popularity: 1
blackwell387
popularity: 0
dropshotennis
G2Fan G2Fan

* G Forum Polls

• What new rumored feature would you MOST like to see in the LG G5?
  • Dot Accessory slot for added accessories/functions
  • 0 (0%)
  • Dot larger battery
  • 0 (0%)
  • Dot 4k display
  • 0 (0%)
  • Dot improved camera (dual cameras?)
  • 0 (0%)
  • Dot moving of buttons to side from back
  • 0 (0%)
  • Dot Aluminum/metal body
  • 0 (0%)
  • Dot other
  • 0 (0%)
  • Total Members Voted: 0
  • View Topic

Author Topic: Klotar's Korner -- Light Flow  (Read 851 times)

Klotar

• Global Moderator
  • popularity: 7
    • View Profile
Klotar's Korner -- Light Flow
« on: March 18, 2014, 03:35:58 PM »
Klotar's Korner -- Light Flow

Light Flow is an application for Android, who's main function is to control the Notification LED.  While Light Flow does more than just control the LED (it can also handle your notification sounds, vibrate, repeat notifications, and also have a night mode where LED is suppressed and optionally the notifications can be too.

I would rate Light Flow as an app for intermediate to advanced users.  It's not my intent to scare anyone off, but there are a lot of options, menus and settings that may confuse a beginner to Android applications.  That said, generally once Light Flow is set up, it runs in the background and, other than tweaking settings periodically to suit your fancy, it doesn't need constant attention.

So what is it?  Well, first of all, the G2 has a notification LED.  This LED is natively supported by the G2 for Email, Gmail, Messaging, Incoming/Missed Calls, Calendar, Charging/Charged, Alarms.  However, the LED colour for almost everything is green, except Calendar which is blue, and Alarms which is multi-colour.  Battery charging is a pulsing red and battery charged is green.  These may be fine for many but other users may want more options.  The G2's LED is capable of more colours than red, green, blue.  Light Flow allows you to add more colours to your notification repetoire, such as yellow, orange, pink, purple, turquoise, etc.  In addition, you can control the rate of flashing, how long it flashes for until it stops, the frequency of repeat notifications (sound/vibrate) and how long those repeat notifications should continue.

In addition to being able to change the colours for existing supported apps, Light Flow adds the ability to have LED and sound notification for apps that do not have options for LED or sounds.  Many 3rd party apps (e.g. Kik, WhatsApp, BBM, etc.) have their own settings and options for sound and LED notifications within their app.  Other apps may or may not; for example weather apps' warnings, RSS feeds, package tracking apps, games, and so on.  For another example, I use a package tracking app called TrackChecker that basically tracks UPS/FedEx/USPS/CPC packages.  When TrackChecker updates the status of my deliveries, Light Flow can flash it's LED a unique colour and I'll know what it is if/when the G2 is sitting on my desk at work (so I may have the sound off) without turning on the phone to see what app is notifying me.

There are some global settings to set after you first install Light Flow (including allowing access to Accessibility Settings), and then there are app specific settings.  Light Flow is updated often, so many apps are supported (I can't think of any offhand for apps that I have that are currently not supported).  Each supported app that is detected as installed on your G2 shows up in Card format.  You select each card and set your settings there for what colour you want the LED to blink, the frequency, repeat notifications, etc. and and also any sound notifications.

Perhaps this is the time to mention: with Light Flow, you can control all your notification sounds for your apps in one place, if you so choose but you don't have to.  I do let Light Flow control both my LED and sounds/vibration, so what I have to do is, disable each native apps' LED notification in the G2's settings (so that the G2 and Light flow don't clash), and in each G2 app and 3rd party app, I make the sound Silent and turn Vibrate off.  Once that is done, I set Light Flow up for each app to suit my taste for LED colour, vibrate, notification sound, frequency, etc.  I can also set the G2 to show the LED as orange when charging, and green when fully charged -- and have the LED steady, not flashing and at a lower intensity than normal.

I'm going to leave it at that, and if there are any questions I will attempt to answer.  Light Flow is available as a "Lite" version which is free but has some limitations (no ads though!) and a full version ($2.49 CAD) that supports more applications and can change colour every 2.5 seconds (for when you have more than one notification).  Does not require root, although it does have a special root mode.  You can also set Light Flow up to "wake up" your screen when an incoming text comes in, if you prefer that.  Additionally, Light Flow can control the notification volume independently of the ringer volume.  And there are handy tools for backup and restore of your settings that can help when changing devices.

Lite Version https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.rageconsulting.android.lightflowlite

Full Version https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.rageconsulting.android.lightflow

Klotar -- Supervising Manager,
The Department of Redundancy Department
iPhone 7 | iOS 10.1.0 | Rogers Wireless