popularity: 1
blackwell387
popularity: 0
dropshotennis
G2Fan G2Fan

* G Forum Polls

• What new rumored feature would you MOST like to see in the LG G5?
  • Dot Accessory slot for added accessories/functions
  • 0 (0%)
  • Dot larger battery
  • 0 (0%)
  • Dot 4k display
  • 0 (0%)
  • Dot improved camera (dual cameras?)
  • 0 (0%)
  • Dot moving of buttons to side from back
  • 0 (0%)
  • Dot Aluminum/metal body
  • 0 (0%)
  • Dot other
  • 0 (0%)
  • Total Members Voted: 0
  • View Topic

Author Topic: Pedometer no longer accurate after Kitkat upgrade  (Read 1439 times)

zack30

• popularity: 0
    • View Profile
Pedometer no longer accurate after Kitkat upgrade
« on: April 09, 2014, 06:13:16 AM »
Hi fellow G2 users,

I don't know if some of you use Runtastic Pedometer Pro to track running activity. Anyways its an app that does not need GPS services to keep track steps, distance,speed, and calories burn that works like a charm for me. But unfortunately all that good features was gone after I upgraded to Andoid Kitkat 4.4.2. It looses its accuracy I desire and I do regret upgrading at the first place. Can anyone help me what options or actions I need to try to fix my problem? What I did was reinstall the app, calibrate motion sensor but failed to resolve the issue.

Thanks

Klotar

• Global Moderator
  • popularity: 7
    • View Profile
Re: Pedometer no longer accurate after Kitkat upgrade
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2014, 06:46:00 AM »
From what I have read (yes, I had to search around a bit, as I don't use this app), Kitkat 4.4 introduced native Step Detector and Step Counter functionality as part of the Android operating system; whereas in Jelly Bean and below, it was up to the application to provide the functionality.  There may be a conflict between the OS and the application.

That said, one would think that if the application was written to not make use of the new Kitkat functionality, that the app would have it's own algorithms and counters, that nothing should be affected.  That sounds plausible but I don't know.  From the description of this app and similar apps, the main reliance is on the accelerometer (as you mentioned).

The G2's calibration method seems rather... spartan compared to say, the Galaxy S3.  For the G2, you just lay the device flat for calibration but for the S3, you wave it around in a 'figure 8' (or was that the compass, I forget now).

There is a free app in the Play Store called "Sensor Tester" by "SOAUS" that purports to calibrate the accelerometer sensor.  From  the reviews, the UI on the app is subpar but if you find where to calibrate the accelerometer, many report success.  Good luck.
Klotar -- Supervising Manager,
The Department of Redundancy Department
iPhone 7 | iOS 10.1.0 | Rogers Wireless

mafiaprincess

• popularity: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Pedometer no longer accurate after Kitkat upgrade
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2014, 04:18:02 AM »
I'm a walker not a runner but don't know why there would be a difference.
Anyway. I tried different apps & finally decided on My Tracks. No problem with update. Accurate. Doesn't use up battery. Lots of features - some of whice I'll probably never use. And it's free. (My favorite part). I love it.