popularity: 1
blackwell387
popularity: 0
dropshotennis
G2Fan G2Fan

* G Forum Polls

• What new rumored feature would you MOST like to see in the LG G5?
  • Dot Accessory slot for added accessories/functions
  • 0 (0%)
  • Dot larger battery
  • 0 (0%)
  • Dot 4k display
  • 0 (0%)
  • Dot improved camera (dual cameras?)
  • 0 (0%)
  • Dot moving of buttons to side from back
  • 0 (0%)
  • Dot Aluminum/metal body
  • 0 (0%)
  • Dot other
  • 0 (0%)
  • Total Members Voted: 0
  • View Topic

Author Topic: The Back Buttons  (Read 2231 times)

Klotar

• Global Moderator
  • popularity: 7
    • View Profile
The Back Buttons
« on: September 12, 2013, 05:20:38 PM »
Without having held a G2 in my hand, what has me most curious is how the device will sit on a flat surface (screen up).

Will the volume button "stick out" higher (when viewing it with the back facing up) than the rest of the back cover, thereby making it rock back and forth when face up.

While I certainly don't want to place the phone screen down to scratch it up, I am thinking I don't want to place the phone screen up either if the button sticks out, know what I mean?

Ideally, there would be a cover for the G2 that will have a cutout for the button in the back and that the thickness of that cover will be enough to have it higher than the button (if it does indeed stick out).  I'm also a holster user (which is against the stream these days, especially with these larger smartphones these days) and worry that the back button will snag or catch on the holster while sliding the phone in.

I think I can really get used to using that back button but I kinda worry that I'll snap it off somehow, hehe.

So, how much does it stick out?  Any early device owners able to tell me?

Klotar -- Supervising Manager,
The Department of Redundancy Department
iPhone 7 | iOS 10.1.0 | Rogers Wireless

Babyfacemagee

• Administrator
  • popularity: 5
    • View Profile
Re: The Back Buttons
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2013, 07:43:37 PM »
Ok, from what I've read on both Anandtech and TheNextWeb in their reviews, the phone does have a bit of a rocking issue when placed on its back, but apparently there's no real danger of the buttons getting damaged...it's a sturdy design.   There's a bit of a plastic 'lip' that surrounds the button so when you put the phone down it rests on this lip and not the actual button.  They do say that the buttons on the back become second nature after awhile and you actually might even find it odd going back to a 'regular' side button design.   All of them seem to really like the 'knock on' feature of turning on the phone by simply tapping on the screen.
Use this link to get $10 in FREE BITCOIN at Coinbase, the world's most popular and trusted cryptocurrency account.

Klotar

• Global Moderator
  • popularity: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2013, 07:11:17 AM »
That's good to hear, Babyfacemagee.  I think that a nice cover with a cutout on the back (like for the camera on most devices) would probably address any lingering concerns -- but good to know that the button is well designed.
Klotar -- Supervising Manager,
The Department of Redundancy Department
iPhone 7 | iOS 10.1.0 | Rogers Wireless

sperk389

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2013, 02:08:46 PM »
I have had the phone for a few days now and found I don't have any problems with rocking back and forth. I did purchase a very cheap modular case for it (2.99) from eBay, and found nothing wrong with what ur saying AT ALL .... I can still access the buttens if required and they feel smart. Don't have any elution's this is a proper smart phone that both feels great and does what it says :) . I have come form an IPhone 4s that was the top dog and to be fair it doesn't seem a patch on this nice new LG G2.. Have faith :) its proper good ...
« Last Edit: November 22, 2013, 02:46:17 PM by sperk389 »

jdroid

• popularity: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2013, 10:46:19 PM »
There's a lot of cases which overlap the back button, the disadvantage only is you will need extra effort in reaching which is not the case when bare naked. Beware, if its always knocked down hard, it will cause problems in the future.

Sent from my LG-D802 using Tapatalk

sperk389

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2013, 02:52:57 PM »
im guessing in response to jdroid's post you wouldn't buy a case that has the back button overlapped as there are so many more out there that do seem to fit the bill...all you need to do is a quick search on Ebay or Amazon and im sure you will find the perfect case for you :) that doesn't obscure your back buttons .