popularity: 1
blackwell387
popularity: 0
dropshotennis
G2Fan G2Fan

* G Forum Polls

• What new rumored feature would you MOST like to see in the LG G5?
  • Dot Accessory slot for added accessories/functions
  • 0 (0%)
  • Dot larger battery
  • 0 (0%)
  • Dot 4k display
  • 0 (0%)
  • Dot improved camera (dual cameras?)
  • 0 (0%)
  • Dot moving of buttons to side from back
  • 0 (0%)
  • Dot Aluminum/metal body
  • 0 (0%)
  • Dot other
  • 0 (0%)
  • Total Members Voted: 0
  • View Topic

Author Topic: Apps/Email  (Read 6913 times)

mafiaprincess

• popularity: 0
    • View Profile
Apps/Email
« on: March 13, 2014, 03:11:55 PM »
This just started this week. Mon or Tue? My email keeps shutting down on me & I have no idea why. At first it just gave me a pop-up message when I tried to get in. SORRY. UNFORTUNATELY EMAIL HAS STOPPED. I had to click OK & I was taken back to home page. I was able to share something from Facebook via Email.  I'm  getting messages. Every time one comes in I get notification. And the count on my home page indicates new messages. Then it started letting me back in. I sent a test to myself & it came thru. But I can only stay in for minutes(5-10). Then the message comes back & I'm back at home page. One time today(so far) I got different message. THE PROCESS COM.LGE.EMAIL HAS STOPPED. Once when I got in I deleted as much stuff as possible. I had a lot of messages in my Trash folder. I thought system deleted after certain period. Apparently not. I downloaded some apps from Play Store recently. Within the last week. Maybe one of those? I deleted some today. Thought that might clear it up. No such luck. There's probabably something I overlooked. I can't really remember exactly when I downloaded every app. There's gotta be a way to find out date I downloaded apps but I don't know it. People at Sprint are about as clueless as me. HELP! I'm getting a migrane.

Klotar

• Global Moderator
  • popularity: 7
    • View Profile
Re: Apps/Email
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2014, 03:33:29 PM »
Sounds possibly like something has gotten corrupted in the emails.  Is your main email account a gmail account or some other provider?  If you are looking for specific emails, you may be able to find it in gmail/yahoo/etc.

We could go through some troubleshooting, but what might be the easiest way to get you up and running is to delete the email DATA on the G2 and set up the email account(s) again.  This will set up new sync links to the email accounts.

To do so, go to Settings, then Apps.  Slide over to "ALL", and then scroll down to find Email.  Click that Email line.

Click the Clear Cache button, and then the Clear Data button.  Escape out and back to the desktop.  Reboot the phone, go into your Email app and set up  your email accounts again.  That should fix things up.  Clearing cache and Clearing data doesn't delete the original emails from your email account on the provider side, but only from your G2.  If you delete the email in the email app, they will go into the trash on the G2 and also go into trash on the email account on the provider side.

When you say you can only stay in for 5 - 10 minutes, what do you mean by that?  Stay in what...?
Klotar -- Supervising Manager,
The Department of Redundancy Department
iPhone 7 | iOS 10.1.0 | Rogers Wireless

mafiaprincess

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2014, 03:26:25 AM »
When I want to go to email(hotmail) I click icon on homepage. Goes to my mailbox. Usually inbox.  Check list. Read. Send. Reply. Whatever. If I see something that looks suspicious or I don't recognize sender I just delete without reading. When this first started earlier this week(Mon or Tue) went to email. Clicked icon. Got message. SORRY. UNFORTUNATELY EMAIL HAS STOPPED. Then yesterday one time I clicked & went right to email as usual. Read message. Sent. Replied. The usual. For about 5-10 minutes. Then I get message. Click OK. Back to homepage. Like it's timing out. (Not surprising considering it's Sprint. But never had it happen in email. Only web). I got access more than once. Each time same result.  Once I didn't even click OK. Just threw me out after showing message. I thought maybe it was an email I got recently. Think I've deleted everything suspicious/needless. Even out of Trash folder(is there a way to put time limit on these?). Could it be an app I downloaded recently? Think I uninstalled all the recent downloads but I could have missed something. Is there a way to find out date I downloaded?
Just tried. Got in mailbox. Then message before I could even see what/who first email is.

