popularity: 1
blackwell387
popularity: 0
dropshotennis
G2Fan G2Fan

* G Forum Polls

• What new rumored feature would you MOST like to see in the LG G5?
  • Dot Accessory slot for added accessories/functions
  • 0 (0%)
  • Dot larger battery
  • 0 (0%)
  • Dot 4k display
  • 0 (0%)
  • Dot improved camera (dual cameras?)
  • 0 (0%)
  • Dot moving of buttons to side from back
  • 0 (0%)
  • Dot Aluminum/metal body
  • 0 (0%)
  • Dot other
  • 0 (0%)
  • Total Members Voted: 0
  • View Topic

Author Topic: Voice Dialling from Bluetooth  (Read 2370 times)

Passim

• popularity: 0
    • View Profile
Voice Dialling from Bluetooth
« on: June 10, 2014, 10:33:15 AM »
Hi

I have an unlocked LG G2 " international" version running 4.4.2. It has VoiceMate and Q Voice installed. I use a Plantronics Legend bluetooth headset. The headset works fine when receiving calls but the the phone will not respond for voice dialling when I press the call button. If I am dual paired with my works Nokia Lumia it responds perfectly and voice dials. The LG will not respond at all whether dual paired or singly paired. If I plug in a chorded headset the call button starts Google voice dialling.

Dose anybody have any suggestions? I have tried several different apps but none of them will respond to the call button.

Regards 

Passim

Klotar

• Global Moderator
  • popularity: 7
    • View Profile
Re: Voice Dialling from Bluetooth
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2014, 12:25:43 PM »
I haven't played with my BT enough to try voice dial, etc. but I did stumble across an promising sounding app the other day that might fit the bill:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.gman

I am not sure if it is oriented for car head units or earsets though.

Curious, have you tried using Google Voice instead of Voicemate as your dialer?
Klotar -- Supervising Manager,
The Department of Redundancy Department
iPhone 7 | iOS 10.1.0 | Rogers Wireless

Passim

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2014, 02:12:42 PM »
Klotar

Thanks for the suggestion, the app is for headsets without a call button and is activated from the screen. My headset has a call button, it just doen't activate the phone. Voice Mate is integrated as a system app. Not sure I would know how to get Google Voice instead.

Regards

Passim

Klotar

• Global Moderator
  • popularity: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2014, 02:40:21 PM »
Here also is a seemingly promising app (there is a paid version but the link below is to the free one) :

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.yado.btbutfree

Supposedly this app allows you to 'map' the button on your headset to a function on your G2 (Voice Dial/Mate or Google Now) and set it as default.

That said, it appears from searching around that there are some incompatibilities between various devices and bluetooth headsets.  That is, some work with each other and some do not; just like some routers and devices just do not get along (phone works with other routers and router works with other phones but just won't work reliably with each other).

I'm focusing on the call button on the headset not triggering voice mate / dial since you have tested it using a wired headset and that the bluetooth headset works for answering calls.  I agree that it shouldn't be necessary to install 3rd party apps to get something working that should have been working from the beginning but sometimes that is what it takes.  Hope this workaround is successful for you.
Klotar -- Supervising Manager,
The Department of Redundancy Department
iPhone 7 | iOS 10.1.0 | Rogers Wireless

junocat5

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2014, 06:38:36 PM »
I'm in a similar situastion as Passim - Plantronics Legend headset (the best headset I've ever owned), LG G2 smartphone (good phone, I guess) and VoiceMate (the worst voice dialing app I have ever used). In my case the button on the headset works just fine to initiate a call, in fact it works so well that I have two Legend headsets paired with the phone (home/car).  My gripe is with VoiceMate. This thing is terrible and as a System App I would love to know how to get rid of it. I was not a big fan of Google Voice on the Droid4 and Droid Ultra but now that I'm saddled with VoiceMate I'm almost ready to junk the G2 and bring back the Droid. Don't get me wrong, the LG G2 is a fine phone but I have to interact with it all day long in a hands-free manner while driving so I can't keep reaching across the dash to type in a code to wake up the phone, then tap an icon for a better voice dialer app while the car is moving around. I sholud be able to just press the button on the Legend headset and have that link to a better voice dialer but for some reason VoiceMate always reasserts itself into the stream in spite of the other options I have tried (Google Voice, Utter, etc). 

Anyone know how to get rid of VoiceMate short of rooting the phone (I don't want to go there)? For the next phone I will do more homework before I buy. 

junocat5

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2014, 06:40:21 PM »
Klotar.

BTW, love that tagline ("The Department of Redundancy Department").