popularity: 1
blackwell387
popularity: 0
dropshotennis
G2Fan G2Fan

* G Forum Polls

• What new rumored feature would you MOST like to see in the LG G5?
  • Dot Accessory slot for added accessories/functions
  • 0 (0%)
  • Dot larger battery
  • 0 (0%)
  • Dot 4k display
  • 0 (0%)
  • Dot improved camera (dual cameras?)
  • 0 (0%)
  • Dot moving of buttons to side from back
  • 0 (0%)
  • Dot Aluminum/metal body
  • 0 (0%)
  • Dot other
  • 0 (0%)
  • Total Members Voted: 0
  • View Topic

Author Topic: volume  (Read 1134 times)

mafiaprincess

• popularity: 0
    • View Profile
volume
« on: May 27, 2014, 12:36:42 PM »
Is there any way to boost the volume of the ringtone on my g2? I know part of the problem is the holster I'm using. I'm getting a new one. But even without the holster it's still hard to hear sometimes. Like if I'm in a different room. I was riding a bus yesterday & missed 2 calls. Not a big deal. Annoying mostly. I thought changing ringtone might help but it didn't help much.

Klotar

• Global Moderator
  • popularity: 7
    • View Profile
Re: volume
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2014, 08:00:56 AM »
A holster?!  OLD SKOOL!  (Just teasing, I use one too but not many do these days).

Ringtone and Notification volumes can be an issue sometimes.  I think not so much that the ringtone is quiet, but more so that the vibrate motor is weak (a vibrate motor is basically a gear with an off-center weight that rotates).

Clouding the issue somewhat is that if the G2 is laying on the table at home and it's not noisy (no TV/radio, kids, etc.), it's fine -- you can hear the ringtone/notification and hear the vibration on the table.

The issue as I see it, as a fellow holster wearer, is that on the G2, the speaker fires downwards.  Add to that, that holsters generally have a bottom, and that bottom covers the speaker.  And add on top of that, that most holsters' belt clips are not right against the body of the holster but rather it is a half-inch or so away from it (if the belt clip was flush against the holster body, it would easily snap off from normal body movement).  What that means though, is that because the body of the holster is not touching your body, you can't "feel" the vibration through the belt clip.

So the combination of the speaker firing down, using a holster with a bottom that usually does not have cutouts for the speaker and being on a noisy bus; means often we can't hear our ringtones or notifications, nor can we feel it (yet we can hear that dude 2 seats ahead of us with that obnoxious AC/DC ringtone, can't we?!).

Possible solutions are: 1) put the G2 in your holster upside down (speaker facing up).  Not gonna happen for me but it is worth considering.  2) use a different ringtone; not necessarily a louder ringtone but one that has a melody/tone/sound that overcomes ambient [bus] noise.  That is, usually bus noise is people talking or the diesel engine of the bus, traffic noise, etc.  Using a higher frequency ringtone/notification can help with that.  3) use 'longer' ringtones rather than a short ringtone that repeats itself.  Your mind may realize that your phone is ringing sooner when it recognizes the pattern of a longer ringtone than a repeating shorter one.  4) use an "MP3 Normalizer".  A bit much to get into for this post but unlike most sound files (like .wav files), to make mp3's "louder", you don't have to re-record them or make a new file or go hunt on the internet and try a bunch out to see if it's louder than what you have; mp3 files have something in them that they call "gain".  You can change the gain in any mp3 by using an MP3 Normalizer app (lots of free ones around, just google it).  Basically you can increase the decibels on mp3 files to make them louder just by changing a certain setting inside the file.

The other alternative is to use a profiles app.  You see, on the G2, or any Android device for that matter, you basically have 3 sound settings: Sound (ringtone/vibrate), Vibrate (vibrate only) and Silent (no ringtone/vibrate).  And for Sound, you can move the volume sliders up and down to somewhat control the loudness.  Well, that's fine and dandy but I like to have more granularity on the Sound setting, so I use a profiles app to handle those (see my posts in the G2 Apps forum).  That way, I can have sounds on at work (but quieter sounds so as not to disturb co-workers), louder on the weekends and evenings or on the bus on the way home.  Ever remember when leaving work to switch from Vibrate to Sound but forgot that you had the sound volume low?  Well, when you use a profiles app and you switch to say, "Loud", it changes all your volumes to what you preset the Loud profile for.

On top of that, I use a scheduler to schedule those profiles so that the sounds are louder after I leave work.  At any time, you can also override those settings (say, at the movies in the evening).  Anyways, enough of my rambling -- possibly using a profiles app does not interest you (if it does, we can go into more detail later).
Klotar -- Supervising Manager,
The Department of Redundancy Department
iPhone 7 | iOS 10.1.0 | Rogers Wireless

mafiaprincess

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2014, 03:45:05 AM »
Profiles app & scheduler sound interesting. Think I'll look into that. Holster I'm using is leather so that's probably the main problem. Didn't think about different positions having any effect. I'll try that for now. And look for different holster. Tried armband but phone didn't fit. With or without case. My fault. Saw UNIVERSAL on package so thought you try. But after I looked closer g2 wasn't listed. Guess it meant UNIVERSAL just for brands listed. Didn't really like it anyway. Think phone just too big for my arm.
BTW. Thanks for info on camera. Switching from landscape to profile made all the difference.

robshr

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2014, 06:34:37 PM »
If your rooted with a custom recovery head over to my thread all around volume booster.  http://lgg2forum.com/g2-root-hacks-mods-and-development/(mod)-all-around-volume-booster/
You'll get all the volume you need just download the mod and boot into recovery and flash the mod and you're all set
I forgot to mention there is an app on the playstore that works well it's called volume + I would recommend getting the paid version I tried posting a link to it for you but can't seem to get it to work from my phone
« Last Edit: June 26, 2014, 09:00:13 AM by robshr »