Klotar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2014, 06:30:01 AM »
Yuk, sounds like something is crashing the Email application.  While I haven't had any email related problems on the G2 yet (other than the occasional authentication failure, which goes away by itself and probably caused by me being accessing the email from my PC at the same time), I've seen similar when I had my S3.  I think clearing the cache and data in the email application as I described above would be a prudent first step.  The only hassle is re-entering your email accounts again (but this method is better than simply removing and re-adding the accounts from the email app itself).

You won't actually lose your email doing it this way.  Or let us know if you'd prefer trying something else.

EDIT: I don't think an app caused this, unless it was an app related to email (i.e. a 3rd party email client).
« Last Edit: March 14, 2014, 06:36:14 AM by Klotar »

jT

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2014, 07:04:10 AM »
Just a question here, mafiaprincess, are you using the 'Mail' app or your browser to read mail?  You said,
When I want to go to email(hotmail) I click icon on homepage.
which sounds like you may be using your browser. If so, there is a more 'elegant' mail option by setting up an account and using the mail app Klotar is referring to.

jT

mafiaprincess

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2014, 05:35:03 AM »
Guess browser. MSN? Same thing I've always used. On every phone I've ever had.
Also. Don't THINK it matters but...Last year when hotmail changed to Outlook I was under the impression I didn't have to do anything. So I didn't.
Maybe I'll just switch to Gmail which is already available. Seems like logical solution. But then what about all the sites/people that have hotmail address? And sites where I use hotmail address in user info?
I can message all contacts but what about others? Like the Sprint acct I FINALLY got set up (after??? seems like forever).
I'm getting another migrane.

jT

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2014, 06:59:50 AM »
Morning mafiaprincess,

As far as Browser vs. Mail app, your browser is probably either the stock browser, launched by tapping an icon shaped like a globe of the earth, like this: vs. the Chrome browser which looks like this: . Then, there's a slew of others; Firefox, Boat, Opera, Dolphin, etc. And you're right, it doesn't matter how you enter Hotmail. You enter either hotmail.com or outlook.com, which both end up at some form of *.mail.live.com. This would be a 'Web' interface. I've experienced a lot of problems with the PC desktop web interface with Hotmail/Outlook/Live. Wouldn't be surprised that there might be phablet browser issues too.

You can also use the stock mail app. Go into Settings->Accounts & sync->Add account-> hmmm, either "Email" or "Microsoft Exchange" (mine is already set up; I don't remember what it looked like before I set up Hotmail). From there, you would look for an App Icon that either looks like an open or closed envelope with an "@" symbol:

There's some configuration to be done for each mail account entered: which folders you want to sync, how far back, 'Push' and how often, manual fetching of mail, etc. Properly set up, the app will fetch all of your mail for you, can notify you every time one comes in and be all ready to read when you open the app. If you get a LOT of mail, 'Push' could drain your battery a little, or a lot, faster.

As far as Gmail, in my experience that seems to be a better email experience all the way around. LOTS of functionality when you start adding in all of the other stuff Google does: Drive, Calendar, even maps has some integration. Main reason I've kept my Hotmail account is that I've had it for so long and it's my 'give away' when a business needs my email. My Gmail is for friends and family, who also have and use my Hotmail. So, both get heavy use.

As far as a Sprint account, I've probably got one too, but it won't get set up. If you go to someone else at the end of your contract, you lose everything in your Sprint Email, where your Hotmail or Gmail can follow you anywhere you go.

Try the email app if you haven't yet. Post questions about set up if you have them. Hope that helps a bit.

Cheers!

jT

Klotar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2014, 08:56:30 AM »
Good point, jT.  I didn't consider that anyone might be accessing email from anything other than the email app.

