popularity: 1
blackwell387
popularity: 0
dropshotennis
G2Fan G2Fan

* G Forum Polls

• What new rumored feature would you MOST like to see in the LG G5?
  • Dot Accessory slot for added accessories/functions
  • 0 (0%)
  • Dot larger battery
  • 0 (0%)
  • Dot 4k display
  • 0 (0%)
  • Dot improved camera (dual cameras?)
  • 0 (0%)
  • Dot moving of buttons to side from back
  • 0 (0%)
  • Dot Aluminum/metal body
  • 0 (0%)
  • Dot other
  • 0 (0%)
  • Total Members Voted: 0
  • View Topic

Author Topic: Google Camera app available in Play Store  (Read 1004 times)

Klotar

• Global Moderator
  • popularity: 7
    • View Profile
Google Camera app available in Play Store
« on: April 17, 2014, 03:09:34 PM »
For those that are not aware, Google has released Google Camera in the Play Store.  As you may or may not be aware, Google has lately been separating some modules that were always traditionally part of the Android operating system into separate apps that can be updated in the Play Store.  This allows some components to be updated and distributed to end users as fixes and features are added instead of having to wait until your Carrier releases the latest Android update for your G2.  Examples of these apps are GMail, Google Maps, Hangouts, Calendar, Chrome, Google+, Google Translate, YouTube, etc., and now the Camera app joins them.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.GoogleCamera

NOTE: this Camera app is only available for G2's (and other Android devices) running Android 4.4 (Kit Kat).  Those users who's carriers have not yet released their Kit Kat update will have to wait.

However, unlike the other apps listed, this Camera app will co-exist with your existing Camera app.  What, two camera apps for my phone?!

I am not sure if this will be permanent or not, but I am glad that for the time being that the two are separate and both still work.  The new Camera is easier to use (in my opinion) to snap pictures, but the stock G2 Camera app still has more tweakable settings (e.g. ISO) and possibly more features specific to the G2 (whereas the new Camera app is more specific to Kit Kat).

I'm not much of a photographer, so I'll leave it at that.  I do like the new Camera app myself but possibly because my photo needs are simple.  I'm leaving the stock Camera app installed for the time being but don't anticipate using it.  Let us know what YOU think!

Edit/Add: one feature that the new Camera app has that everyone is talking about is "Lens Blur Mode".  This means that if taking a picture of say, a vase on a table, that the vase is in sharp focus but objects that are behind it or farther away are out of focus.  This seems to be an effect that previously was only available to those with DSLR cameras and is considered cool.  You can apparently also set the blur level although I haven't played with it.  The stock G2 Camera app doesn't have this feature as far as I know, so that may be one reason to try the new Google Camera app.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 03:16:38 PM by Klotar »

Klotar -- Supervising Manager,
The Department of Redundancy Department
iPhone 7 | iOS 10.1.0 | Rogers Wireless