem to be present for very few apps, and not at all for apps added from the Play Store. I'm playing with 'Hangouts' from Google and would like very much to see it display those.

Can these be turned on somewhere? I've explored settings, searched this forum and searched Google without luck. Could be I'm not using a proper name in my searches . . .

Grazie!

jT

Klotar

• Global Moderator
  • popularity: 7
    • View Profile
Re: G2 On Screen App Notifications Circle/Number
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2014, 03:21:16 PM »
These are called "Notification Badges".  The stock LG G2 only supports Notification Badges for Gmail, Messaging (Text), and Missed Calls, I think; maybe Hangouts? and Facebook?.

To have Notification Badges for 3rd party applications (Kik, BBM, Whatsapp, Skype, Voxer, etc.), basically you need a 3rd party launcher (such as Nova, Apex, Go Launcher, etc) and a "Notification Service Provider (I used one called "Missed It!").

While  this may sound a bit complex, let me explain a bit.  For Notification Badges to work, it requires a Notification Service Provider.  What a Notification Service Provider is, is an app that monitors your notification bar (up top) and if there is a match with a notification that you are watching for, it adds a Notification Badge, or if it exists already, it increments the count by one.

While it would be nice for all apps to have built in support for Notification Badges, they don't.  However, almost all apps do put notifications in the notification bar.  The beauty of a Notification Service Provider such as "Missed It!" is that almost every third party app is automatically supported, even if the app hasn't even been written yet!  As long as the 3rd party app puts a notification icon into the notification bar, Missed It will catch it, and your launcher will display that count (that is, if you tell it to.  It can ignore ones that you aren't interested in, too).

I'll leave it at that for now, if you want more information, post here and I or someone else will try to answer.

My previous device was also a Samsung Galaxy S3.  I don't recall the Notification Badges working on 3rd party apps until I installed Missed It! and Nova Launcher.  It's possible though that the S3 supported a couple more apps than the G2 does out of the box but not 3rd party apps as far as I know, without launcher support (Nova has a free one, Telsa Unread, but it only supports a limited number of apps).
Klotar -- Supervising Manager,
The Department of Redundancy Department
iPhone 7 | iOS 10.1.0 | Rogers Wireless

jT

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2014, 08:56:48 AM »
'Notification Badges' - I knew there was a 'proper' name. Seems like I had played with on of the launchers on my S3, but after a root, returned it to stock, no launcher. I'll check out 'Missed It' or another launcher and see if that will give me what I'm looking for.

Thanks Klotar!

jT

jT

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2014, 07:00:03 AM »
Missed it may very well be what I'm looking for . . . if I can get it all to come together. I've got a message posted over in the MissedIt! Forums as, so far, it seems to be hit or miss on showing badges for my notifications. I know it's a configuration thing, but the tutorial is a little sparse. It tells me I can customize the configurations and where, but not how. Not a NOOB-friendly app!   ;D  I'm using pattern lock on the screen and that may affect my functionality a little bit. For the moment, I've got it on one of the 'side' lock screens, but it's still missing lots of notifications that are present.

Cheers!

jT

Klotar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2014, 08:26:51 AM »
Missed It! did indeed have a steep learning curve BUT at the time I got it, I was using it for creating a custom widget that displayed the number of unread messages (email, txt, Kik, etc.) and not using it for notification badges.

For Notification Badges only, it's much simpler -- you don't have to play with those templates.  You just have to go to the Shared Elements tab and add in your apps that you want notification badges for, and that's it!  You can long press on each element after you've added them for some additional options but you can leave most of them as is unless you run into a problem (e.g. sometimes the badge counts double up for certain apps -- rare, but happens).

Sounds like you are setting up a widget though for the lockscreen (which isn't a notification badge thing, but a stand-alone "unread items" type widget)?  I may be rusty on that but should be able to help there too.

jT

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2014, 10:27:56 AM »
Welllll then Klotar . . . put on your thinking cap!