Let us know what you are using, mafiaprincess, to access your email on the G2, so that we might be able to help you better.  :)

mafiaprincess

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2014, 07:09:24 AM »
Still having problem. + now I get same message about other apps while I'm doing something else. Reading webpage. Sorting files. Whatever. Hasn't been problem so far. My problem is email.
I also have 2 other email now. Outlook & Mymail. Now I  have those 2 + original (@). Which means I'm getting message in 3 different places. So far I like Mymail the best. What should I do with others?

Klotar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2014, 07:36:52 AM »
Just to avoid any confusion between us and to ensure we are talking about the same thing(s); let's clear a few things up and ask a few questions.  No insult or offense is intended nor am I talking down to you or anything -- I think we are calling the same thing something different, or calling different things the same.

Email on the LG G2 can be gotten in a number of ways:

1) using the native LG Email application that came with the device.  Icon = White Square Envelope with Yellow "@" symbol in the centre.

2) using the native GMail application that came with the device.  Icon = White Square Envelope with a Red "M" coming out of the envelope.

3) using the browser (Chrome or Internet) to access email and using shortcuts or typing in the url.

4) using 3rd party Email applications that did not come with the phone (Hotmail app, Yahoo Mail app, Outlook Mail app, K9 Email, etc.).

What are the differences, one might ask?

The LG Email application can handle all of your email, whether it is Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail, MSN/Live, AOL, and almost any other Outlook, POP3 or IMAP email (don't worry about the terminology -- suffice it to say it can handle almost all email).

The Android Gmail application can also handle all of your email, but it handles Gmail the best and other email (Yahoo, Hotmail, MSN/Live, AOL, etc.) not quite as well.  Because Gmail is by Google, and Android is more or less by Google, extra special and cool things can be done with Gmail because they are made for each other, so to speak.

Third Party Email applications usually only handle "their own email type" well, and either don't support the others or don't support them as well.  For instance, Outlook has it's own email app, Hotmail has it's own, and Yahoo has it's own.  Each one, like the Gmail app, works well with their own type of email because the app was written by the same company that the email is for (e.g. the Yahoo mail app is written by Yahoo, and so the app talks to Yahoo better than a different email app might).  There are also generic third party email apps, like K9, Aqua Mail, MailDroid, MyMail, etc. that are not tied to one type of email, but is designed to handle them all and usually have features that make them better than using a vanilla Android Email app, or Gmail, or LG Email, etc.

Lastly, you can also use the browser (Internet, Chrome, FireFox, Dolphin, etc.) to access your email by opening the browser, using a shortcut or typing in the URL, to read/reply to emails.  You can set shortcuts on your desktop, have the browser remember your login credentials, etc., and to many people, this is good enough for email.

Okay, so enough of the definitions.  You mentioned MyMail; and in reading your question again just now, I think I overdid it on the answer (but it may benefit other forum members).  I think you are asking if MyMail is good enough and if you can discontinue using the other email clients.  If so, my answer would be yes.  You don't have to go and delete the other apps (you can remove the icons from your desktop if you wish though), but you just have to go into each one and remove each email account from the app.  That way, in the end, only one app goes out to get your email (MyMail) and the others won't any more; and you won't get multiple unread counts, multiple notifications for the same email, etc.

From the app description, MyMail will do everything you need it to do, so there is no need for redundency by having more than one email app active.

mistermaverick

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2014, 12:30:18 AM »
Hi Klotar,

Same problem reported on my phone, but I have the following differences:

1. I use the stock email app to receive push email that isn't Gmail / Hotmail etc, which have their native apps but mail from a separate email server. (I have the settings for the account)
2. The email app used to work just fine until 3 weeks ago. Now, I just keep constantly getting the "Unfortunately, Email has stopped" notification continuously every 15 seconds. When I click OK, it goes away and nothing happens. It drains my battery, and more annoying, Email just doesnt open

I tried to clear cache, but because it constantly keeps saying "Email stopped", when I go to Settings ->Apps -> All -> Email and try to force stop or disable it, the buttons are greyed out and it won't allow me to clear data. Net net I'm completely stuck with a fully dysfunctional email, and would really appreciate some help!  :-[  :-\

Have made sure that all system updates and app updates are done as of yesterday, in case that's relevant.

