popularity: 1
blackwell387
popularity: 0
dropshotennis
G2Fan G2Fan

* G Forum Polls

• What new rumored feature would you MOST like to see in the LG G5?
  • Dot Accessory slot for added accessories/functions
  • 0 (0%)
  • Dot larger battery
  • 0 (0%)
  • Dot 4k display
  • 0 (0%)
  • Dot improved camera (dual cameras?)
  • 0 (0%)
  • Dot moving of buttons to side from back
  • 0 (0%)
  • Dot Aluminum/metal body
  • 0 (0%)
  • Dot other
  • 0 (0%)
  • Total Members Voted: 0
  • View Topic

Author Topic: Screen dims when I rotate while outside...  (Read 4660 times)

Schaefman

• popularity: 0
    • View Profile
Screen dims when I rotate while outside...
« on: April 09, 2014, 07:58:54 PM »
So this is new. Hasn't happened before, but when I turned on Google Maps, and put my phone in the bracket, it dimmed. When it's upright, it's fine, but when I turn it it dims. Didn't happen in the house, but it happens outside, even outside of Google Maps.

The Sprint person I chatted with said to turn of the Automatic Brightness setting, but that seems weird if it works fine when upright, and only dims when I turn it.

I know I've used it sideways during the day in the car before, and I don't think I've touched any settings that would change it. I am not a total novice, just new to this phone.

Thanks.

Klotar

• Global Moderator
  • popularity: 7
    • View Profile
Re: Screen dims when I rotate while outside...
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2014, 09:03:27 AM »
The only thing that comes to mind is that the proximity/light sensor is partly blocked or blocked.

Does this occur anywhere outside or only in a car (outside, as in outside of the house)?  If mainly in the car, possibly it can be interaction with the car windshield's polarized glass and the G2's glass.  I do not recall if the G2 has a polarized glass screen but I believe my previous phone did (Samsung Galaxy S3).

The combination of polarized car windshield, polarized glass on a smartphone and polarized sunglasses can be interesting.  If the G2 does have a polarized glass screen and the lines are vertical, and the car windshield also has vertical lines, then light passes through in portrait but would be blocked in landscape.  You can test this part by wearing polarized sunglasses and looking at the phone's screen in landscape.  If the glass turns black, it is polarized.  Now if that's what's happening between the car and windshield, it's not visible to us, only the light sensor on the phone, which is on the other side of the glass screen and now, no light is passing through.

This theory goes out the window though, if you meant outside and not in a car.  The theory also seems to be backwards from what I'd expect; that is, a blocked light sensor that is detecting less light should make the screen brighter and not dimmer (I would think...?).

The only other thing is that screen protectors can also sometimes have an effect on the light sensor.  When I bought my G2, it had a screen protector applied from the factory, which I left on.  However, that screen protector has a "cut-out" where the sensor, front camera and notification LED are.  Many aftermarket screen protectors cover the whole screen including that top area.  Are you using a screen protector at all?
Klotar -- Supervising Manager,
The Department of Redundancy Department
iPhone 7 | iOS 10.1.0 | Rogers Wireless

Schaefman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2014, 11:18:36 PM »
I am using a screen protector, but it has the cutout for the sensor, the camera, the LED, and the earpiece. I'm going to have to test the polarized glass theory. I think it happened outside the car, too, but I really hope not because I enjoyed that one. It sounds very plausible, so I will check it out in the daylight. I have polarized sunglasses, and I know my windows are polarized because I can see the lines with my sunglasses on.

Klotar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2014, 05:50:08 AM »
I just tried my sunglasses which I wasn't sure if they were polarized or not, and turned the phone sideways. The screen went black so definitely the G2 has polarized glass. But if your phone dims in landscape while standing in the back yard, then there must be some other cause.

There is an app called Lux in the play store that purports to improve screen dimming/brightness issues. Mainly people used it to fix problems with auto brightness on 4.2.2 Jelly Bean, as they apparently fixed or improved the problem on Kitkat (I don't use auto brightness).

Sent from my LG-D803 using Tapatalk

Schaefman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2014, 08:07:19 AM »
That's another thing I wondered... Just after I posted the question in the first place, I found that my phone had downloaded the OTA KitKat update, and I have since upgraded. So I will have to see I still have a problem. I will be going home shortly, and it's supposedly sunny outside. So I will get to test it all out soon.

Schaefman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2014, 10:27:29 AM »
Ok... I am such an idiot! The display wasn't dimmin... it was my sunglassesand the polarized glass. I can see it fine without them. So when I could only see it inside it wa because I took my sunglasses off. I plead brain damage from working the midnight shift.

Thanks for your help.

Klotar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2014, 10:43:17 AM »
Glad that you figured it out!  It'll be our little secret.  Okay, ours and the other forum members.  Oh, and google...  ;)

All kidding aside, it's still a BIT concerning because now in your car, you either have to have it in portrait mode OR not wear your sunglasses.

SFPete

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2014, 09:54:44 PM »
Are you wearing polarized sunglasses? It took me about a week to figure out why I couldn't see in landscape mode. Screen wasn't dim, it was black. OK indoors, bad outdoors sounds like sunglasses.

Pete

Schaefman

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2014, 11:30:26 PM »
Yep, they are polarized. Klotar relayed his theory that perhaps the polarized windows of the car were interacting with the polarized glass of the phone, and it took me a bit, but I realized it was the glasses.

So yes, it can present a problem if I want to wear my sunglasses and use navigation in landscape, but I can live with it, now that I know what it is.