popularity: 1
blackwell387
popularity: 0
dropshotennis
G2Fan G2Fan

* G Forum Polls

• What new rumored feature would you MOST like to see in the LG G5?
  • Dot Accessory slot for added accessories/functions
  • 0 (0%)
  • Dot larger battery
  • 0 (0%)
  • Dot 4k display
  • 0 (0%)
  • Dot improved camera (dual cameras?)
  • 0 (0%)
  • Dot moving of buttons to side from back
  • 0 (0%)
  • Dot Aluminum/metal body
  • 0 (0%)
  • Dot other
  • 0 (0%)
  • Total Members Voted: 0
  • View Topic

Author Topic: Custom sounds not working  (Read 978 times)

somedude

• popularity: 0
    • View Profile
Custom sounds not working
« on: May 28, 2014, 03:38:44 PM »
I have had a G2 since November and love it. I recently switched over to Sprint from AT&T and everything was working fine until this morning. I have custom notification and text sounds for my friends through Zedge, which have been working fine for weeks, and they still show that they are set at to the sounds I put. However, they aren't working anymore. Every notification I get from any text or app sounds as the "Crystal" sound that originally came with the phone. I've tried resetting all the sounds as different custom sounds and even deleting all of them and zedge, and then reinstall them all with no success. It isn't even letting me switch the sound to any of the other original sounds that came on the phone. If anyone has any advice to offer it would be much appreciated! Thanks!

Klotar

• Global Moderator
  • popularity: 7
    • View Profile
Re: Custom sounds not working
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2014, 07:08:42 AM »
Hello.

It sounds like the index to the media player or media storage is corrupt or broken.  A device reboot (shutdown and restart) is the first step which I'd imagine you have done already but if not, please do so first and see if the issue is resolved (sometimes the media will get reindexed during reboot).

First, in layman's terms, I'll explain why I think it's media player or media storage related.  An application that wants to use a sound file (internal sounds that came with the phone or external files you have added) do not DIRECTLY access these files.  That is, your alarm clock app does not directly use a sound file named wakeup.mp3.  It is media storage or the media player that accesses these files and indexes them as to where the files reside on your device.  The application (alarm clock) that wants to use wakeup.mp3 goes to the media player / media storage to get access to the file, as media player / storage knows where the wakeup.mp3 file is.  I probably didn't explain that very well, sorry.  The media player does not actually play the sound file or anything like that, but it sort of acts like a central hub for all sound files, music, video, etc. that all apps can go to and use (sort of like Windows printer drivers, individual applications don't need to know what printer you have, but Windows uses those drivers so that when the app wants to print something, it tells Windows, and Windows talks to the printer to do the printing).

So basically we want to clear this media player / storage "index" and rebuild it.  Rebuilding it is easy (a device restart will do it if there is no index), and deleting is easy too EXCEPT I can't remember where to do that offhand.  HOWEVER, you need to know that all your apps will "forget" your ringtones and notification and alarm sounds and use the system defaults again.  This is because while the link to the media player and the sound files has been rebuilt, the link between your apps and the media player index is now gone.  Don't worry, you do not lose your actual sound files and ringtones.

I'll try to look up which app needs to have it's cache and data cleared and post back.  BASICALLY (you can look to see how to do it keeping in mind that I don't know which app it is yet), you go into Settings, Apps, then SWIPE over to ALL.  Scroll down to find "Media Storage"*** and then click that.  You would then press the Clear Cache button and Clear Data button, escape out and restart your device.  The index will then get rebuilt.

*** Keep in mind that while I am about 75% sure that Media Storage is the one, I am not 100% certain; as while I have done this before, it was months ago and I have forgotten.
Klotar -- Supervising Manager,
The Department of Redundancy Department
iPhone 7 | iOS 10.1.0 | Rogers Wireless

somedude

• popularity: 0
    • View Profile
re: Klotar
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2014, 08:05:28 PM »
Thanks Klotar! I just had to restart it... haha so simple I didn't even try. Thanks for your long detailed reply!

Klotar

• Global Moderator
  • popularity: 7
    • View Profile
Re: Custom sounds not working
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2014, 08:40:20 AM »
Great to hear!

While there should really be no need to regularly reboot your phone, just like a desktop computer/laptop, a reboot does refresh things and solve minor issues.  So I make it a point to occasionally (every couple of weeks or so) reboot my device.  No, we shouldn't HAVE to, but it certainly doesn't hurt.
Klotar -- Supervising Manager,
The Department of Redundancy Department
iPhone 7 | iOS 10.1.0 | Rogers Wireless