popularity: 1
blackwell387
popularity: 0
dropshotennis
G2Fan G2Fan

* G Forum Polls

• What new rumored feature would you MOST like to see in the LG G5?
  • Dot Accessory slot for added accessories/functions
  • 0 (0%)
  • Dot larger battery
  • 0 (0%)
  • Dot 4k display
  • 0 (0%)
  • Dot improved camera (dual cameras?)
  • 0 (0%)
  • Dot moving of buttons to side from back
  • 0 (0%)
  • Dot Aluminum/metal body
  • 0 (0%)
  • Dot other
  • 0 (0%)
  • Total Members Voted: 0
  • View Topic

Author Topic: Nokia HERE Beta (Satnav App)  (Read 1543 times)

Klotar

• Global Moderator
  • popularity: 7
    • View Profile
Nokia HERE Beta (Satnav App)
« on: December 11, 2014, 09:18:46 AM »
As many of us know, with the G3's QHD resolution, some satnav apps that worked fine on previous devices no longer work on the G3.  One example of such is TomTom's satnav app, which no longer works on QHD devices (G3, Note 4, Droid Turbo, etc.).  While there are paid spoken turn-by-turn satnav alternatives out there, such as Sygic, Co-Pilot, Garmin, etc. that have offline maps, and Google Maps is just fine -- however, Google Maps uses data and does not store maps on the device; so navigation in areas with no cell signal, etc. can be iffy.

Nokia has released it's beta of it's "HERE" satnav app in the Play Store.  It's free and includes the ability to run in offline mode with maps stored on-device.  I installed it last night myself on my G3 (and also on the wife's G2) and played with it a bit.  It's fairly similar to Google Maps in appearance, fairly no-frills but gets the job done.  It does support speed limit notifications, traffic updates, 3D view, etc.  All the basics are there: spoken turn by turn instructions, day/night mode, destination search, route overviews, avoidances, etc.  Best of all, it's free.  Nokia HERE is the #1 rated satnav app for Windows Phone; and while apparently it's iPhone launch was less than a success, it will be re-introduced for iPhone in Jan 2015.  But it's here for Android now using the Play Store link below:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.here.app.maps

As mentioned above, while I did install and play with the app, I didn't really drive anywhere, so I do not know it's routing/re-routing capabilities, responsiveness of screen draws, accuracy, etc.  But you can judge for yourself.  Yes, you do have to sign up for a Nokia Here account (a 2 minute process) but there are otherwise no hidden costs or in-app purchases.  Maps can be downloaded by Country or state (in Canada, my province was only a few hundred MB and so I didn't have to download all of Canada [2 GB]... if I decide to travel outside of my province, then I can choose to download those maps and even delete them later).  All maps are free.

Let us know what you think if you give it a try.

Klotar -- Supervising Manager,
The Department of Redundancy Department
iPhone 7 | iOS 10.1.0 | Rogers Wireless

Babyfacemagee

• Administrator
  • popularity: 5
    • View Profile
Re: Nokia HERE Beta (Satnav App)
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2014, 06:53:41 PM »
Interesting.  Thanks Klotar.  I'll give it a try.
Use this link to get $10 in FREE BITCOIN at Coinbase, the world's most popular and trusted cryptocurrency account.