popularity: 1
blackwell387
popularity: 0
dropshotennis
G2Fan G2Fan

* G Forum Polls

• What new rumored feature would you MOST like to see in the LG G5?
  • Dot Accessory slot for added accessories/functions
  • 0 (0%)
  • Dot larger battery
  • 0 (0%)
  • Dot 4k display
  • 0 (0%)
  • Dot improved camera (dual cameras?)
  • 0 (0%)
  • Dot moving of buttons to side from back
  • 0 (0%)
  • Dot Aluminum/metal body
  • 0 (0%)
  • Dot other
  • 0 (0%)
  • Total Members Voted: 0
  • View Topic

Author Topic: download  (Read 930 times)

mafiaprincess

• popularity: 0
    • View Profile
download
« on: July 13, 2014, 08:16:30 AM »
Sometimes I download something from the net but when I try to open it I get a message that says FILE NOT SUPPORTED. How do I get access to the file?

Klotar

• Global Moderator
  • popularity: 7
    • View Profile
Re: download
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2014, 06:34:46 AM »
Hi mafiaprincess,

Well, it depends on the file extension of the file that you downloaded.  Similar to Windows, there are file associations (Word opens .doc, Excel opens .xls, Adobe Reader opens .pdf, etc.), and android has those too.  The file that was downloaded probably does not [yet] have an application that would open it associated with it.  For example, you can download a flash file (.swf) but you may not have a flash player.

The G2 has most viewers pre-installed for common file formats but it is impossible to include something for every file type.  One could also arbitrarily decide to name a file with an .xxx extension (I just made that up), which can be viewed with a plain text editor but there is nothing on the G2 (or any other phone/computer) to tell it that a plain text editor opens that up.  On the G2, the Polaris Viewer allows us to see Excel and Word files, but I replaced Polaris with Office Mobile and made that my default for Word/Excel files.

If you can tell us the file extension of the file you downloaded, we can probably steer you in the right direction.
Klotar -- Supervising Manager,
The Department of Redundancy Department
iPhone 7 | iOS 10.1.0 | Rogers Wireless

mafiaprincess

• popularity: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2014, 02:30:13 PM »
THIS TIME IT WAS asp. FUNNY THING. I'M NOT SURE WHAT IT WAS NOW. I THINK IT WAS SOMETHING I TRIED TO DOWNLOAD FROM A MEDICAL SITE. BUT I NOW HAVE FILE IN DOWNLOAD FOLDER CALLED documents.asp. STILL CURIOUS BECAUSE IT'S HAPPENED BEFORE.  WHEN IT DID I  JUST CHANGED IT. USUALLY  TO jpg. BUT I ALWAYS GOT WARNING MESSAGE. SO I STOPPED DOING IT.

Klotar

• Global Moderator
  • popularity: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2014, 06:31:48 AM »
Hmmm... a file with a .asp extension usually means it is a sort of web page (Microsoft's Active Server Page).  I think if you rename the file extension from .asp to .html, your browser should open it up.

That is my best guess.  Possibly someone else knows better and can chime in but it shouldn't hurt to try that.  Let us know how you make out.
Klotar -- Supervising Manager,
The Department of Redundancy Department
iPhone 7 | iOS 10.1.0 | Rogers Wireless