popularity: 1
blackwell387
popularity: 0
dropshotennis
G2Fan G2Fan

* G Forum Polls

• What new rumored feature would you MOST like to see in the LG G5?
  • Dot Accessory slot for added accessories/functions
  • 0 (0%)
  • Dot larger battery
  • 0 (0%)
  • Dot 4k display
  • 0 (0%)
  • Dot improved camera (dual cameras?)
  • 0 (0%)
  • Dot moving of buttons to side from back
  • 0 (0%)
  • Dot Aluminum/metal body
  • 0 (0%)
  • Dot other
  • 0 (0%)
  • Total Members Voted: 0
  • View Topic

Author Topic: Battery Draining (and heat up) issues?  (Read 2271 times)

mbressman

• popularity: 0
    • View Profile
Battery Draining (and heat up) issues?
« on: June 16, 2014, 09:37:29 PM »
I'm pretty happy with my Sprint LG G2 (although not with Sprint - since switching to the LG G2 from a GS3 it's been horrible - am still working with them to resolve everything), but lately my phone has been getting extremely hot at times and this definitely seems to contribute to the battery draining faster.  It definitely seems to happen when I take my phone out (i.e. when driving, not on my home WiFI network and in my home, etc.).  I'm wondering if anyone has any good tips for trying to figure out what might be causing this and how I can get better battery life and avoid these heat-ups/battery drains?

I already tried disabling the Sprint Connections Optimizer, and now I'm wondering if the constant connection/disconnection from Optimum WiFi hotspots (since I'm an Optimum customer and have enabled my phone to connect to Optimum hotspots when in range) could be causing this?

Thanks!

Klotar

• Global Moderator
  • popularity: 7
    • View Profile
Re: Battery Draining (and heat up) issues?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2014, 07:42:23 AM »
I don't have any solution for you, but a couple thoughts:

In general, on Android devices, the device getting warm and/or battery draining quickly is caused either by the CPU working hard (e.g. playing a graphics intensive game -- normal), the CPU working constantly (a poorly written application that is constantly keeping the device working -- not normal), searching for signal in signal-poor areas, or searching for location in an area where it is not able to (e.g. indoors).

Since the battery and temperature seem fine when you are at home, I'd tentatively disregard the game playing (I only mentioned that because games do drain the battery and get the device hot but it shouldn't be a surprise) and disregard a poorly written application (since otherwise, you would also have the battery drain and heat issues at home).  I may tend to disregard location also since if it doesn't have a problem locating you at home as opposed to locating you outdoors and in the open in your car... that leaves signal/radio.

Obviously, this isn't very technical or logical -- I am just going through my own thought process. 

First, we have to remember that the signal bars on any phone do not denote data service such as LTE, EDGE, etc.  The signal bars represent Voice Calls signal strength.  I'm not familiar with CDMA technologies (like Sprint is or was) but for GSM devices, you can have 5 bar voice signal strength but no data, and no voice signal but full speed data connectivity.  Also on GSM devices, LTE is "data only", it does not do voice calls.  When I have a voice call, the radio switches from LTE to 4G (HSPA/HSPA+) and switches back when the call is over.  Sorry to get sidetracked but what I was leading up to is that I am thinking that you have both good signal at home AND good data connection at home (via wi-fi) so that there are no radio or signal issues.

So if my shaky logic holds, and I do admit it's not scientific by any means, how is your signal strength (voice signal) as you move about?  While it may be those wi-fi hotspots, that would be easy enough to eliminate in theory by turning off wi-fi for a day when not home, to see if things improve.
Klotar -- Supervising Manager,
The Department of Redundancy Department
iPhone 7 | iOS 10.1.0 | Rogers Wireless

robshr

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2014, 07:56:31 PM »
One thing you can do is go into Wi-Fi then settings then advanced Wi-Fi and turn off Wi-Fi always scanning this will help a lot on the battery drain

nash211

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2014, 07:16:02 PM »
Mine also gets hot, tried everything to get it to be cooler, as far as the battery drain I installed a different ROM and it works allot better. My phone is rooted.

shahzad.ahmad27

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2014, 10:16:09 PM »
My mobile is not getting hot a lot... Pls check your music file or any file might be corrupted that also leads to draining battery and making hot.so the best way is to factory reset. Also disable unused stock apps or uninstall if rooted.don't use any type of ram booster or clear cache app or any battery saver. Use Grrenify app to protect some apps to run in background. Switch off or for longer time for auto sync option on some apps. Any games after playing kill the game from recent also.Then check if its giving u any positive result or not.