popularity: 1
blackwell387
popularity: 0
dropshotennis
G2Fan G2Fan

* G Forum Polls

• What new rumored feature would you MOST like to see in the LG G5?
  • Dot Accessory slot for added accessories/functions
  • 0 (0%)
  • Dot larger battery
  • 0 (0%)
  • Dot 4k display
  • 0 (0%)
  • Dot improved camera (dual cameras?)
  • 0 (0%)
  • Dot moving of buttons to side from back
  • 0 (0%)
  • Dot Aluminum/metal body
  • 0 (0%)
  • Dot other
  • 0 (0%)
  • Total Members Voted: 0
  • View Topic

Author Topic: Looking to Upgrade  (Read 1967 times)

jack1953

• popularity: 0
    • View Profile
Looking to Upgrade
« on: November 25, 2013, 07:55:08 AM »
My wife and I are currently Samsung Galaxy S3 carriers!   :-[

We didnt' feel the upgrade to the S4 was worth it for us, since the new features really didn't affect us.  Outside of the upgrade on the camera from 8 to 13, which we both decided we were quite happy with the picture quality of the S3 8 camera.

Here's where I need your help.  We are looking very hard at the LG G2.  The specs on this thing are a beast.

Questions:

How do you like the controls on the back?

Do you find yourself powering on and off from the controls or the screen?

Any major issues that have had to be fixed and does LG stay on top of things pretty well?

Also, any other opinions, advice, or reviews you want to give, please weigh in!

Thanks,

Jack

Klotar

• Global Moderator
  • popularity: 7
    • View Profile
Re: Looking to Upgrade
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2013, 09:47:13 AM »
I also came over from the S3.

Camera-wise, I'm not much of a photobug (didn't take many pics on the S3 nor have I on the G2), so I can't really comment there but the battery life is the biggest for me.  With my usage patterns, I can last a full day (TBH, I don't need more than 18 hours, +/- for safety margin -- so 24 hours is perfect).

Radio-wise, I find the G2 better than the S3 for a specific example:

S3 - at work desk, I get LTE.  I get into elevator, I lose signal.  I get out of elevator, I get 4G (this is HSPA+, not LTE).  Eventually (in 1 to 10 mins), it will switch back to LTE.  I found this acceptable since I had no reason to think this was bad; HOWEVER, although the S3 showed 4G (HSPA+), I couldn't do anything (browse web, retrieve email, etc.) unless I switched to airplane mode and back or rebooted (turning mobile data off and on did not help).

G2 -- at work desk, I get LTE.  I  get into elevator, I get 4G (HSPA+).  I get out of elevator, I get LTE.  Best of all, the 4G in the elevator is good enough to browse the web and get email.  I sit at the same ole desk and take the same ole elevator, so I can only make one conclusion: the G2 (for me, in this example) radio or software/hardware is better than the S3.  GRANTED, the G2 supports 2600 LTE (which is available where I work) and the S3 didn't, so that could be the difference but the bottom line is that I get data with the G2 where I couldn't before with the S3.

Wifi/Bluetooth -- haven't noticed much difference.  LCD display much easier to read outdoors.  I don't personally notice the difference between AMOLED and IPS for colours.  Overall, everything is faster as can be expected.  Quick Charge also rocks (0 - 100% in about 90 minutes).
Klotar -- Supervising Manager,
The Department of Redundancy Department
iPhone 7 | iOS 10.1.0 | Rogers Wireless

sperk389

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2013, 04:04:58 PM »
Hi Jack, to be fair my sister has the S4 and she loves it.. that said to be honest i believe it doesn't seem a patch on my G2 . I have a better camera (by far) the battery life is sooooo much better on the LG. My sister gets .... if she is lucky about a day out of her battery, I on the other hand get about 3days+ (depending on what im doing)
To be fair i don't really use the buttons on the back other than to reboot the phone. Once the volume is set then you don't really need them (other than to reboot) i haven't found anything my G2 cant handle, i love the fact it handles all my calls, txt and email effortlessly. far better than my old i phone 4s.

jack1953

• popularity: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2013, 07:24:34 AM »
Hi Jack, to be fair my sister has the S4 and she loves it.. that said to be honest i believe it doesn't seem a patch on my G2 . I have a better camera (by far) the battery life is sooooo much better on the LG. My sister gets .... if she is lucky about a day out of her battery, I on the other hand get about 3days+ (depending on what im doing)
To be fair i don't really use the buttons on the back other than to reboot the phone. Once the volume is set then you don't really need them (other than to reboot) i haven't found anything my G2 cant handle, i love the fact it handles all my calls, txt and email effortlessly. far better than my old i phone 4s.

Thanks sperk.  I have the S3 with Verizon and not due an upgrade until July!!!  I could do the Edge program and give them my S3, pay the taxes on the total cost of the phone and then just pay the retail price of the phone over a 24 month period.  Not so sure I want it that bad.  It is much superior to the S3, for sure!!