I've done the following:
  • Read the FAQ
  • Searched the 'MissedIt!' forum for the keywords: "Hangouts", "Words With Friends", "Hanging With Friends", etc.
  • Enabled Missed It! as an Accessibility Service, disabled and re-enabled it as an Accessibility Service
  • Done a manual re-boot by holding the power button to shut down and restart
  • Added the following shared elements: Missed Calls, Unread Messages, Voicemail, my UID as a GMail account, Dice With Buddies, Gmail, Hanging, Hangouts, Tapatalk 4 (I've actually added BOTH Tapatalk and Tapatalk 4; probably need to uninstall one)  and Words Free

I've actually got the widget to work as on of my 'Lock Screen' options. I have pattern lock, but added MissedIt! as a widget to slide from the side. Problem is, it's not showing counts for Gmail, or the stock 'Mail' app, Hanging or Words; I missed adding Dice to that, so just did. Below is a screen shot of the slid lock screen and my Home screen:

In looking at the 'Lock' Screen you can see my items showing up in the widgets, but no missed counts for Email, Hangouts, Hanging or Words, all of which have pending actions. I have NOT done a reboot since adding the widget, so may give that a shot.

On the 'Home' Screen you can see:
  • MissedIt! running in the top left corner
  • Tapatalk showing pending actions, but no Badge
  • Dice with pending actions, but no Badge
  • Gmail with pending actions, no Badge
  • The stock 'Messaging' app with actions, no Badge for Hangouts.

Next is the selected 'Shared Elements' and a sample of one of the 'Elements' (Dice With Buddies):

I'm sure the reason I'm not getting proper Badges show up is one of two reasons:
  • Something is not configured right for each 'Element'. The 'Tutorial' is vague on specific settings
  • They are in folders? Have not tried pulling misbehaving apps out of folders to see what happens.

Thanks for your help!

Cheers!

jT

Klotar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2014, 12:14:03 PM »
Wow, looks like you have MASTERED Missed It!  :)

I probably glossed over it and didn't emphasize it but the notification service provider (Missed It!) is only half the process of getting notification badges.  The other is a 3rd party launcher (I use Nova Prime).  From there (if you use Nova), you would enable Unread Counts and select Missed It! as the service provider.

I hope that I didn't lead you astray by not going into detail on the part about needing a launcher.  I think you mentioned that you had tried them briefly on your previous device but didn't like it?

Nova Launcher will import your current layout and settings, but you would have to reconfigure widgets.  You don't have to reconfigure lockscreen widgets though like the one you just set up.

jT

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2014, 01:22:39 PM »
Well, er, uh, if you mean by 'MASTERED' that I have full and complete partial misunderstanding of some of the issues involved, you nailed it! This is why those word problems always kicked my @$$ in school. Read the ENTIRE question . . . I don't think you glossed over the part about the launcher.   ::)  I actually liked one of the launchers I used on my S3, just between rooting, bricking a couple of times and restoring, it got lost in the shuffle. Hehe, just went into Google Play, searched for Nova Launcher and there it is. Not 'Free' or '$', just install. It's the one I played with before! Installing. I MAY have more questions!

jT

Klotar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2014, 02:43:06 PM »
Just a quick note before you bang your head on the wall: the paid "key" file for Nova Launcher is called Nova Prime (once that's installed, it enables the pro features of Nova Launcher.  Unread Counts (notification badges) is a paid feature I believe.  Possibly you bought it already, so do a quick search in the Play Store and see if it also just says Install.  I don't remember what it cost.

Sorry also if I seem  to be be making you pay for apps left and right; that wasn't my intent -- I was just passing on what was working for me to get notification badges (which I do find very handy) working.

jT

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2014, 03:35:21 PM »
Hehe. You answered my next question before I could get it out. It now seems that I've lost ALL my notifications . . . Nova Prime! The $1.57 for MissedIt! was painless. $4 for for Nova Launcher Prime, not bad, if I can get the phone to do what I want. But before I do . . . adding these additional apps, which are now running all the time, any idea at what point I start taking a hit in performance? As time went on, my S3 seemed slower and slower. Don't want to 'sludge' the G2 . . .   ::)

jT

Klotar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2014, 08:46:56 AM »
Sorry for the late reply.  A launcher may take more or less resources than the G2's stock Home launcher, as it is not running on top of the stock launcher but rather running instead of it.  This is confirmed by the fact that you can switch between launchers.

I did notice slowdown in my GS3 over time but as best as I could tell, it wasn't related to the launcher.  I could switch to using the stock Touchwiz launcher and it did not seem to make any difference either way.