Thanks ahead!
« Last Edit: May 18, 2014, 12:33:37 AM by mistermaverick »

Klotar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2014, 09:47:55 AM »
Hello.

What I would try next is to remove the email accounts from the Email application, and then re-add them, with a reboot in between.  I would also check your deleted mail folders after resetting up the account and manually delete all mail in there.  While most email server settings will automatically delete deleted email after say, 30 days, the email can build up even though the email is being deleted first in, first out.  The email app tries to sync all specified folders (I think you can set a limit per folder and by folder), so possibly try to trim the amount sync'd down.  Also, I try to keep the inboxes clean and move read emails that you want to keep to other folders.

That said, I did notice you said that the Email app crashes on opening, so doing these suggestions won't help immediately.

You can get at the accounts that are being sync'd by going to Settings (main settings, not email settings), Accounts & Sync, and Email.  When you click Email, you will see the email accounts set up for sync.  From there, at the bottom is Email Settings, from there you should be able to edit/add/delete accounts and set your sync frequency, max number of emails, and so on.

I haven't had any issues with the LG Email app personally, but on my previous devices, I would have issues if I had too many emails being sync'd.  Either they would refuse to sync at all or the app would crash while trying to sync.  I make heavy use of rules to automatically move my email around to folders after it's been forwarded to my phone, so generally all that remains in the inbox is mail I have no rules for.

Another alternative is to use a gmail account (new or existing) as your "hub", where this gmail account will go out and poll for your pop3 mail from your other accounts and bring it in to gmail.  What you do, in a nutshell, is set up your pop3 accounts but set these NOT to sync automatically.  Then on this gmail hub account, you poll your pop3 accounts (and if you want, let it do your filing for you).  When you have an email come in [to your gmail account via the pop3 account] that you want to reply to, you hit reply as normal but change your FROM address to your pop3 account.  If you set up "aliases" on your gmail account (another topic altogether), when you send a reply or new email from your phone through gmail, it uses your pop3 account's SMTP servers and the recipients are unaware that you are not replying from your pop3 account. 

Anyway, first let's get your issue solved.  Keep us informed and if later you are interested in alternative ways to get your mail, let us know.

peter_gibbons71

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2014, 07:18:25 PM »
Hello,

I have the same issue. I get the message of 'unfortunately email stopped' in relation to the stock email app. I cannot open it in the settings/sync side either because I get the same message. I started receiving it when I set up my phone before I got to the account part so I was never able to set up. It seemed to have been faulty from day one. Any solutions? I have tried everything mentioned here but I still get this message every 10 min or so.

Thank you!!!

Klotar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2014, 07:08:53 AM »
Hi Peter,

My only suggestion is to try what I listed near the top of this post (second post in this thread, or first reply if you will).  I know you said you read and tried everything but if you clear all the settings in the email app doing it through Settings -> Apps like I mentioned, the Email app should not crash since there will be no email accounts in there any more.

I'll repost the relevant section here:

Sounds possibly like something has gotten corrupted in the emails.  Is your main email account a gmail account or some other provider?  If you are looking for specific emails, you may be able to find it in gmail/yahoo/etc.

We could go through some troubleshooting, but what might be the easiest way to get you up and running is to delete the email DATA on the G2 and set up the email account(s) again.  This will set up new sync links to the email accounts.

To do so, go to Settings, then Apps.  Slide over to "ALL", and then scroll down to find Email.  Click that Email line.

Click the Clear Cache button, and then the Clear Data button.  Escape out and back to the desktop.  Reboot the phone, go into your Email app and set up  your email accounts again.  That should fix things up.  Clearing cache and Clearing data doesn't delete the original emails from your email account on the provider side, but only from your G2.  If you delete the email in the email app, they will go into the trash on the G2 and also go into trash on the email account on the provider side.

Let us know if this works for you.