popularity: 1
blackwell387
popularity: 0
dropshotennis
G2Fan G2Fan

* G Forum Polls

• What new rumored feature would you MOST like to see in the LG G5?
  • Dot Accessory slot for added accessories/functions
  • 0 (0%)
  • Dot larger battery
  • 0 (0%)
  • Dot 4k display
  • 0 (0%)
  • Dot improved camera (dual cameras?)
  • 0 (0%)
  • Dot moving of buttons to side from back
  • 0 (0%)
  • Dot Aluminum/metal body
  • 0 (0%)
  • Dot other
  • 0 (0%)
  • Total Members Voted: 0
  • View Topic

Author Topic: location won't connect  (Read 2010 times)

adam817

• popularity: 0
    • View Profile
location won't connect
« on: July 08, 2014, 10:09:37 AM »
This is my first LG product,  and will be my last.  This phone sucks.  First Swype stopped working and freezes every time I try to use it. Now the location won't connect. Yes it's turned on.  I hate this phone and can't wait to get rid of it.  Oh I forgot the pos crashed while on vacation in Disney World and all my pictures were lost.  Yes I took the the phone in to a service center they were unable to recover anything.

is there a trick to getting location services to connect?   I downloaded some tool thing that was suggested and that doesn't work either.  I heard nothing but good things when it came to LG products,  is will not waste another dollar with this brand. 

Klotar

• Global Moderator
  • popularity: 7
    • View Profile
Re: location won't connect
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2014, 11:31:37 AM »
Sorry to hear about your troubles.

If location services NEVER finds your location (as opposed to taking a long long time), I have read elsewhere that sometimes pressing the top right-hand corner of the G2 will "help make contact" somewhere (GPS chip?).  Obviously that would point to assembly issues but that would narrow things down to not being the OS or the applications.  IF that solves the issue AND you are out of warranty (can't take the phone back for replacement), you might try taking the cover off (not designed to come off but can be done if patient and careful) and pad the area between the cover and the GPS chip.

For Swype, I have no suggestions, other than to try another keyboard with Swype-like features (e.g. Swiftkey or others in the Play Store).

For pictures, you might use Dropbox or Picasa, to upload pictures to the cloud; that way if disaster strikes, you will have backups (you can set the apps to only transfer while on Wi-Fi).

As with any device, be it Apple or Samsung, once in a while you may get a lemon or there may be a bad production batch.  While you have indicated that this is your last LG product, is an exchange or return for another device (LG or not) out of the question?
Klotar -- Supervising Manager,
The Department of Redundancy Department
iPhone 7 | iOS 10.1.0 | Rogers Wireless

adam817

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2014, 11:11:17 PM »
Location connects whenever it feels like it.  There is no rhyme or reason to it. Sometimes it connects and gives me directions from 5 hours away from my location.

I held out buying a phone because I was waiting for Sprint to carry the phone I wanted.  Unfortunately I broke my last phone and needed a new one.  I did a bit of research and the G2 had great reviews.  Not sure why.  Now I am stuck with this until my contract expires.  I would love to trade it in now, but the carriers control that.

Klotar

• Global Moderator
  • popularity: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2014, 06:45:06 AM »
Okay, so the GPS/Location works -- but not reliably (i.e. okay, it sucks).  That's not so bad (but hear me out before lynching ;) ).

To some extent I have experienced that too -- BUT... when I run GPS/Location tests, it seems to take a while to lock on -- YET when I NEED it for my navigation apps, it starts up very quickly and locks on within seconds. **

** EDIT/ADD: Here's what I mean: as I reply to you, I am sitting in my office (okay, it's near a window), and I start up a GPS Status & Toolbox app.  It shows as "searching" and doesn't show my lat/long coordinates (yet).  But I exit out of that and fire up my SatNav app (Tom Tom, see below) and I tell it I want to go home and it's instantly giving me directions from work to home (which was embarrassing as the volume was loud in a quiet open office, hehe).  The last time I used the Tom Tom app was not from at work so it was able to locate me correctly.

I do not use Google Maps (I use either Tom Tom US & Canada, or CoPilot Live Standard USA & Canada).

The toolbox apps I use are, GPS Status & Toolbox, and GPS Test Plus.  Not sure what GPS tools that you mentioned that didn't work for you, but these two apps download "GPS Location Assistance Data" for our AGPS (Assisted GPS), which help speed up first-time-to-lock when starting up the GPS "cold".

What application were you using, that Location Services let you down on?
Klotar -- Supervising Manager,
The Department of Redundancy Department
iPhone 7 | iOS 10.1.0 | Rogers Wireless

producerlucifer666

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2014, 07:12:01 AM »
This is my first LG product,  and will be my last.  This phone sucks.  First Swype stopped working and freezes every time I try to use it. Now the location won't connect. Yes it's turned on.  I hate this phone and can't wait to get rid of it.  Oh I forgot the pos crashed while on vacation in Disney World and all my pictures were lost.  Yes I took the the phone in to a service center they were unable to recover anything.

is there a trick to getting location services to connect?   I downloaded some tool thing that was suggested and that doesn't work either.  I heard nothing but good things when it came to LG products,  is will not waste another dollar with this brand.
I have a step up, lg g3. Try pressing and holding the location button until the apps configuration shows, maybe there is a setting there that might fix your issue. As for the freezing issue, do a factory wipe, the add apps slowly until u find the one that's causing the freezing problem, worked for me, takes time but be patient it'll pay off!