One thing that you may run into or have already run into if you have now switched launchers over the weekend is that Knock Off only works if you double tap on the notification bar area now.  On the stock G2 Home launcher, as you know, double tapping on a blank area turns off the display.  When you use any 3rd party launcher (be it Nova, Go Launcher, Action Launcher, etc.), that seemingly blank area on the screen is not really blank as far as the G2 is concerned, because the launcher's skin is covering it.  That said, have no fear!  There is an easy way to get a double tap to turn off the screen just like Knock Off does:

First, you have to install a FREE app from the Play Store called "Screen Off and Lock" (author is KATECCA).  I know I'm apping you to death but this one is free.  :)  Anyways, all  this app does is turn off the screen.  What you do, is set "Gestures" in Nova launcher to launch Screen Off and Lock when you double tap in an empty area.  You don't have to have the Screen Off and Lock icon anywhere on your desktop, just leave it in the app drawer (there is a bit of configuration to do but I think I left everything at defaults).  Gestures is a paid feature of Nova (included if you purchase Prime), but if you set the double tap gesture to launch the screen off app, you hardly know that you are not using the G2's native knock off.

You are now (or will be) more or less set up the same as me: Missed It! + Nova Launcher (Prime) + Screen Off and Lock.  This combo should get you Notification Badges and Knock Off without much slowdown.

Can you elaborate a bit on when you lost all your notifications?  Do you mean in the Missed It! widget?  The launcher should not affect the Missed It! widget if you are running it on the lockscreen.

jT

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2014, 09:16:51 AM »

Buy an app to give me all notifications
Buy a launcher to make that app work (not mentioned on MissedIt! store page  8) )
The launcher app makes me lose 'Double Tap' to close unless I use the notification bar or load ANOTHER app
The launcher app does not display most of the basic widgets that came on my phone (admittedly, I only use a few, but those few dissapeared)

It starts becoming not worth it as much. It's not the cost of apps, it's more that I have to kludge everything to make it work the way it should have out of the box!  There, was that whiney enough?   ;D

Note: sorry about the accidental edit -- Klo
« Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 04:14:35 PM by Klotar »

Klotar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2014, 04:13:36 PM »
EDIT: I am not sure what happened there, and why the original post by jT is partially gone -- I think I thought I was editing my own post and quoting, sorry!   :-[

Anyway, my reply (I have now put it in a new post) was:

Yes -- you summed it up.  The only widget that I know of that comes stock with the G2 that does not work with Nova Launcher is the weather widget (lockscreen clock where it snows when it is snowing, and the main screen weather widget).  Is there a specific one that you want to get working but does not?

While Missed It! is only a service provider for the badges and allows you to create that custom missed notifications widget; and Screen Off and Lock only allows you to 'knock off' the G2, I think that Nova Launcher is more than just a piece of the Notification Badge jigsaw puzzle.  3rd Party Launchers allow a lot of other customizations that I like that of course may not appeal to you.  For instance, I use "Icon Packs" to change the look of all my icons.  Some are a pain to change (they work with launchers on an individual basis, but who likes changing icons one by one?), but some icon packs will fully integrate and replace every icon with a "themed icon" (even if a specific icon like Word Feud isn't supported by the icon pack, it will "theme" it (convert it) to an icon that looks like the others -- hard to explain, sorry).  My current icon  theme is called "Nox", you can search for it in the Play Store; as usual, some are free and some are paid.

Nova Launcher also allows me to resize widgets that were not written to be re-sizeable (some are and some aren't).  I can also change the number of icons per row, from say 5 -- up to 6 or down to 4, plus change the size of the icons (e.g. make the icons 50% of the current normal size, or 125%).  Or you can set Nova to display with no labels underneath the icons to give more vertical space per screen -- does one really need the word "Map" under an icon that looks like a map?  Or, if you want to have 18 items on the bottom dock for fast access, you can scroll the dock left or right and have 3 sets of 6 icons instead of the 5 you are given as stock.  You can also change the page animation when you swipe through screens.  In short, you can do a lot of customization with a 3rd party launcher.  You can switch icon sets in seconds, from a stock looking Kitkat look to a old skool gingerbread/ICS look; and you can even switch back to the stock launcher if the need arises.

I do feel guilty at pointing you at these paid apps but if purchased through the Play Store, they stay with you from device to device; so 95% of the apps I paid for also work with my Nexus 7 tablet, and most of the purchases were made when I had a Samsung GS3; when I switched to the G2, all the apps came with me -- didn't have to pay again.  Games, chat apps, etc. will come and go as I get bored but utility apps like my profile changer (Profile Scheduler+ or SmartSoundProfiles), launcher (Nova Prime), service provider (Missed It!), notification app (Light Flow), File Manager (ES Explorer), Password Keeper (aWallet), Calendar (digiCal), Alarm Clock (Alarm Clock+) and Media Player (PlayerPro) go with me when I switch devices.  :)

Okay, let's see if I can figure out how to post an image of my homescreen...  Edit, woah it's huge, LOL!